Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Jun 2013 (Monday) 08:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

i need a good proofing solution

Rden
26 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 19, 2013 13:04 |  #16

i am REALLY enjoying shootproof.com as well.

sponsored links
tinrooster
90 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 19, 2013 23:20 |  #17

A fairly in-depth interview with Colin Breece from Shootproof (external link). Interesting that he's not a photog, but just saw the need.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=NBQYDLVCYO0 (external link)

If anyone wants to try it out, be sure to use a referral, since it's an easy way to bump up the free studio level up to 150 pictures. No code, just put in the name of an existing customer. You're welcome to use me if you want ;)

tibfibphoto.com (external link) sf bay area

rgs
Goldmember
2,392 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 20, 2013 19:41 |  #18

tinrooster wrote in post #16465574 (external link)
A fairly in-depth interview with Colin Breece from Shootproof (external link). Interesting that he's not a photog, but just saw the need.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=NBQYDLVCYO0 (external link)

If anyone wants to try it out, be sure to use a referral, since it's an easy way to bump up the free studio level up to 150 pictures. No code, just put in the name of an existing customer. You're welcome to use me if you want ;)

HEY! I'm the one who brought ShootProof up first! :lol: Just kidding. Mine's already paid anyway.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

Aki78
963 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 21, 2013 06:34 |  #19

rgs wrote in post #16467859 (external link)
HEY! I'm the one who brought ShootProof up first! :lol: Just kidding. Mine's already paid anyway.

rgs, who do you use for prints? I signed with ProDPI comparing all the reviews out there but never used a real print shop so just curious.

rgs
Goldmember
2,392 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 21, 2013 08:50 |  #20

With ShootProof automatic fulfill orders it's ProDPI. I like their work very much and they are close. I'm in OKC and they're in Denver. I've tried Bay Photo and WHCC and have occasionally ordered from Black River.

When I order prints directly without going through ShootProof, it usually Miller's. I've used them for years and am very comfortable with them. They have recently switched to FUJI paper and that has improved the look of their prints. In general I consider ProDPI and Miller's to be a cut above the others.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 21, 2013 08:58 |  #21

Just want to say, I haven't used Shootproof (though I probably will soon), but I love ProDPI.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

Aki78
963 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 21, 2013 12:48 |  #22

rgs wrote in post #16469082 (external link)
With ShootProof automatic fulfill orders it's ProDPI. I like their work very much and they are close. I'm in OKC and they're in Denver. I've tried Bay Photo and WHCC and have occasionally ordered from Black River.

When I order prints directly without going through ShootProof, it usually Miller's. I've used them for years and am very comfortable with them. They have recently switched to FUJI paper and that has improved the look of their prints. In general I consider ProDPI and Miller's to be a cut above the others.

Awesome, thank you for the info :)

MattPharmD wrote in post #16469111 (external link)
Just want to say, I haven't used Shootproof (though I probably will soon), but I love ProDPI.

The setup was a breeze; I'm on a slow crappy 3G connection right now but ShootProof's site doesn't seem to lag a bit. Once I have clients regularly purchase prints or at least plan to then I'll upgrade the plan from free for sure.

And getting my site to point to their domain to make it look like the proofing domain is done within mine wasn't too hard either. It looks more professional that way.

tinrooster
90 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 25, 2013 22:58 |  #23

Shootproof's Colin Breece

A week or so ago, when I was setting up my Shootproof account, I sent a quick question off by email at 4am Sunday morning, and a couple of hours later had a response sitting in my inbox, answering all my questions. Cool, I thought, they work on Sundays. Well, this morning I sent a email detailing some concerns regarding digital delivery formats, and some thoughts about UI in the admin panels; a few minutes later I got a call from Colin Breece, directly, to talk about my concerns.

Colin was gracious, helpful, and open to suggestions and feedback; taking the time to go through various ways to address my options & account configuration - and followed up with an email shortly afterwards, detailing some additional resources.

I think he's put together a great, unique platform for proofing needs, and is very invested in making sure it succeeds. He gets a solid :thumbup in my book.

Aki78 wrote in post #16469650 (external link)
The setup was a breeze; I'm on a slow crappy 3G connection right now but ShootProof's site doesn't seem to lag a bit. Once I have clients regularly purchase prints or at least plan to then I'll upgrade the plan from free for sure.

It's worth pointing out again, that Shootproof allows plan upgrades and downgrades on the fly, with the only change in the tiers being the amount of photos unloaded at the time of the change. Downgrades to a lower tier, or free, simply require that you remove excess images and any remaining billing balance is credited to the account. Using Lightroom Publish integration, moving image galleries on, or off the site is quite straightforward. Currently I have ~1800 photos uploaded, in two months, I'll probably have ~150, and take it back to the free tier for a bit. You still retain all the set up (pricesheets, lab setup, and so forth) since the only variable that changes is the quantity of images allowed at any one time.

Aki78 wrote in post #16469650 (external link)
And getting my site to point to their domain to make it look like the proofing domain is done within mine wasn't too hard either. It looks more professional that way.

Setting up the DNS is pretty simple, and absolutely worth it. I've used Zoneedit for the past ~10 yrs to handle my DNS, and they've been great for a free DNS management for the three or four domains I've kept around.

tibfibphoto.com (external link) sf bay area

bayvillian516
142 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 28, 2013 09:45 |  #24

I use smugmug right now and am fairly happy with it, for those of you more familiar with it, is there a way my clients can check off the photos they want edited rather than asking them to give me the numbers?

Canon 5Dmk2, 5dmk3, 17-40L, 28-75 tamron, 35L, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 f2.8 is ll, 430exll, 600ex, 2x ab800.
Dp2M
Long Island Wedding Photographer (external link)

Randy ­ Digby
237 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 28, 2013 22:11 |  #25

For whatever it's worth, after reading this thread, I set up one of the free accounts at ShootProof this morning (Thanksgiving Day). I was in a hurry so I shot the company an email asking a question and was able to figure it out about five minutes later. I then sent an email to disregard the first email. Well, I just got a human typed, not automated, from their tech support saying they were glad I found the answer and welcomed to their product. Not bad for a holiday response.

Got a camera, some cheap glass, one nice glass, a PC which doubles as my darkroom and a lot to learn - and having fun learning.
Taking a picture is like planting a memory, it grows more beautiful with time.

Kyle ­ Blunt
245 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 29, 2013 05:32 |  #26

I have just started using pixieset.com, its still growing but I moved from ShootProof and don't regret it, yet. Both are amazing IMHO.

EOS 1D Mark IIN | EOS 50D w/BG-E2N | EOS 40D w/BG-E2 | EF 300mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
My Website (external link)Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
2,392 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 29, 2013 20:58 |  #27

Kyle Blunt wrote in post #16487890 (external link)
I have just started using pixieset.com, its still growing but I moved from ShootProof and don't regret it, yet. Both are amazing IMHO.

I took a look at these guys. It's an interesting site. 15% on orders if you sign up for the free service. That's a pretty big bite but then there is no subscription so it might be good, depending on how busy you are. WHCC is the only auto fulfill choice. They are not my first choice for a lab.

Still, this site looks very promising.

Aki78
963 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 29, 2013 21:58 |  #28

Pixieset does look great indeed. Interface looks very professional. I'll probably give SP a try for awhile and see how it goes. No complaints so far.

starlights
661 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 09, 2013 22:13 |  #29

Signed up for the free account at both to test drive, but i think I am leaning towards shootproof.

sponsored links

7,460 views & 0 likes for this thread
i need a good proofing solution
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.