Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 11:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking to get a flash - Yongnuo 568 - should i get TTL triggers too?

jrm27
794 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 20, 2013 11:13 |  #1

hello all,

I am looking to get a flash setup so I can learn how to use it correctly. I've pretty much always shot with available light, but would like to learn a new skillset.

I know some folks with the Yongnuo 568 and they say it is a great flash. Awesome, that's within my price rangem so I'm thinking of picking one up. My question is about the TTL trigger. Is that basically used for off camera flash work? Can someone help me understand what I would gain with a TTL trigger? Thanks!

-jon

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jrmelot/ (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 20, 2013 11:25 |  #2

To make a 2-dimensional image look real, objects in said image should be lit on a gradient. One side will be dark and then progressively brighter. This gives you the illusion of depth. To achieve this, your light source should come from the side and/or above. Frontal light, while brightening the subject, makes the lighting pattern flat so you don't get that depth. A radio trigger will let you move the flash so you can light your subject from any direction and achieve 'directional' lighting. You can also buy a cheap ETTL cord. Flash Zebra has some good ones.

LostArk
417 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 20, 2013 11:31 |  #3

TTL triggers allow the flash to calculate exposure for you. It's basically like full auto mode for your flash. It also enables use of HSS (high speed sync). Some TTL triggers allow remote power adjustment of the flash, which is the most important feature. Having to adjust power manually (e.g. by physically touching the flash unit) is obsolete. You definitely want the TTL triggers for remote power adjustment. Use them in manual mode though whenever possible. TTL mode teaches you as much about lighting as using your camera in full auto teaches you about exposure.

www.unknoahble.com (external link)

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 20, 2013 19:48 |  #4

LostArk wrote in post #16466686 (external link)
TTL triggers allow the flash to calculate exposure for you. It's basically like full auto mode for your flash. It also enables use of HSS (high speed sync). Some TTL triggers allow remote power adjustment of the flash, which is the most important feature. Having to adjust power manually (e.g. by physically touching the flash unit) is obsolete. You definitely want the TTL triggers for remote power adjustment. Use them in manual mode though whenever possible. TTL mode teaches you as much about lighting as using your camera in full auto teaches you about exposure.

I agree. I learned the hard way that while I like ettl, it gave me sporadic coverage. Nothing was consistent, manual is consistent.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 20, 2013 20:50 |  #5

Simply put, if you get a yn568 then pick up a set of yn622c's as well.

Just because they are ETTL trigger does not mean that's what you have to use them for. I mostly used mine in manual.

So why ETTL trigger then?

The fact that I can change all the flash setting from my camera instead of having to go to the flash to do so make it so worth it alone (espically when the flashes are inside an Apollo softbox!). But wait, there's more :). ETTL trigger also give you the option for HSS and second curtain sync.

For flash, ETTL and manual both have their place and both are very useful. Learn how to use, and when to use, both ETTL and manual. Doesn't matter which order you learn them (or even if you start to learn both at the same time) just make sure that you do learn both.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

915 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking to get a flash - Yongnuo 568 - should i get TTL triggers too?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.