Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 05 Nov 2013 (Tuesday) 14:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony a7(R): Best thing that happened to Canon users this year.

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 21, 2013 03:04 |  #151

Ginga wrote in post #16468144 (external link)
German Chip Foto Video Magazin came to the same conclusion as DXO and rated the A7R to have the best picture quality of all full frame cameras. It is therefore their new picture quality reference.

Google translated here: http://translate.googl​e.com …i-DSLM-Test_65234491.html (external link)

No surprise really. :) And it is interesting that they claim the new sensor rivals medium format - Pentax 645D.

Really amazing to think that kind of image quality can be packed into this tiny camera.

sponsored links
Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 21, 2013 05:19 |  #152

David Arbogast wrote in post #16462593 (external link)
AF shooters will need to go with native FE-mount lenses for satisfying shooting experience. You can AF Canon-mount lenses with a Metabones adapter (only lenses made after 2006 will AF though), and that's truly a cool thing, but it's likely to be mostly impractical. So, if you're an AF shooter, you'll need to review the small handful of native lenses available between now and the next two months (35mm/2.8, 55mm 1.8, 24-70mm/4) to discern whether it's a good fit or not.

It's not just a new camera, it's (mostly) a whole new system and it's going to be a while before they flesh out a complete range of native FE-mount AF lenses.

As an ex Sony [A77] shooter. I have been saying since I bought my 7D that Canon really needs to kick it's R&D department up the Ar@e. Canon need a sensor of this ilk.
Just a word of caution though, when I was in the Sony camp; people were always winging about the lack of lenses. Please do not be complacent, the G series [L equivalents] are every bit as good, just not as robust. But the new Canon trend to bring out plastic L lenses e.g the 24-70 L II levels the playing field. Plus the Carl Zeiss offerings are just as good. However Sony were always promising this and that Lenses that just never seemed to materialise, and that was in their traditional A mount.
So I think it will take them forever to beef that range up.
Plus as soon as they put this in a full sized DSLR body the focus will switch back to the A mount.
I do however think it will appeal to those wanting lighter systems , for travel , age related requirements and just convenience.

Can you imagine if Canon brought this out taking EF Lenses. It would become the defacto back up body for every pro and serious amateur. Perfect for wedding photographers as it will no doubt deliver on the video front with constant AF in Video!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

andrikos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 21, 2013 06:16 |  #153

Submariner wrote in post #16468761 (external link)
But the new Canon trend to bring out plastic L lenses e.g the 24-70 L II levels the playing field.

Look up the lensrentals article on the build quality of the 24-70L II versus the brick and thell me which one is "better built".

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,495 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 21, 2013 11:32 |  #154

andrikos wrote in post #16468825 (external link)
Look up the lensrentals article on the build quality of the 24-70L II versus the brick and thell me which one is "better built".

Seriously. The Internet needs to get out if this mentality that plastic = cheap. Modern plastics aren't the garbage from yesteryear, they're extremely robust.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 21, 2013 13:22 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #155

If you read my post correctly I did say:-
"the G series [L equivalents] are every bit as good, just not as robust. But the new Canon trend to bring out plastic L lenses e.g the 24-70 L II levels the playing field. Plus the Carl Zeiss offerings are just as good.#

I hear the arguments about plastic and metal.
And I can take some on board. But it is a personal preference thing and I am not wholly convinced that plastic is as robust as metal.

Why Canon chose metal bodies for the IDX, IDC, 5D3 and not plastic - who knows?
Why does Canon not bring out the new 200-400 all in plastic - who knows
Possibly because the metal version is more ridged, more robust.????
Or maybe just to appease old idiots like me. [highly possible]
Anyway it is irrelevant, as I don't want to change, it's my money and I won't spend a fortune on something, unless the build quality is high, and for me in this case [lenses and camera chassis'] sorry that means metal.

No point in having a debate about it, As its not a rhetorical question, its a statement of what I like, and what I want to own. After all it was the build quality of the 7D and the 70-300L that made me move from Sony's mainly plastic A77 and all plastic 70-300 G lens.

If in the future Canon go all plastic, I will look for a second hand hardly used IDX, and when that wears out if nobody is building solid kit. Then I would just go out and get something cheap like the A7R and a reasonable lens . There is always a 'diamond bargin lens' in the range; like the Canon 50 F1.8 or in Sony terms the 16-50mm. SO I can take OK pictures. In summary I would just give up the holy grail of having the best I can afford. And just get something that does the job and not really be bothered about it.
Hell on the upside, I would cut my photography spend by 75% - and I actually think quite a lot of people would do the same.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 21, 2013 15:09 |  #156

Osiriz wrote in post #16468639 (external link)
No surprise really. :) And it is interesting that they claim the new sensor rivals medium format - Pentax 645D.

Really amazing to think that kind of image quality can be packed into this tiny camera.

Yup.

And besides. When stuffing that much tech into a much smaller package, would usually mean much higher prices. Just look at ultrabooks and especially Sony ultrabooks, which used to be crazy expensive just because of how small and light they are.

$2.200 for the A7R is quite crazy. In a good way! :)

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,169 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 21, 2013 15:19 |  #157

Ginga wrote in post #16469978 (external link)
Yup.

And besides. When stuffing that much tech into a much smaller package, would usually mean much higher prices. Just look at ultrabooks and especially Sony ultrabooks, which used to be crazy expensive just because of how small and light they are.

$2.200 for the A7R is quite crazy. In a good way! :)

Yes! :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 21, 2013 21:50 |  #158

^ Agreed. And I must say that I'm prepared to pay more for a small hi tech camera, than a bigger one with the same tech.

If you put the A7R and 5D3 next to eachother, you'd expect the much bigger and bulkier 5D3 to produce a lot better IQ. But it's the complete opposite! :)

So yeah..

speedync
Goldmember
1,284 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2011

Nov 21, 2013 22:18 |  #159

Osiriz wrote in post #16470875 (external link)
^ Agreed. And I must say that I'm prepared to pay more for a small hi tech camera, than a bigger one with the same tech.

If you put the A7R and 5D3 next to eachother, you'd expect the much bigger and bulkier 5D3 to produce a lot better IQ. But it's the complete opposite! :)

So yeah..

Until something moves :)

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 21, 2013 22:27 |  #160

speedync wrote in post #16470939 (external link)
Until something moves :)

Good thing that I don't work with running models, shaky cityscapes or jumping mountains.

99% of my subjects are static / semi static. FPS and top notch AF means nothing to me. Top notch image quality means everything. :)

speedync
Goldmember
1,284 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 21, 2013 22:46 |  #161

Osiriz wrote in post #16470959 (external link)
Good thing that I don't work with running models, shaky cityscapes or jumping mountains.

99% of my subjects are static / semi static. FPS and top notch AF means nothing to me. Top notch image quality means everything. :)

Perfect camera then. For you :)

downhillnews
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 21, 2013 22:57 |  #162

Osiriz wrote in post #16470959 (external link)
Top notch image quality means everything. :)

http://www.phaseone.co​m …s/IQ2-Specifications.aspx (external link)

Start there I would suggest a good tri-pod and trigger release as well. You can use the A7 as a back up beater camera....

WWW.DOWNHILLNEWS.COM (external link)
WWW.IJWPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
Phase One Certified Digital Tech

speedync
Goldmember
1,284 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 21, 2013 23:10 |  #163

downhillnews wrote in post #16471018 (external link)
http://www.phaseone.co​m …s/IQ2-Specifications.aspx (external link)

Start there I would suggest a good tri-pod and trigger release as well. You can use the A7 as a back up beater camera....

Absolutely. My sister has one of these, with a digital back http://linhof.de/M679e​.html (external link) Can't use Canon lenses though :)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 21, 2013 23:19 |  #164

speedync wrote in post #16471033 (external link)
Absolutely. My sister has one of these, with a digital back http://linhof.de/M679e​.html (external link) Can't use Canon lenses though :)

I'm jealous of your sister. . .erm, that didn't come out right. :oops::lol:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Cgb628
152 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 21, 2013 23:37 |  #165

Submariner wrote in post #16469727 (external link)
I will look for a second hand hardly used IDX,

I don't understand your acronyms. What does IDX stand for?

1DX - 1D3
24-70L - 135L - 300/2.8L IS

sponsored links

444,067 views & 24 likes for this thread
Sony a7(R): Best thing that happened to Canon users this year.
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.