Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Nov 2013 (Friday) 12:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you know when to upgrade your camera?

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 22, 2013 15:17 |  #31

I had a 20D that I loved. The 7D came out and I started lusting after the amazing AF and video since at the time we had a baby on the way.

When did I decide to upgrade?

When my wife got tired of hearing about how great the new camera was and said, "Just buy the damned thing already."

-F

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

sponsored links
Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 22, 2013 15:18 |  #32

Many people here have been helpful; but we're all just guessing at this point..
Be honest with yourself:

What DO you shoot?
What do you WANT to shoot but have not?
Do you want/need to shoot video?
How big do you want to print your pictures?
Do you have any EF-S lenses that will be unusable on a FF camera? (I bought my 10-22 before I bought my 1D mk iii/upgraded to a Mk iv. That 10-22 can only be used on my 50D now.)
Do you have any serious vacations coming up that may influence your decision?

If all your pictures are of people in daylight, full frame by itself may not be necessary.
If you want to shoot available light pictures.. or astrophotography.. then the reduced noise of a full frame may be for you.
If you shoot or want to shoot sports; maybe newer camera's autofocus may be a benefit

I know to some extent what you're going through.. I started with a G2, 300D, 20D, 30D, 1Dmk iii, 50D, 1Dmk iv. Each step along the way was because I couldn't do something with what I had. I really REALLY want a 1DX now, but I have no REASON to leave my Mk iv.

Good luck in your journey.
(Have you read up on the canon loyalty program??)

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

jjaenagle
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 22, 2013 15:22 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

Tdragone wrote in post #16472603 (external link)

definitely get involved with the CLP.

Instagram (external link)Website (external link)
GEAR & FEEDBACK

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 22, 2013 15:24 |  #34

d.tek wrote in post #16472598 (external link)
I don't know if I can agree with that. I believe there is a 'threshold' of acceptable high ISO noise. My XTi was TERRIBLE with high ISO, my 50D was a bit better, but my 5D Mark II is at a point where it's acceptable. From here, I wouldn't upgrade to a 6D or 5D Mark III SOLELY based on that reason, but from the XTi, I would.

Quite fair.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

I ­ Love ­ Cats
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 22, 2013 15:31 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

gonzogolf wrote in post #16472310 (external link)
when my ego tells me to :) I dont mind being on generation out of date, but it bugs me to be much older than that. So I bought a 5DII when the 5DIII hit the market. Your XTI is fine camera, but the technology has improved considerably since it came out and you have a wide range of options, all of which would serve as an upgrade. If you dont know the benefits of Full Frame, then you arent ready to spend the extra to get one.

Nonsense. Pure, unadulterated non-sense. Readiness to spend money has very little to do with skill level, equipment needs or camera knowledge. Readiness to spend money is most closely correlated with the ability to spend money.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 22, 2013 15:35 |  #36

I Love Cats wrote in post #16472633 (external link)
Nonsense. Pure, unadulterated non-sense. Readiness to spend money has very little to do with skill level, equipment needs or camera knowledge. Readiness to spend money is most closely correlated with the ability to spend money.

So they should spend the extra because somebody somewhere said its a nifty idea? Not because they have done the research on the benefits and whether the full frame is a benefits or a hindrance to them?

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 22, 2013 15:51 |  #37

I Love Cats wrote in post #16472633 (external link)

Yeah, you are right, but I think you missed the point. It may have just been a poor choice of words, the same point could have been made, better said as: If you don't know the benefits of Full Frame, there is little point in upgrading to full frame.

When people, that I know well, ask me for advise on what cameras to by, the answer I give them does take into account their financial situation. The person I know, that sold his business for $450MM a few years ago (and always wants "the best") gets a different answer than the single mother who's son swims on my son's swim team and just wants better shot of their kid -- even though their skill levels are about same. (I'm tempted to add that the first get an answer that would make borrowing gear from him interesting..)

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

I ­ Love ­ Cats
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 22, 2013 15:52 |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

Of course, some people know what they need and buy accordingly. Lots of people are fixated on more money means better product. This applies to lots more than just cameras. How many threads have you seen where the OP asks why they can't adjust some parameter in GREEN BOX mode, on their new 7D? Or, this 5DIII cost so much and it doesn't even have a flash. Or, all of the focus points are flashing and nothing is in focus! This camera sucks! Some folks tend to buy what they can afford, whether they know what they are doing or not.

If some photography magazine declared that XXX body from YYY manufacturer was the best camera in the world, ever, some folks would run right out and plunk down cash because they are tired of the lousy pix they get with their A1100IS.

melodee127
THREAD ­ STARTER
88 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 22, 2013 15:54 |  #39

Fernando wrote in post #16472601 (external link)
When did I decide to upgrade?

When my wife got tired of hearing about how great the new camera was and said, "Just buy the damned thing already."

-F

hahaha. classic :)

<>< Melody Ybona Gawliu <><
I don't have a site for my photos yet, but hopefully soon...
Canon 5d mk2 recently upgraded from Canon XTI !

I ­ Love ­ Cats
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 22, 2013 15:55 |  #40
bannedPermanent ban

hairy_moth wrote in post #16472675 (external link)
Yeah, you are right, but I think you missed the point. It may have just been a poor choice of words, the same point could have been made, better said as: If you don't know the benefits of Full Frame, there is little point in upgrading to full frame.

That is a much better way of putting it. I wasn't sure of the benefits of FF when I bought my 5D. Now that I've seen what FF is really all about, I am ready for a 70D. My needs may not necessarily be anyone else's.

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 22, 2013 15:56 |  #41

hairy_moth wrote in post #16472675 (external link)
If you don't know the benefits of Full Frame, there is little point in upgrading to full frame.

If you so chooose, there's no reason why you can't purchase a full frame as your starting point and learn from there. No one makes you buy an advanced point & shoot that has manual controls so that you learn exposure settings before you purchase a Rebel.

In fact, for anyone just starting out with photography, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 5D classic. It is just about the perfect learning camera at used prices today. It doesn't have features that get in the way of learning good composition and proper exposure.

melodee127
THREAD ­ STARTER
88 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 22, 2013 15:58 |  #42

Tdragone wrote in post #16472603 (external link)
Many people here have been helpful; but we're all just guessing at this point..
Be honest with yourself:

What DO you shoot?
What do you WANT to shoot but have not?
Do you want/need to shoot video?
How big do you want to print your pictures?
Do you have any EF-S lenses that will be unusable on a FF camera? (I bought my 10-22 before I bought my 1D mk iii/upgraded to a Mk iv. That 10-22 can only be used on my 50D now.)
Do you have any serious vacations coming up that may influence your decision?

If all your pictures are of people in daylight, full frame by itself may not be necessary.
If you want to shoot available light pictures.. or astrophotography.. then the reduced noise of a full frame may be for you.
If you shoot or want to shoot sports; maybe newer camera's autofocus may be a benefit

I know to some extent what you're going through.. I started with a G2, 300D, 20D, 30D, 1Dmk iii, 50D, 1Dmk iv. Each step along the way was because I couldn't do something with what I had. I really REALLY want a 1DX now, but I have no REASON to leave my Mk iv.

These are some great questions for me to think about. I shoot in a lot of low lighting where flash is not allowed or just too much of a distraction to attempt.

What is the canon loyalty program or where can I find more information on it?

Thank you for your questions/thoughts!

<>< Melody Ybona Gawliu <><
I don't have a site for my photos yet, but hopefully soon...
Canon 5d mk2 recently upgraded from Canon XTI !

d.tek
297 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 22, 2013 16:00 |  #43

Nathan wrote in post #16472687 (external link)
If you so chooose, there's no reason why you can't purchase a full frame as your starting point and learn from there. No one makes you buy an advanced point & shoot that has manual controls so that you learn exposure settings before you purchase a Rebel.

In fact, for anyone just starting out with photography, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 5D classic. It is just about the perfect learning camera at used prices today. It doesn't have features that get in the way of learning good composition and proper exposure.

I completely agree.

Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 22, 2013 16:02 |  #44

melodee127 wrote in post #16472690 (external link)
These are some great questions for me to think about. I shoot in a lot of low lighting where flash is not allowed or just too much of a distraction to attempt.

What is the canon loyalty program or where can I find more information on it?

Thank you for your questions/thoughts!

Are you in the United States? If so, just do a forum search here. I think its a canon usa only programe

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 22, 2013 16:07 |  #45

d.tek wrote in post #16472598 (external link)
I don't know if I can agree with that. I believe there is a 'threshold' of acceptable high ISO noise. My XTi was TERRIBLE with high ISO, my 50D was a bit better, but my 5D Mark II is at a point where it's acceptable. From here, I wouldn't upgrade to a 6D or 5D Mark III SOLELY based on that reason, but from the XTi, I would.

Just another thought... remember when great photos were being made on film? ISO 800 and 1600 were already pretty darn high and the demands of photographers to have crisp, clean images were no where the levels they are of digital photographers today.

sponsored links

5,756 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you know when to upgrade your camera?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.