Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 Sep 2013 (Thursday) 20:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with Lee Big Stopper...

timberlandlh
THREAD ­ STARTER
450 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 16, 2013 19:21 |  #31

Thank You Alex.... I *thought* I had it right by centering. Then again, usually by "thinking" I tend to over engineer it. I shot a few captures of the kitchen sink with water over a plate....not nearly as dramatic as hiking back 2 miles to a waterfall and setting up my gear...but hey!...it worked, lol.

Sometime next week I'll post a few from our cabin in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park :)

Canon S100 and Canon 7D, Canon 28-300L 3.5/5.6 IS, Canon 70-200L 2.8 non IS, Canon 10-22 I'll give it a lil "l", Canon 50 1.8, LEE 10X Filter, Benro Travel Angel A-169....REI back pack, hiking boots and a photogenic black labrador

sponsored links
lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 16, 2013 21:13 |  #32

No worries. Enjoy. We just returned from our cabin in Western NC near the TN border. We have a place off the Blue Ridge Parkway in West Jefferson, NC, near Boone. I hope the weather is better for you than it was for us. It rained and was miserable all week. The government shutdown didn't help as all the parks along the Blue Ridge Parkway were closed. The park rangers were still stopping anyone going above the speed limit of 45mph along the Parkway though.

I hope the parks re-open by then - it looks like they may. Ya'll have fun, now.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

timberlandlh
THREAD ­ STARTER
450 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 17, 2013 09:13 |  #33

lehmanncpa wrote in post #16376914 (external link)
......The park rangers were still stopping anyone going above the speed limit of 45mph along the Parkway though....

As I say, they have become an Income Generating Unit vs a Protect and Serve Unit...sad.

On a plus....the Park is now open and our weather is supposed to be dry next week. Fall color reports I've seen from my east TN friends on FB are near perfect.... We will have to meet up sometime down that way. We're usually down every 6 weeks or so, for long weekends.

Canon S100 and Canon 7D, Canon 28-300L 3.5/5.6 IS, Canon 70-200L 2.8 non IS, Canon 10-22 I'll give it a lil "l", Canon 50 1.8, LEE 10X Filter, Benro Travel Angel A-169....REI back pack, hiking boots and a photogenic black labrador

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,246 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 25, 2013 04:13 |  #34

Yuk!! No need for all that maths!!! :lol:

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 21, 2013 01:32 |  #35

Guys; there's a cheat sheet on Singh Ray's website for both 10 and 15 stop filters. I saw this on another post about the new 15 stop Singh Ray filter:
http://www.singh-ray.com/mor-slo15.html (external link)

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

parfilator
109 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 21, 2013 10:47 as a reply to  @ Tdragone's post |  #36

Instead of all the math, I've found with my 10 stop Hitek that for a sunny day at iso 100 and f16, an exposure of 60 - 90 seconds produces a reasonable image. I then just adjust my exposure time from that first image longer or shorter after reviewing the first shot. Very easy and no math pain!

Good tips on the view finder cover. I was getting some weird exposure leakage now and then and was thnking it was the seal between the filter and the holder but maybe it is the fact I wasn't using a cover during exposure?

Canon 5D II|EOS M w/22mm f2.0| 50mm f1.4 |17-40mm f4 L| 70-200 mm f4 L| 100 mm f2.8L Macro | 24-70 mm f2.8LII |Yongnuo YN568EX|YN622c|Flickr (external link)

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 21, 2013 11:00 |  #37

parfilator wrote in post #16469370 (external link)
Instead of all the math, I've found with my 10 stop Hitek that for a sunny day at iso 100 and f16, an exposure of 60 - 90 seconds produces a reasonable image. I then just adjust my exposure time from that first image longer or shorter after reviewing the first shot. Very easy and no math pain!

That seems like too long an exposure time to me, but I'll give it a go. Sunny 16 rule is ISO 100 at f/16, you should get a shutter speed of 1/100. Therefore, decreasing the shutter speed by 10 stops would give you a shutter speed of about 10 seconds. It seems to me that 60-90 seconds would overexpose your image by at least 2 or 3 full stops. Are you using a CPL together with your ND filter?

Alex
Gear List
Feedback

parfilator
109 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 21, 2013 11:14 |  #38

lehmanncpa wrote in post #16469396 (external link)
That seems like too long an exposure time to me, but I'll give it a go. Sunny 16 rule is ISO 100 at f/16, you should get a shutter speed of 1/100. Therefore, decreasing the shutter speed by 10 stops would give you a shutter speed of about 10 seconds. It seems to me that 60-90 seconds would overexpose your image by at least 2 or 3 full stops. Are you using a CPL together with your ND filter?

I'll say that's rough depending on the scene shaded/filtered light but my point is that you can take a guess and then adjust. You will probably find that after you do all the math you will still have to modify your exposure.

Canon 5D II|EOS M w/22mm f2.0| 50mm f1.4 |17-40mm f4 L| 70-200 mm f4 L| 100 mm f2.8L Macro | 24-70 mm f2.8LII |Yongnuo YN568EX|YN622c|Flickr (external link)

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 21, 2013 11:18 |  #39

parfilator wrote in post #16469435 (external link)
...but my point is that you can take a guess and then adjust. You will probably find that after you do all the math you will still have to modify your exposure.

I'll agree with that. I typically bracket my long exposures by at least 1 stop as a matter of habit. The problem with long exposures is that 1-stop can sometimes mean an additional two or three minutes of just sitting and waiting there. :D

Alex
Gear List
Feedback

sponsored links

6,734 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with Lee Big Stopper...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.