Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
Thread started 18 Nov 2013 (Monday) 10:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

USGP Pictures

griz11
290 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 18, 2013 10:03 |  #1

IMAGE: http://m0.i.pbase.com/o9/29/1056729/1/153426430.RQBR89qV.GRIZ9619.jpg

IMAGE: http://m8.i.pbase.com/o9/29/1056729/1/153426428.ExYnPkJG.GRIZ9578.jpg

IMAGE: http://m1.i.pbase.com/o9/29/1056729/1/153424481.Ny5UmxNu.GRIZ9855.jpg

First time to shoot at a F1 race. COTA has some nice spots if you have a long lens and don't mind doing a little cropping. Turn 9-10 area is nice. You can get high enough to get over the fences and still not be in the stands. Quite a large area there that goes from Turn 5 to turn 10. All these were shot with a 7D and 70-200 L USM lens.

The rest are at my gallery page www.pbase.com/griz11 (external link)

Griz

WO 102GT with Flat6 Losmandy StarLapse Dec Axis Servos and SciTech controller Borg guider scope and Lodestar guider Canon 7D 7DMkII Canon 70-200 f4L USM Canon EF400 f5.6L USM Canon 40mm f2.8 STM Tamron SP 70-300 Di VC Borg guider scope and Lodestar guider www.pbase.com/griz11 (external link)

sponsored links
Firehouse
475 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 18, 2013 22:00 |  #2

They all seem soft, slightly oof..

Rich

griz11
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 19, 2013 14:34 |  #3

Yea I thought they were a little soft. But since I'm new to this game I felt like if I posted my suspicions would be proved correct or incorrect. Now if you can tell me how to get ai focus or ai servo to work correctly they won't be. I can't seem to get it to work no matter what I try. I decided to shoot all of these using ai focus. I usually just use single shot banging on the back button and get pretty good results but going to either of the servo modes they get soft. And the first one or two in a sequence are really off focus. But I read that this is the case most of the time with ai focus.

Griz

WO 102GT with Flat6 Losmandy StarLapse Dec Axis Servos and SciTech controller Borg guider scope and Lodestar guider Canon 7D 7DMkII Canon 70-200 f4L USM Canon EF400 f5.6L USM Canon 40mm f2.8 STM Tamron SP 70-300 Di VC Borg guider scope and Lodestar guider www.pbase.com/griz11 (external link)

JTX
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 19, 2013 15:24 |  #4

griz11 wrote in post #16464288 (external link)
Yea I thought they were a little soft. But since I'm new to this game I felt like if I posted my suspicions would be proved correct or incorrect. Now if you can tell me how to get ai focus or ai servo to work correctly they won't be. I can't seem to get it to work no matter what I try. I decided to shoot all of these using ai focus. I usually just use single shot banging on the back button and get pretty good results but going to either of the servo modes they get soft. And the first one or two in a sequence are really off focus. But I read that this is the case most of the time with ai focus.

Griz

You should be running AI servo. and high speed on the shutter. You need continuous focusing in the AI servo mode with targets moving at 200mph. Its likely moving out of focus before the shutter drops. The AI servo will compensate but will not give you a focus beep confirmation.

http://gallerytx.com (external link)
5DMK3 & 7DMK2 - 10-22, 50mm-1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 100-400mmL, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II / 270EX, 580EXII  :p
Celestron Ultima 11 Schmidt-Cassegrain

griz11
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 20, 2013 10:08 as a reply to  @ JTX's post |  #5

Thanks I did some research yesterday and found that out and a couple of other things I needed to set differently. Now its all set up for back button focus in ai servo mode. Did a little practice out by the freeway the cars aren't going that much slower really those were fairly slow areas I was shooting and the photos are nice and sharp now. Only problem its another year before I can try it out :) Going back through the photos and checking out the exif data I found out the exposure was slipping downwards until it was way to slow. Just a lot of things to remember for a newbie. Think I need to move from Av to M so I will watch that more closely. That ai focus mode seems to have problems from what I read.

Griz

330cic
208 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 20, 2013 15:48 |  #6

griz11 wrote in post #16466455 (external link)
Thanks I did some research yesterday and found that out and a couple of other things I needed to set differently. Now its all set up for back button focus in ai servo mode. Did a little practice out by the freeway the cars aren't going that much slower really those were fairly slow areas I was shooting and the photos are nice and sharp now. Only problem its another year before I can try it out :) Going back through the photos and checking out the exif data I found out the exposure was slipping downwards until it was way to slow. Just a lot of things to remember for a newbie. Think I need to move from Av to M so I will watch that more closely. That ai focus mode seems to have problems from what I read.

Griz

MotoGP is coming soon :-)

SteveH
Canon 7D, Sigma 10-20, Canon 50 f1.8, Canon 18-135 IS, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Sigma 150-500

ten31
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 21, 2013 15:50 |  #7

Griz

What kind of problems does servo have? This is new to me too.

Canon EOS 6D | 24-105mm f/4 IS USM | 85mm f/1.8 | 430EX II | Mefoto Roadtrip | RC6 remote

Jimil
427 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 21, 2013 16:58 |  #8

Griz

I wouldn't even worry about the back button and work on your panning. If you are just starting in in motorsports, use TV instead of AV, then work your way up to M. If the lens you are using doesn't have enough AF speed then pre-focus where you want to take the shot. Good luck and keep practicing. Don't make it more complicated than it already is.

JTX
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 21, 2013 18:17 |  #9

Griz

Not true you dont have to wait. Go to MotoGP in April for the MC races. They usually announce the race dates a few weeks after F1.

On the M manual mode, I would not. You should be using shutter priority mode not Aperature. You want to be able to drag the shutter when needed for some motion shots. You should check out some of the threads in here that covers the 7d. I think its in the child board called " talk ". Using manual mode is for controlled environments IMO like indoors. I've never had any trouble with the 7D in AV TV mode and setting the ISO. The camera is very good at setting proper white balance and other settings for you on the fly.

5DMK3 & 7DMK2 - 10-22, 50mm-1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 100-400mmL, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II / 270EX, 580EXII  :p

griz11
THREAD ­ STARTER
290 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 04, 2013 14:25 as a reply to  @ JTX's post |  #10

Bought my tics yesterday :) Hoping my brother doesn't have to leave for the middle east till late March so we can go to Sebring this year as well. I tried out all the suggestions last weekend and came home with a boatload of good shots. These are r/c cars and in my opinion they are much harder to shoot than the full sized cars. Good practice for the big boys free entrance and there are tracks everywhere and they love for photographers to show up and shoot their cars.

IMAGE: http://m2.i.pbase.com/o9/29/1056729/1/153581742.mKKpMMl1.GRIZ0247.jpg

IMAGE: http://m3.i.pbase.com/o9/29/1056729/1/153581723.IpPWYZMg.GRIZ0234.jpg

Needless to say I'm a happy camper. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Griz

JTX
Goldmember
1,777 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 14, 2013 05:36 |  #11

Looks like you got it set right now.

Enjoy!

Troy ­ Carter
46 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 19, 2013 22:25 |  #12

RC cars are tough to shoot for sure. They're fast and small, are hard combo to capture.

sponsored links

3,269 views & 0 likes for this thread
USGP Pictures
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.