Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 20 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 12:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Moderator closing a thread due to obvious personal bias

this thread is locked
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,004 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 20, 2013 14:40 |  #16

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #16467150 (external link)
I haven't cause honestly, I couldn't care less. Whether Skip called it a "lifestyle" or a "sexual orientation" or whatever word he chose, I don't see the big deal.

Forgive my ignorance here it seems like I'm stirring trouble. I'm not. I just don't see the big deal.

The point you seem to be missing is the implication that his final post is the correct view and then he closed the post as if his word was the final comment. If he had closed the thread with no comment he would have my support, but weighing in on one side and then using his supreme power to end the thread was at the very least bad form. If you view moderators in the sense of the word as its used in political debates, they are there to keep the arguments fair and on track, they dont throw their weight around arbitrarily.

sponsored links
Pekka
El General Moderator
17,642 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Nov 20, 2013 14:40 |  #17

onona wrote in post #16466915 (external link)
It's clear to me that the moderator who closed this thread has done so for personal reasons,

That is false, the thread was closed as it went so off topic and religious. We got a lot of reports about that thread.

Moderator actions (closing the thread) are actions POTN is fully supporting. Their opinions and what they write of various subjects are their own (as are mine), they are not official POTN opinions. I have now removed that controversial paragraph so that those two "roles" would not be seen as one.

Skip can follow-up this if he needs to, but I consider the feedback noted and ask that we move on. Thanks.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 20, 2013 14:42 |  #18

Mut almost all of Skip's post was about showing acceptace.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

onona
THREAD ­ STARTER
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 20, 2013 14:42 |  #19

I haven't cause honestly, I couldn't care less. Whether Skip called it a "lifestyle" or a "sexual orientation" or whatever word he chose, I don't see the big deal.

Forgive my ignorance here it seems like I'm stirring trouble. I'm not. I just don't see the big deal.

Honestly, it does kinda look like you're stirring.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 20, 2013 14:44 |  #20

gonzogolf wrote in post #16467167 (external link)
The point you seem to be missing is the implication that his final post is the correct view and then he closed the post as if his word was the final comment.

His post being the final post doesn't imply that it is the correct view. We all know that. If you don't agree with his final post, then all the money in the world won't be able to persuade you to believe that it's the correct view.

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

onona
THREAD ­ STARTER
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 20, 2013 14:45 |  #21

Pekka wrote in post #16467168 (external link)
That is false, the thread was closed as it went so off topic and religious. We got a lot of reports about that thread.

What about my post that was deleted? Why was that deleted, while the comment I was responding to was left alone?

Leigh

onona
THREAD ­ STARTER
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 20, 2013 14:48 |  #22

I can't help noticing on your website that you talk about your church. Something tells me you're not as ignorant about the gay rights debate as you're suggesting.

Leigh

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 20, 2013 14:52 |  #23

onona wrote in post #16467197 (external link)
I can't help noticing on your website that you talk about your church. Something tells me you're not as ignorant about the gay rights debate as you're suggesting.

Yea, I talk about my church. And yes, I take the stance that being homosexual is a "lifestyle" (or so you guys put it) and that it's wrong. But I don't follow the news about the gay rights and all the states that are legalizing gay marriages and what not.

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 20, 2013 14:55 |  #24

Pekka wrote in post #16467168 (external link)

Moderator actions (closing the thread) are actions POTN is fully supporting. Their opinions and what they write of various subjects are their own (as are mine), they are not official POTN opinions. I have now removed that controversial paragraph so that those two "roles" would not be seen as one.

Skip can follow-up this if he needs to, but I consider the feedback noted and ask that we move on. Thanks.

...while you deleted the most controversial of statements: what you left still advocates a political position and IMHO should also be deleted. All the points that Skip bought up were irrelevant to the decision made by the court: nothing that Skip listed has anything at all to do with the suit at all. You cannot force a Catholic Hospital to perform an abortion. But I'm absolutely sure that a Catholic Hospital would get into trouble for not attempting to save a gay person's life. I'm not sure why you allowed those points to stand in the thread.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

onona
THREAD ­ STARTER
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 20, 2013 15:04 |  #25

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #16467207 (external link)
Yea, I talk about my church. And yes, I take the stance that being homosexual is a "lifestyle" (or so you guys put it)

And yet you claimed to not understand why the term "lifestyle" has any significance in this debate? And that you "couldn't care less" about the issue, even though you now admit to actually having a negative view about it.

Apparently being gay is wrong to you, but not lying. I see.

Leigh

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 20, 2013 15:04 |  #26

onona wrote in post #16467197 (external link)

...this kind of comment really isn't constructive. We aren't supposed to debate religion or politics here: thats what this thread is about. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 20, 2013 15:06 |  #27

onona wrote in post #16467190 (external link)
What about my post that was deleted? Why was that deleted, while the comment I was responding to was left alone?

Yhe day you have found a human being that is totally unable to make mistakes, please call me - I'm pretty interested in magic.

Haven't you noticed that when a debate runs too hot, it now and then happens that a post too much or too little gets erased? It's called collateral damage and often hard to avoid.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 20, 2013 15:11 |  #28

onona wrote in post #16467244 (external link)
And yet you claimed to not understand why the term "lifestyle" has any significance in this debate? And that you "couldn't care less" about the issue, even though you now admit to actually having a negative view about it.

Apparently being gay is wrong to you, but not lying. I see.

Haha. Now you're calling me a liar. *sigh*

Like I've said before, I don't agree with homosexuality. But if the entire US decides to legalize it, then so be it. It's your choice.

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 20, 2013 15:13 |  #29

banquetbear wrote in post #16467245 (external link)
...this kind of comment really isn't constructive. We aren't supposed to debate religion or politics here: thats what this thread is about. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Ironic, isn't it?

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,642 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Nov 20, 2013 15:21 |  #30

OK, I'll close this thread now. The debate has gone to religion, political views and is now nothing but flamewar.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links

3,346 views & 0 likes for this thread
Moderator closing a thread due to obvious personal bias
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.