Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Jun 2013 (Thursday) 10:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

580EX and 580EX II wireless flash problem. Help?

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 27, 2013 10:12 |  #1

I was shooting in a corporate office space using a 580EX II as on-camera master with 580EX off-camera as slave. It was working fine for some initial shots. However, for some reason the off-camera speedlight locked up at full power. I could switch between ETTL and M, but was unable to lower the output. Pressing the center dial button did nothing. Tried powering off and on, but there was no change. Had to abandon the particular shot since there was little time and the employees were waiting. Odd thing, 20 minutes later on a different shot it was working fine again.

Wondering if the 580EX is malfunctioning or if there is some trick to getting it back to normal if this happens again. Any suggestions?

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 27, 2013 11:34 |  #2

You do realize that you set the slave flash from the master, normally? Not on the slave itself.

Anders

CAPhotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 28, 2013 12:39 |  #3

apersson850 wrote in post #16069914 (external link)
You do realize that you set the slave flash from the master, normally? Not on the slave itself.

Thanks, but I'm not using groups so this does not apply. There are many situations, architectural interiors for example, where selectively setting output manually is desired.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,115 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 29, 2013 06:27 as a reply to  @ CAPhotog's post |  #4

So you are using individual slave mode, where you set the power on the flash separately, I presume.

But I don't understand why. You can set your master to belong to group A and the slave to group B, then set the flash mode to manual power setting. Now you can set the manual power level for both the master and the slave without running around to the slaves. You can have three groups, so you can set up to three different flashes individually.

Anders

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 29, 2013 12:03 |  #5

apersson850 wrote in post #16075176 (external link)
So you are using individual slave mode, where you set the power on the flash separately, I presume.

But I don't understand why. You can set your master to belong to group A and the slave to group B, then set the flash mode to manual power setting. Now you can set the manual power level for both the master and the slave without running around to the slaves. You can have three groups, so you can set up to three different flashes individually.

Maybe he was using the "On Camera" Master flash in ETTL and wanted Manual flash power for the Slave flash. I do agree with you in that there would be no reason to set a Slave to the "Individual (Rogue)" slave mode in a purely Wireless Manual flash setup until you have used all three Slave groups. But, if you are wanting to mix ETTL and Manual in the Wireless setup then this is one way to go.

Rand

Gear

Tiberius
Goldmember
2,547 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 29, 2013 15:11 |  #6

Check the link in my signature for a full tutorial on using Canon's wireless flash system.

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

CAPhotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 29, 2013 19:12 |  #7

To answer your question, agv8or basically has the situation. I was using the second speedlite as a dumb slave simply to fire a gel at the end of a corridor for mood, not to add light to the subject. It's typically 1/16 or 1/32, no need for variable output since it's all about position. Not that it matters, but there are several situations like this that come to mind. Own a bag of 580EXs now,many PocketWizards and even STE2, but they weren't called for, just a gel on a dumb slave. Still occasionally use old Morris slaves for the same purpose, but dealing with preflash is a pain.

Back to my question… I should have just asked how to reset 580EX output when it locks up. Thought it might be related to order of setting external flash function and turning speedlites on. Haven't been able to reproduce the situation so that might not be it. Chances are I accidentally hit some button screwing something up. For now, I'll just avoid using that particular speedlite as well.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,115 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 01, 2013 03:39 as a reply to  @ CAPhotog's post |  #8

Yes, that's right, it takes 600 EX-RT flashes combined with cameras like the 1DX to be able to control mixed E-TTL II and manual groups from the camera.

Anders

CAPhotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 01, 2013 11:16 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #9

Dude, you took my original question off topic from the start. Why not save bandwidth and use the off position for your fount of knowledge? Then others with direct experience might reply.

glsevans
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 21, 2013 07:21 as a reply to  @ CAPhotog's post |  #10

CAPhotog,

I've also had a 580EX manual slave lock a full power and react as you had described for a short time. In my case I discovered that it was a drop of rain shorting the pins on the speedlite while in the cold shoe.

Although this thread is a little old, I thought I'd report my experience since your original question went unresolved. Something to look for should it happen again.

CAPhotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 21, 2013 11:40 |  #11

Thanks for the input. I was shooting quickly that day, so certainly possible it was a pin issue. I haven't experienced it again, but if so will check the cold shoe and pins first.

sponsored links

1,809 views & 0 likes for this thread
580EX and 580EX II wireless flash problem. Help?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.