Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Nov 2013 (Thursday) 21:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bizarre story about my 5D MK III and CF cards...

gordholio
THREAD ­ STARTER
294 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 22, 2013 14:54 |  #16

Further to my message directly above, the same routine applies to all four of my CF cards.

sponsored links
jecottrell
324 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 22, 2013 15:00 |  #17

Can you downgrade from 1.2.3?

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 22, 2013 15:00 |  #18

My first knee jerk reaction was bent pins... I deal with tons of cf and pcmcia cards daily and this is almost exactly the same symptoms... Even to bent pins causing problems with additional cards inserted after the fact. That is until I read your last update about sleeping...

It may be something with the connection from the cf pin assembly to the circuit board inside the camera; but that in itself wouldn't address the issue of the same card not working in the PC, but continuing to work in the camera later after it is woken up , but not hard powered on.

Interesting... I hope you can figure it out!

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

rgregoryb
261 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 22, 2013 15:06 |  #19

the camera needs an exorcism..............​.

Leica D-LUX 4

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 22, 2013 15:12 |  #20

lehmanncpa wrote in post #16472303 (external link)
Write, yes. Not display photos.

But, you can also change which card it uses to display the photos as well. Don't need to take any cards out.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 22, 2013 15:35 |  #21

tagnal wrote in post #16472592 (external link)
But, you can also change which card it uses to display the photos as well. Don't need to take any cards out.

Yes, but going through the menu, selecting the feature and restarting the camera is more cumbersome than just removing the cards and re-inserting them.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,190 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 22, 2013 18:28 |  #22

Not sure this is anything relevant but the 7D had an issue with the sleep mode set at 2 seconds affecting functionality. It was a while back now so cannot recall the details but it seemed if I recall to only affect some folk and not others and was "cured" by a firmware update.......hopefully someone can point to the thread(s) relating to this??? FWIW during that time although I never experienced the issue I turned the 2 second sleep to a longer period....was it 10 seconds?

Now if the issue you describe was commonplace for the 5D3 this forum & others would be rife with the issue being reported and the fact that you can replicate it (re posts #15 & #16) would I hope put Canon service onto the solution with the camera in their hands, so best of luck getting it solved :) For technician the biggest problem is lack of the ability to reproduce the problem ;)

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 22, 2013 18:50 |  #23

lehmanncpa wrote in post #16472641 (external link)
Yes, but going through the menu, selecting the feature and restarting the camera is more cumbersome than just removing the cards and re-inserting them.

Hitting "Q", then using the joystick to go to the card selector and changing the cards write/view settings is more cumbersome than turning the camera off, opening the card door, taking out the sd card, closing the door, turning the camera back on, then going and putting back in the sd card???

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 22, 2013 19:52 |  #24

gordholio wrote in post #16470892 (external link)
Just checking to see if anyone has had the same (incredibly weird) experience as I.

So last night I removed the CF card from my 5D Mk II and stuck it in my card reader. Just like I've done a thousand times before. Except this time, Lightroom couldn't see any photos.

Uh-oh.

So I put the card back in the camera. All I wanted to do at that point was see the shots I took that day. What I got instead was a black display, which lasted maybe 15 seconds. When it finally came to life, I saw a "Card1 cannot be accessed" message.

Now I was really beginning to sweat.

I stuck the card back in the reader. Nothing. Windows wouldn't even recognize there was a card in there. So, once more I stuck it back in the camera. And *this* time, after enduring the same 15-second black display I'd seen the first time, I was finally able to see the files. I connected the USB cable right away and transferred my images to my hard drive. At least the pics were saved.

But the card mystery only deepened. I put another card in the camera. Same message. And another. And another. (All four are Sandisk Extreme 16GB models purchased at various times over the course of the last year that have never given me any trouble whatsoever). This was now getting seriously odd. And scary.

Then I started sticking them in my card reader (a Lexar pro). And *it* wouldn't read them either.

So in the cold light of day today, what I have is this: A camera that works perfectly fine with SD cards but gives me 10-15 seconds of black display when I'm using any of my four CF cards and then either won't take pics at all or will eventually "see" the card and operate normally. Until I stick in a different card, that is, when it all happens again.

Is this a camera problem? Well, I don't see any bent pins in the slot. And even if it was, there's also the issue with my card reader, where it suddenly won't *see* the cards either. I cannot emphasize enough that I had no card/reader/camera issues at any time before this. Also, we're talking four cards, not one, so the likelihood that all four would simultaneously combust at exactly the same time is virtually non-existent.

And yep, along the way I've now formatted all the cards more than once, in both the camera and in the card reader. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

One other thing: I dropped by a local store today and stuck two brand new CF cards into the camera. Same deal - black display for 10-15 seconds and then either they'd be recognized or they wouldn't. I also took along two of my seemingly screwed up cards along with me to try in another camera. They both worked fine.

I've contacted Sandisk. They said "This is very strange" and promised to get back to me tomorrow. I've contacted Canon. They've said "This is very strange" and told me to send in the camera and the cards.

I will undoubtedly end up sending the camera to Canon. But as I said in the beginning, I wonder if anyone else has had a similar bizarre card/camera/reader story. And if so, was there a (happy) solution?

Thanks for reading.

Is this a 5D3 per your subject line or a 5D2? per your 3rd line in the thread?
As I am not sure if a 5D2 has 2 card slots - just interested.
It sounds like a firmware glitch to me that is corrupting your card and subsequent cards.

If you have another camera. I would create the problem but put on of the CF cards in the other camera and format it. Then I would check whether that is OK to be read in the card reader wheras the other 3 should fail.
If that happened I would reload the firmware Ver 1.2.3 I believe one can relod it. NB re down load from the web the FIR file so you are not reloading rubbish. I would also take both batteries out before redoing the firmware re-load [turning it off when it is in a working stated i.e. after your 'letting it go into sleep mode'.

If I then still had the problem it would be straight to Canon as I personally couldn't / wouldn't want to have a "flaky" untrustworthy camera.
I would also borrow another card reader to load the FIR onto the CF card, before re-loading the Firmware.

So Sorry to hear of your troubles; however you seem very philosophical about it all! - I would be well depressed as I hate the unknown!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

gordholio
THREAD ­ STARTER
294 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 22, 2013 20:39 |  #25

Submariner: It's a 5D Mk III, not II. My slip-up.

And...I'm happy I come across as philosophical. Because down deep inside I get seriously annoyed with things that seemingly don't make sense.

FYI, I spoke with Canon again this afternoon (after I'd whittled it down per Post #15). The tech person told me it sounds like a short of some sort. I then reminded her that all four of the cards have also stopped working in my card reader (after they'd been in my camera) and asked if cameras can screw-up cards. She said it's possible.

Anyway, I'm glad I just joined CPS. :-)

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 23, 2013 06:45 |  #26

tagnal wrote in post #16473052 (external link)
Hitting "Q", then using the joystick to go to the card selector and changing the cards write/view settings is more cumbersome than turning the camera off, opening the card door, taking out the sd card, closing the door, turning the camera back on, then going and putting back in the sd card???

Oh, is that it? I thought you had to go through the menu with the dials and look for the menu item. To be honest, I've never had to do it since I always use the cable and hardly ever remove the cards. I'll try this.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback

Lucy ­ Brown
303 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 23, 2013 07:42 |  #27

lehmanncpa wrote in post #16471670 (external link)
Something similar happened to me not long ago.

It appears that my 5D3 can only display images from one card at a time. That card is what I refer to as the default card. The default card appears to be the first card to be inserted into my camera. Now, I typically don't remove my memory cards to download images, but I was at my dad's house and he wanted to have copies of some photos of his grandkids, so I obliged and turned off my camera and removed my CF card to download the images onto my dad's computer. Well, apparently when I removed the CF card to download images, the SD card that was never removed automatically became the default card. When I re-installed the CF card into my 5D3, the SD card continued to be the default card and the camera would only display images from the SD card, of which there were none. That freaked me out a little since I had well over 300 images that I had not downloaded yet.

To correct the issue, I turned off the camera, removed both cards, re-installed both cards with the CF card going in first, then powered up again. The CF card became the default card and I was able to display my images.

That's normal. When you remove the CF card the SD card becomes the primary card. You have to go into the menu and change it back to the CF card. The CF card doesn't become the primary write card again just be reinserting it. I found out the same way. Reinserted the CF card with images on it and got the no images message when I went to review them on the camera. Scary moment. ???

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 23, 2013 07:49 |  #28

Lucy Brown wrote in post #16473993 (external link)
Scary moment. ???

Yes. Very high on the pucker factor. :eek:

Alex
Gear List
Feedback

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 23, 2013 12:36 |  #29

Lucy Brown wrote in post #16473993 (external link)
That's normal. When you remove the CF card the SD card becomes the primary card. You have to go into the menu and change it back to the CF card. The CF card doesn't become the primary write card again just be reinserting it. I found out the same way. Reinserted the CF card with images on it and got the no images message when I went to review them on the camera. Scary moment. ???

Not if you don't close the card door while the any cards are removed.

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,622 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 23, 2013 15:19 |  #30

lehmanncpa wrote in post #16471670 (external link)
Well, apparently when I removed the CF card to download images, the SD card that was never removed automatically became the default card.

If you didn't close the card bay door while one of the card was out, the switch wouldn't have happened.

sponsored links

11,576 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bizarre story about my 5D MK III and CF cards...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.