Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 20 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 09:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you post process sports shots

01Ryan10
Goldmember
1,076 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 20, 2013 09:51 |  #1

Not talking Professional sports. I'm referring to kids and high school sports. Do you worry about PP? I guess I can see adjusting the exposure on some, but how far do you go?

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

sponsored links
PhotoGeek
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 20, 2013 10:01 |  #2

I shoot everything in RAW and process through LightRoom. I set up presets for the specific venues and either daylight or night lighting, and then have the preset applied during import. I then crop, make minor tweaks, straighten, and export as jpeg. The preset will have any number of adjustments depending on the venue.

I'm not doing huge volumes though, maybe two or three games a week depending on the sport and season.

1DX, 1DIII, lenses, flashes, wires and stuff
http://jimlanterphotog​raphy.com (external link)

J_O_S_H_U_A
265 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 20, 2013 11:36 |  #3

I freelance for some sports companies and they always do (some) post processing. Now keep in mind, it is typically just a slight exposure edjust or maybe some cropping. It doesnt get much more complicated then that unless there is a particularly important shot.

www.instagram.com/_j_o​_s_h_u_a_ (external link) www.atomiccanary.com (external link) http://joshuaorozco.co​m (external link)

Craign
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 20, 2013 20:27 |  #4

Another person that shoots in RAW, process in Lightroom and use presets I have setup for specific venues. I can't imagine doing it any other way, at least not now. Shooting in RAW allows me to easily correct white balance and use ISO 6400 at our poorly lighted venues (high school and elementary school gyms plus ballparks in the summer.)

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 20, 2013 21:52 |  #5

Also shoot RAW and process Lightroom. I like to shoot close and crop closer.

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 21, 2013 11:19 as a reply to  @ lauderdalems's post |  #6

Yes.

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 21, 2013 12:18 |  #7

If you're shooting volume for 'on spec', then I would say no, don't do much. If you're working on your portfolio or shooting for a paper, then sure, why not. I also use LR and once you get the hang of it, cropping and adjustments are a snap.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 21, 2013 17:28 |  #8

Any shot that gets sent to someone or published on the internet via agency or on my website gets processed. Period. I don't want to have unprocessed photos where the public can see it.

You only want your BEST images out in the public.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

RangeMan
30 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 21, 2013 17:46 |  #9

Same here - I shoot figure skating, synchro and hockey in the winter and use LR/PSE. Exposure, crop and sharpen, then out they go to Smugmug.

Gear: 5D MkIII, 7D, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4,
Sigma 120-300 f2.8 IS Sports

MNMathieu
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 21, 2013 18:47 as a reply to  @ RangeMan's post |  #10

Yes. I use LR to crop, do lens correction, set WB, and adjust exposure.

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 22, 2013 07:57 |  #11

xchangx wrote in post #16470329 (external link)
Any shot that gets sent to someone or published on the internet via agency or on my website gets processed. Period. I don't want to have unprocessed photos where the public can see it.

You only want your BEST images out in the public.

+1.
Pretty well every shot needs a crop, a check on level, some minor exposure adjustment, a sharpen. Set your camera up properly and then you have minimum work.

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

aliengin
Goldmember
1,158 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 22, 2013 08:15 |  #12

01Ryan10 wrote in post #16466414 (external link)
Not talking Professional sports. I'm referring to kids and high school sports. Do you worry about PP? I guess I can see adjusting the exposure on some, but how far do you go?

I guess this will answer ---> www.alienginphotograph​y.com (external link)

But again it all depends on how and where the images are going to be used.

Ali Engin Photography (external link)

PhotoGeek
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 22, 2013 08:58 |  #13

By the way, I do some extra pp on certain types of images. For example, things like this have been very popular among our players and fans:

IMAGE: http://www.jimlanter.us/Other-3/Legacy-vs-Waxahachie-1011/i-fRWMss8/0/XL/Legacy%20v%20Waxahachie-4656-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.jimlanter.us/Other-3/Legacy-vs-Lancaster-9-26-13/i-WSz758r/1/XL/Legacy%20v%20Lancaster%20-0485-XL.jpg

Nothing real difficult - just playing with LR sliders, but they like the grunginess or edginess of the look.

1DX, 1DIII, lenses, flashes, wires and stuff
http://jimlanterphotog​raphy.com (external link)

Yellowbond
253 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 08, 2013 03:29 |  #14

My approach is similar to others, RAW into Lightroom for cropping, sharpening, straightening, along with a couple of presets all set to go for particular indoor venues or styles I'm looking for.

7d2 & 5d3 with Sigma 20mm A, 35mm f1.4 (A), 50mm A, Canon 135 mm f2L, 70-200 f2.8L, 100-400 mk2 and 600ex.
www.atphoto.co

sponsored links

2,658 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you post process sports shots
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.