Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 21:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to tell what paper is safe with Krylon coat spray

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 26, 2013 21:05 |  #1

Is there any way to tell if a type of ink-jet printer paper is safe to use with Krylon Preserve It spray coating, other than actually trying it out?

My first experiment was with HP Advanced Photo paper, which was a mess - the spray melted the ink off in spots. It worked great with HP Premium Plus photo paper. But I have some other paper types too, and I'm trying to avoid wasting any.

I've read that "RC" (plastic coated) papers work, and uncoated papers won't. Or is it 'swellable' vs 'porous'? I didn't expect the quick-dry HP Advanced to work, but there are other papers that seem to be coated (Epson Premium), and Epson calls theirs quick-dry too.

What about those double-sided matte papers? I assume they are uncoated, and won't work.

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 26, 2013 22:38 |  #2

I doubt that there are a whole lot of folks here who use that sealant, all there may be a few. Of those who have, they may have input/knowledge about some papers/types...but I think you'd get better mileage, maybe the Krylon outfit has an online "presence"? Maybe a forum or online Help?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 27, 2013 03:59 |  #3

I don't know about Krylon Preserve It, but for paper media, artists usually use a spray-on fixative, like this: http://www.pearlpaint.​com …xative_981200_9​80201.html (external link)

It should work for a wide variety of paper types.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,189 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 27, 2013 08:53 as a reply to  @ Kolor-Pikker's post |  #4

Among all the paper companies I've ever dealt with (paper to rag), the Premier photo spray products seem to be the most consistently recommended.

Website (external link) |

lar55
THREAD ­ STARTER
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 27, 2013 13:44 |  #5

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #15656902 (external link)
I don't know about Krylon Preserve It, but for paper media, artists usually use a spray-on fixative, like this: http://www.pearlpaint.​com …xative_981200_9​80201.html (external link)

It should work for a wide variety of paper types.

Sorry, for the confusion. This is a spray-on product: "Krylon Preserve It!, Digital Photo & Paper Protectant." It claims to be moisture-resistant, provide UV protection, and "acid-free/archival safe." I saw it in a crafts store and bought it to try. (I'm not sure you can mail-order this stuff : B&H, for one, will not ship it.)

There are other threads here that name it, so I know others have used it.

It seems to work well, but it really smells bad. In addition to letting the print dry for a week before spraying, I think you need to let it dry a few days (outdoors, if possible) after spraying to get rid of the smell. Spray it outdoors too, if possible.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 27, 2013 14:10 |  #6

http://www.breathingco​lor.com/action/bc_shop​/160/ (external link)

Gear List

carshop
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 01, 2013 00:47 |  #7

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=AsSweQ8cbYA (external link)

ShawnSmugmug (external link)/Flickr (external link)/LikeMyFacebook (external link)
Canon 7D Gripped|Canon 20D
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS|Canon 24-105|Canon 18-135
Canon 580 EX II|Sigma 18-50 2.8
Canon 55-250|Sigma 17-35 2.8| 2 Pocket Wizard II

lar55
THREAD ­ STARTER
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 19, 2013 17:42 |  #8

To update my own post: Krylon Preserve It "Digital Photo & Paper Protectant" spray coating, Matte finish, does not work with Epson Premium Photo Paper (Glossy). It ruins the print. I was hoping the Epson Premium paper would work, but it does not.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 19, 2013 21:10 |  #9

lar55 wrote in post #16464772 (external link)
To update my own post: Krylon Preserve It "Digital Photo & Paper Protectant" spray coating, Matte finish, does not work with Epson Premium Photo Paper (Glossy). It ruins the print. I was hoping the Epson Premium paper would work, but it does not.

Good info, was it that it "wrecked" the glossy of the Epson paper?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

bespoke
710 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 19, 2013 21:26 |  #10

just curious what you're trying to achieve by spraying a print. do you want to put it outside? give a print more gloss?

i use breathing color timeless satin as well. good for stretched canvases and the odd matte print on foamcore (must apply to print before attaching to foamboard)

Toronto Fashion Photographer (external link)
5D3 & 5D2s | 24 TS-E II, 24-70 II, 85L II, 100L, 70-200L II, 35 & 85 Zeiss ZE, Samyang 14, Sigma 50
Hasselblads + Leaf Aptus MFDB, Fuji X100, Epson 3880/9890

lar55
THREAD ­ STARTER
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 20, 2013 19:45 |  #11

tonylong wrote in post #16465297 (external link)
Good info, was it that it "wrecked" the glossy of the Epson paper?

Hard to describe, but it isn't subtle at all. It's like the spray dissolved the ink, mostly in bands across in the direction I sprayed. I got the same effect on HP Advanced photo paper which was the first thing I tried. The HP Premium Plus works well, and that's what I'm using, but I like the colors on the Epson paper better. All these papers are glossy finish - for some reason Epson and HP don't make semi-gloss photo paper in 5x7 size. The Epson Premium is supposed to be a resin-coated paper like the HP Premium Plus, unlike the HP Advanced, so I thought it would be OK, but it is not.

bespoke wrote in post #16465317 (external link)
just curious what you're trying to achieve by spraying a print. do you want to put it outside? give a print more gloss?

i use breathing color timeless satin as well. good for stretched canvases and the odd matte print on foamcore (must apply to print before attaching to foamboard)

It is for an informal photo display inside an office. The goal is low cost! The prints are 5x7, spray mounted on foam core, then coated with protective spray. I use double-sided "poster tape" to stick them right on the wall - I tested this and they hold well but can be removed without damaging the walls (or the pictures).

The Krylon spray leaves a matte finish, which helps a lot with glare from overhead fluorescent lights. It is also supposed to protect against UV rays, moisture, and people touching them ("oh look!").

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,515 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 20, 2013 19:57 |  #12

I believe that if you're interested in trying different papers for something, most paper companies will be willing to send you a sample packet containing a number of samples for different papers. Go to the website for the papers you're interested in and contact them with a sample request. Worst that can happen is they say 'No'. Then test your spray(s) out on the sample papers instead of having to purchase things that may/may not work for you.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

lar55
THREAD ­ STARTER
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 20, 2013 20:52 |  #13

Thanks, yes, but so far I've been using what I have, no waste. The HP Premium Plus was left over from when I had an HP Photosmart printer - I wasn't planning to use it with the Epson printer but I'm glad I kept it. The Epson Premium paper - I use that for other things, including framing, and in different sizes. I do want to try Epson Ultra Premium, though, as it is thicker and heavier than their Premium and might work with the Preserve-It spray. Maybe when I run out of the HP paper.

sponsored links

3,048 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to tell what paper is safe with Krylon coat spray
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.