Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 13 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 18:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BEFORE & after #496

Dawicka2
398 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 13, 2013 18:14 |  #1

The game will last 7 days and whoever can produce the best edited image (as judged by me) will be picked and it'll be their turn to post their unedited picture for all of us to take a crack at.

The participants must have their "Image Editing OK" turned on and they must provide at least a simple breakdown of how they edited the image, some entrants are a little vague on this point, please give us all details so we can learn and share tips. For instance if you use the unsharp mask tool or Smart Sharpen, provide us with the adjustments you used so others can try them out.

You can post multiple images, but the first image you post will be the one that is judged - all other images will be considered for knowledge and tip use only. Feel free to comment and/or ask questions at any time. This is a good competition for learning new methods, so let's make it a bit more dynamic. I will be judging edits, not comments. Feel free to comment on the original image as well.

If you happen to be the winner of the game please start the next one with the title of the game and the following number. For example…the next game should read "Before & After #497".

Submissions end, Tuesday, November 20th, 2013 at 7:12pm Eastern Standard Time and a winner will be announced.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1157.photobuck​et.com …/IMG_0411_zpsd8​169a0b.jpg (external link)

RAW file: http://ge.tt/2nKPOBz/v​/0?c (external link)

Good Luck!!!!

Magic lantern'd T2i, a 1d2n, 15-85, rokinon 8 and 85mm, nikon 55 f1.2, sigma 24mm f1.8 and Tokina 400mm creeperPrime.

sponsored links
EJphotos
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 13, 2013 22:13 |  #2

Here's my go at it in Lightroom 4.4:
B/W treatment
Contrast +57, Clarity +83
Whites -48, Blacks +33
Tone Curve: Highlights -34, Lights -13, Darks +51, Shadows -5
B/W Mix: Red -60, Orange +33, Yellow -36, Green +82, Aqua -100, Blue -100, Purple -60, Magenta +100
Sharpening 30, Detail 33

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 18, 2013 23:46 |  #3

There were a lot of peculiarities about this image, so I decided to focus on corrective editing rather than creative editing. I did basic cropping, exposure, sharpening adjustments in Lightroom and then finished off the image in Photoshop. I will give a small description and explanation a few of the steps I consider more important in an effort to be brief yet provide useful information.

Cropping, straightening, and lens adjustments were done in Lightroom with the goal creating the most compelling composition. I saw the image as a pair of leading lines in the foreground, the far bank and buildings as the mid-ground, the tower as the subject, and the sky as the background. I wanted the lines in the foreground to quickly move you from the foreground to the far bank as I didn't want all of the people in the foreground competing with the tower for interest. With my cropping intent in mind I cropped to get a pleasing composition and give the tower and far bank the most visual weight.

I carried out basic adjustments in Lightroom in order to generally lighten and add contrast to the image. While performing basic adjustments I noticed that the light appeared to be coming from high up camera right, yet there were some dark to light gradients going both right to left and top to bottom. I performed a few neutral density adjustments to correct for the gradients in both directions.

For sharpening I applied a higher-than-normal amount in Lightroom and then followed up with smart sharpening, high pass sharpening, and output sharpening in Photoshop(PS). A lot of this sharpening is part of my normal workflow, but the extra input sharpening and smart sharpen where to specifically counteract the camera shake which was apparent.

I ended up doing a few different RAW conversions; one for the base image, one for the shadow area, and a third for the sky. The right side of the shore, including the walk, people, grass, and trees was just too dark and made the image feel left heavy. I created the shadow conversion just for this area. I had already pulled a curve for the base image, so altering the curve for the shadows and then blending it in PS with a luminosity mask allowed me to open up and add enough detail just on the right shore to balance out the image. The conversion for the sky was to darken the sky and allow the eye to linger longer in the shadows areas where most of the interest is. The sky layer was also blended using luminosity masks.

Aside from the above corrective adjustments I cloned out the closest crane (I felt the further crane provided nice counterbalance for the buildings tower right) and added some warmth which I felt suited the scene.

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3695/10939253373_c3b303fcc6_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …27883438@N07/10​939253373/  (external link)
potncomp (external link) by Doidinho (external link), on Flickr

Robert McCadden
My Flickr (external link)
MM (external link)
5DMKII, Rebel xti, 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40.

Six6Sicks
471 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 19, 2013 01:46 |  #4

Clipped, snipped, flipped, dipped, used a #2 crayon, erased, shrunk.

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/IrevWvV.jpg

Gear: Yes.
Insert stupid photography quote here to make me more of a photographer.

Krottski
126 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 21, 2013 07:37 as a reply to  @ Six6Sicks's post |  #5

Creative Edit:

- Added Clouds (layered image and used layer mask)
- Applied Gaussian blur to lower part of image
- Slight crop
- Small adjustment to saturation
- Small adjustment to brightness/contrast

Did edit on your jpg version on Gimp (don't have access to my PS6 where I am currently)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1294.photobuck​et.com …umentEdit_zpsde​3b5dab.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Canon 60d - Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II - Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC - Thrifty 50
"I may be a noob but I make up for it with a complete lack of talent"

Dawicka2
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 21, 2013 16:58 |  #6

Nice edits!

Time to announce a winner..

ejrj6586- love the contrast in your take. Black and white really seems to work.

doidinho- I really like this edit. Rationale adds much insight to your improvements.

Six6Sicks- Nice. Image is much cleaner and color pops. Description made me laugh.

Krottski- Clouds add a peaceful feel to the image. I really like your KrottSKY.

I keep flipping between doidinho and six..

Switching to a different monitor to decide. six looks slightly oversaturated and doidinho's appears overexposed in certain areas (i am really picking). Taking it to the iphone. Yup the iphone with its stupid default settings.

And the winner is....... six.

Magic lantern'd T2i, a 1d2n, 15-85, rokinon 8 and 85mm, nikon 55 f1.2, sigma 24mm f1.8 and Tokina 400mm creeperPrime.

EJphotos
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 21, 2013 17:51 |  #7

Congrats six! All nice edits of this photo, good job!

Six6Sicks
471 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 21, 2013 22:45 |  #8

Thanks Dawicka! Was a little upset with myself for rushing and not positing the monument to a better perspective. Regardless, thanks.

#497 is up!
Before & After #497

Gear: Yes.
Insert stupid photography quote here to make me more of a photographer.

NigelD
Cream of the Crop
6,430 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 25, 2013 03:54 |  #9

Well done Six6Sicks - I missed this for some reason....

Nigel
http://nigeldaltonphot​ography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,467 views & 0 likes for this thread
BEFORE & after #496
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.