Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 17 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 17:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I am a newbie and just got my first DSLR!

Chris_lam
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 17, 2013 17:20 |  #1

Hi all,

I recently purchased a brand new CANON 60D EOS for a great price! It's the first DSLR I've ever
bought and I have several projects lined up for this bad boy once I get my hands on it later today! :)

I have a few questions and would love some assistance:

How best to protect the camera during the extreme winter between 0 to -35 degrees. I currently live in
Finland you see, the winters are very harsh and sunlight is almost non-existent here.

I've tried to look around for guides for which type of bag is best, but I still feel like I don't know enough.

All I know is that you need an extra battery or two when going out. I have two batteries.

A ziploc or airtight bag so that the camera can warm up by itself inside a building to prevent
condensation and fog clouding the lenses and other sensitive components. I am going to buy.

Never to breath on or near lenses or wave them near any kind of smoke/steam or vapour.

I have a question however. What about a camera bag with heat packs or heat packs right next to the
batteries. You would take the batteries out when you are finished and only put them back in the camera
once you are taking photos. I saw that a cold camera is good, but a cold battery is bad because it shortens
their life span by like 90%. I've experienced that too with my friend's powershot.

A requirement that I am looking for is not too big, because I will most likely carry around a rucksack filled
with stuff as well. Unless you know of a good bag that can carry a camera, an 18-55mm lens, a 75-300mm
lens, a 15 inch laptop, charger, a small book and a medium sized lunch box all in one! Safely and securely.

But I would appreciate it if you could point me to some bags that can carry a camera with one lens
and bags that can carry two lenses.

Thanks for reading! :)

sponsored links
ntotrr
73 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 17, 2013 19:58 |  #2

Perhaps this Kata bag will work for you:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …92805&Q=&is=REG​&A=details (external link)

S_Egbert
224 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 17, 2013 21:02 as a reply to  @ ntotrr's post |  #3

For keeping your batteries warm and ready, the easiest way is to keep then in a pocket close to your body. A pants pocket, inside vest or coat pocket, anywhere that they can draw warmth from your body. When a battery in the camera gets too cold to function, trade it with a warm one. Soon, the cold battery will warm up and can be used for a while longer.

Steve

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,118 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 17, 2013 21:58 |  #4

Camera in a ziploc or airtight bag to prevent condensation? If anything I think that will cause condensation. You would need the gear yo be able to breathe...not suffocated.

I would never put heat near a battery. They can explode.

I'm sure in the cold, the camera will work fine. There are photographers who take their gear to the artic and have no problems.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

Chris_lam
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 18, 2013 17:47 as a reply to  @ ntotrr's post |  #5

Ow my. I think I just fell in love with that bag for it's capabilities! But the cost is a downer... Do you have any additional alternatives. And bags for just carrying a camera?

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 18, 2013 18:41 as a reply to  @ Chris_lam's post |  #6

Not a big fan of Kata-too pricey and too stiff. And ugly, imo. How 'bout a Domke or a LowePro or perhaps a Crumpler? They have a wide variety to select from.

As I understand it, you can wrap the camera before you take it indoors and the condensation will collect on the bag. Then, when the interior and the exterior of the bag are roughly equal (5 minutes or so) just remove the bag. I know here in South Texas, I wrap my camera before I take it out of the a/c car into the Texas heat. Otherwise, the lens fogs up something awful.

Congrats on your new camera-Canons are really, really fun! Post pics, please.

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 18, 2013 18:58 |  #7

Welcome. Limitless information here!

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

Chris_lam
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 18, 2013 19:31 as a reply to  @ Rainyday's post |  #8

I don't think it's that bad looking. The times I will be using it is for travelling and going between university and home. It's not going to get noticed too much and it doesn't exactly stand out, at least in the pictures.

I've also done my research and I found that amazon were selling it for £50.(50% off it's normal price) And I am only paying £7 to have it shipped across Europe! All the other bags that meet my demands cost another £30 at the very least! And the looks are that much different. I've thought about buying a camera bag and a rucksack. But rucksacks aren't good for laptops and I could still have to buy something extra to cushion the 2nd lens.

My bag should arrive within the next 4 - 9 days. Hopefully, if they don't use DHL, because they just spent 4 weeks fiddling with my camera in warehouse before moving it and giving it to me. Huge hassle it was.

HuskyKMA
"Now what?"
1,749 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 21, 2013 00:45 |  #9

1KIND wrote in post #16459664 (external link)
Camera in a ziploc or airtight bag to prevent condensation? If anything I think that will cause condensation. You would need the gear yo be able to breathe...not suffocated.

I would never put heat near a battery. They can explode.

I'm sure in the cold, the camera will work fine. There are photographers who take their gear to the artic and have no problems.

The bag is for when you come back into a warm, 70°F building after being out in cold weather. Condensation will form on the camera and lenses. Same principal as why your glass of ice water forms condensation on it. The bag allows the surface of the camera to warm up slowly and prevent condensation from forming.

Canon 40D w/ BG-E2N Grip| 400mm f/5.6L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Gitzo GT3541LS w/ RRS BH-55

HuskyKMA
"Now what?"
1,749 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 21, 2013 00:55 |  #10

Keep your batteries in your coat or pants pocket to keep them warm. Don't use heat packs or anything like that to keep them warm, it's not needed and you don't really want batteries to be hot.

You might check out sling packs. They can hold your laptop and usually have room for other non-camera related items.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …304+4122974927+​4122974928 (external link)

The one I'm thinking about getting for myself is the Tamrac Evolution 9. There are smaller sizes of it as well available.

Canon 40D w/ BG-E2N Grip| 400mm f/5.6L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Gitzo GT3541LS w/ RRS BH-55

Chris_lam
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 21, 2013 06:00 as a reply to  @ HuskyKMA's post |  #11

I have a 15.7 inch top of the line laptop and most of the bags don't seem to fit it. The Tamrac Evolution 9 looks really nice! But it costs 3x as much as the one I am currently getting and it stands out too much with all those metal zippers everywhere.

P.S It's so damn cold here, that if you stay out longer than 40 minutes, your nostrils start to freeze. XD

I hope to upload some pictures soon! :)

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 21, 2013 14:44 |  #12

I agree with the others to keep the spare battery in a pocket on the inside of your clothes, close to your body. Heat is the bane of batteries. Excess heat is what causes them to have a shorter life expectancy. (Beware of rapid chargers that cause your batteries to become warm/hot).

If all you are carrying around is a camera + lens attached and one additional lens, you might be fine with just using a normal bag/backpack and sticking a padded insert into it. That is what I did for a long time. Then you still have room for your laptop, accessories, and whatever else you would normally want to put in the bag/backpack. And since you can use any bag/backpack, it doesn't scream "I am holding a camera in here."

I used this: http://clikelite.com …cessories/camer​a-capsule/ (external link)

But, you can find tons of different sized ones at different prices by different brands. Just find one that fits your needs.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,261 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 21, 2013 20:05 |  #13

Keep your batteries in your coat or pants pocket to keep them warm.

Coat maybe, pants pocket with some reservations. If something like car keys short scross the battery terminals you can generate some tremendous heat. So use care just where you put them.

sponsored links

2,006 views & 0 likes for this thread
I am a newbie and just got my first DSLR!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.