Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Nov 2013 (Friday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Selling portraits vs. selling art prints?

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 15, 2013 10:20 |  #1

I am a full time portrait photographer. I own a studio in Northeast Arkansas. Although I make my living selling portraits, I have a love for photographing nature, still life, and landscapes. I normally share my art images on facebook and instagram. Now I have people asking to purchase prints of my art images. I am wondering how I should price the prints of my art images. Should they be priced higher or lower than my portrait prints?
I sell an 8X10 portrait for $38 which is mounted to styrene. Should I sell an art print for the same? Or should it be different? My cost of the print is the same, however I spend extra fuel cost driving around looking for interesting things to photograph. When I do portraits, most customers have paid a session fee prior to purchasing prints. That session fee covers my time and fuel cost . Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,135 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 15, 2013 10:29 |  #2

Essentially you are trying to monetize the hobby side of your photography. Nothing wrong with that but it frees you to be divorce yourself from the actual costs (you would have driven around looking for landscapes even if nobody ever bought a print) in a way you wouldnt be able to do with your portrait work. Think about what the market would bear. Art prints usually sell for more than you charge for your portraits, although they are often marketed in a gallery setting mounted and framed. But since this is essentially found money, selling something you already made for little additional cost, you can select a price point that you feel comfortable with and feel like provides value to your customers.

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 15, 2013 15:17 |  #3

I'm not doing this full-time, but I came up with a formula to price my prints... area in inches x $0.42, rounded to the nearest 5 dollars. So a 8 x 10 (80 x $0.42 = $33.60) would sell for $35. I came up with this by averaging the size/price from a lot of landscape/nature photographer's sites. Hope that helps.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 15, 2013 16:43 |  #4

How many times did you drive to a particular location to get said landscape (e.g. travel expense)? How many customers do you want to charge for this expense?

When you sell portraits, I assume that it's generally a single client that is buying portraits of them-self or family. However, there may be multiple people that choose to purchase a landscape.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

jmalonear
THREAD ­ STARTER
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 15, 2013 21:39 |  #5

Thanks for all of the input!!!!

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

Ernst-Ulrich ­ Schafer
253 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 16, 2013 10:08 |  #6

I also have a portrait studio and sell 8X10's or 5X7's at $60each. I personal mat and frame my BW art images to 16X20 and sell them at $250, same for any BW portrait.

Today is the Day: Ruth Bernhard

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 16, 2013 11:37 |  #7

Both should be higher.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 16, 2013 19:03 |  #8

I think it matters whether you want your art prints to be considered "Art Decor" or "Fine Art." I think of "Art Decor" as the kind of thing you buy at a home decor store (Kirklands, Bed Bath and Beyond) to fill a decorative space on the wall or as part of the overall room decor. These are the kind of things that sell for the price point you mentioned.

Fine Art is something hung to be appreciated for the thing itself. That generally lends it more value. Print and mount according to what you want your image to be, and then price accordingly.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 17, 2013 09:21 |  #9

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16456186 (external link)
Both should be higher.

Totally agree. Depending on your sitting fee, I think $38 is too low for a portrait print. But, your market may dictate $38 (I'd at least bump it to an even $40).

Along with the driving expenses, there is your time. Do you drive to a place, jump out of the car, take a shot, and leave? No, you may have to wait for the perfect lighting, or whatever.

Even though it's only the hobby side of your photography, once you start selling the art prints, you have to think of it as another part of your business, that has costs involved.

If, as mentioned by Matt, they are truly 'art prints', I would probably go larger than 8x10, and charge a minimum of $100.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

Ernst-Ulrich ­ Schafer
253 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 17, 2013 09:33 |  #10

Yes it all depends what area you might be living in. I live in small town America and am quite happy with what folks spend with me. My costs for 8X's is $12 and costs for the 16X20 is $50. If I were in Seattle I'm sure my asking price would be much higher.

Today is the Day: Ruth Bernhard

jmalonear
THREAD ­ STARTER
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 17, 2013 22:25 |  #11

Thanks everyone. I think as far as my print prices are concerned...I am within my market. I live in a very small rural community, and my prices are higher than any competitor within 45 miles already. So I doubt I would substantially increase my prices right now. I do think I like the idea of there being a minimum of something like $100 or so for a matted and framed 8X10 maybe. And the price would increase if they want a larger size.

Friends call me Jay!
Facebook (external link)

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 22, 2013 12:40 |  #12

Fine art landscape prints are more expensive than portrait prints because there is a lot more equipment involved and more skill. For portrait work you have 2 of the best Canon lenses but for landscape you might want something thats wider (another expense for you). You might also use a polarizer, GND filters, tripod and others that would not be needed for portrait photo shoot. You also have to factor where you go to take your landscape pictures. If its somewhere close to your house than the only expensive you have is gas / car depreciation. I fly out across the country to shoot landscape and do less than 5% locally. I have to factor in thousands of dollars that I spend on airfare, lodging, transportation, meals, etc while shooting landscape.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,135 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 22, 2013 13:16 |  #13

dkizzle wrote in post #16472186 (external link)
Fine art landscape prints are more expensive than portrait prints because there is a lot more equipment involved and more skill. For portrait work you have 2 of the best Canon lenses but for landscape you might want something thats wider (another expense for you). You might also use a polarizer, GND filters, tripod and others that would not be needed for portrait photo shoot. You also have to factor where you go to take your landscape pictures. If its somewhere close to your house than the only expensive you have is gas / car depreciation. I fly out across the country to shoot landscape and do less than 5% locally. I have to factor in thousands of dollars that I spend on airfare, lodging, transportation, meals, etc while shooting landscape.

I call BS on the first sentence. Price out a studio equipped with profoto or even elinchrome strobes and modifiers before you say portrait work takes less gear. And as for skill, different skills, yes, more skill not necessarily.

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,972 posts
Gallery: 367 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 22, 2013 14:11 |  #14

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16456186 (external link)
Both should be higher.

If your name is known..sure..if not..;)

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 22, 2013 15:36 |  #15

gonzogolf wrote in post #16472288 (external link)
I call BS on the first sentence. Price out a studio equipped with profoto or even elinchrome strobes and modifiers before you say portrait work takes less gear. And as for skill, different skills, yes, more skill not necessarily.

Yeah, that is pretty dumb. I shot corporate portraits last week. I used a total of 9 lights with modifiers, a camera, two lenses, pocket wizards, and backup cameras and lenses.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

sponsored links

2,405 views & 0 likes for this thread
Selling portraits vs. selling art prints?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.