Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 19 Nov 2013 (Tuesday) 16:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"Thanks" button? POTNer of the year award?

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 19, 2013 16:11 |  #1

There are a number of members here who routinely must take a lot of time and put in a lot of effort to provide comprehensive answers to posts seeking advice, yet there doesn't seem to be any mechanism for publicly acknowledging this other than an "atta boy" follow up post each time, or a PM.

Is there a possibility of adding a "reputation", or "thanks" parameter on a per user basis to recognize these peoples' efforts?

Should we have a POTNer of the year award, with nominations and voting, with the awardees having this acknowledged in the user info block of their posts?

Other ideas?

sponsored links
facedodge
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 19, 2013 16:15 |  #2

I like it. When I browse other sites that use a like, favorite, or thumb up button, I find it useful. I like to scroll down to the high rated comments for articles or threads that I'm only somewhat interested in.

Also, sometimes you ask a question and get a handful or responses. Often, someone will give a perfect answer that has to compete with the other less perfect answers. People reading can quickly thumb it up so the OP knows which one is the right one.

Gear List | Feedback | facebook (external link) | [URL="http://www.flick​r.com/photos/wmcy2/"]flickr (external link)

HuskyKMA
"Now what?"
1,749 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 21, 2013 03:22 |  #3

Pekka said the new site software will have a "like" feature for posts, but no features for distinguishing users based on how many "likes" they have received.

Pekka wrote in post #16063986 (external link)
A logged member may now like a post. Likes are presented in subtle way, and there is no categorization of members by like count. I feel that a like feature is important to let members know other members' "finds" of good posts, nothing else. That is why you can quickly peek what member x has recently liked in his/her member page or in thread view by clicking [MORE/REPORT/SHARE] and then choosing "LIKES".

Canon 40D w/ BG-E2N Grip| 400mm f/5.6L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Gitzo GT3541LS w/ RRS BH-55

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,780 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Nov 21, 2013 13:25 |  #4

HuskyKMA wrote in post #16468658 (external link)
Pekka said the new site software will have a "like" feature for posts, but no features for distinguishing users based on how many "likes" they have received.

I'm also planning many features for later, and "helpful post" or similar has been on that to do list, too. :)

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

xarqi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 21, 2013 13:25 |  #5

@HuskyKMA: OK, thanks - so that leaves the POTNer of the year approach maybe.

xarqi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 21, 2013 13:27 |  #6

Pekka wrote in post #16469731 (external link)
I'm also planning many features for later, and "helpful post" or similar has been on that to do list, too. :)

"Helpful poster" too maybe? There are some real heroes out there who deserve recognition I think.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,389 posts
Gallery: 318 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 21, 2013 13:35 |  #7

I like the idea of acknowledging the great helpers on POTN, but I don't like the idea of turning it into a competition.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

xarqi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 21, 2013 13:40 |  #8

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #16469765 (external link)
I like the idea of acknowledging the great helpers on POTN, but I don't like the idea of turning it into a competition.

Fair point, human nature being what it is.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 21, 2013 13:44 |  #9

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #16469765 (external link)

What? Wouldn't it be great with competitions: Free POTN camera strap to the first user to collect 100 cookie points the comming month?

What worth is there to something that can't be measured? :lol:

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,389 posts
Gallery: 318 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 21, 2013 14:02 |  #10

pwm2 wrote in post #16469792 (external link)
What? Wouldn't it be great with competitions: Free POTN camera strap to the first user to collect 100 cookie points the comming month?

What worth is there to something that can't be measured? :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,780 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Nov 21, 2013 14:44 |  #11

xarqi wrote in post #16469741 (external link)
"Helpful poster" too maybe? There are some real heroes out there who deserve recognition I think.

Hardly needed as a separate button as I consulted Sherlock Holmes and he pointed out to me that you can deduct most helpful posters from number of helpful post votes per each member :)

Overread
Goldmember
2,197 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 21, 2013 14:46 |  #12

I hate like buttons on forums - mostly because unless its a very small scale forum they end up becoming a point of drama. People get annoyed that those who are not as good/skilled/knowledga​ble as others (or themselves) are getting lots of likes and you can end up splitting the community up into factions.

Dislike buttons are even worse and invite the chance of fights breaking out - esp on a very like site like POTN you'd easily see a group of friends battling another group liking and disliking certain people

Childish but the net sometimes brings that out in people

Interestingly on another site there was a "thanks" button added and it worked well; people thanked for helpful posts and in general it went smooth. Then it changed to a like button and the shift changed from thanking to generally liking and sparked an increase in jabs/comical attempts and snarky comments.

I'd say go for a thanks button, the concept behind it generally works well and it can be a good way to reward those who do put in time helping. Don't put a like button and for your own sanity never consider a dislike*

*only forum I know that has like and dislike is basically around 14 active members at any one time so its treated very light hearted and mostly ignored (heck some ask for only dislikes because they want the red bar under their name not the green one).

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,780 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Nov 21, 2013 14:54 |  #13

There is really no difference in mechanics and intent of function if button is called "Like", "Thanks", "Respect", "Kudos", "I second that", or "Helpful Post". It's all the same, really. AMASS calls it "Like" now, it can be changed to anything in a second. Like is currently the de facto name for such a feature, though.

Hot ­ Bob
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 21, 2013 15:23 |  #14

Pekka wrote in post #16469952 (external link)
There is really no difference in mechanics and intent of function if button is called "Like", "Thanks", "Respect", "Kudos", "I second that", or "Helpful Post". It's all the same, really. AMASS calls it "Like" now, it can be changed to anything in a second. Like is currently the de facto name for such a feature, though.

There may be no difference in the mechanics/coding of the button but, the actual name can make a big difference. If such a feature were to be added, I think some very careful thought needs to go into the intent and word/phrase selection. This website draws a lot of people looking for validation. A seemingly small point like this could very well cause major issues.

Bob

Image of the Horse (external link)

Gear List

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,780 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Nov 21, 2013 15:30 |  #15

Hot Bob wrote in post #16470019 (external link)
There may be no difference in the mechanics/coding of the button but, the actual name can make a big difference. If such a feature were to be added, I think some very careful thought needs to go into the intent and word/phrase selection. This website draws a lot of people looking for validation. A seemingly small point like this could very well cause major issues.

Bob

Well, in AMASS the likes are presented in quite a low-key manner, and beta testers seem to like them :)

sponsored links

3,786 views & 0 likes for this thread
"Thanks" button? POTNer of the year award?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.