Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 22 Nov 2013 (Friday) 00:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

B&H Shipping

Ghl
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 22, 2013 11:55 |  #16

This is the answer I got for the same question,

"Thanks for your order and survey feedback. The free Standard shipping is the same as UPS Ground shipping without the "in-house same day rush" that the other shipping methods have and it therefore could take another day or two until it ships out."

sponsored links
smacatl
Goldmember
1,539 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 22, 2013 12:00 |  #17

I'm disappointed in B&H shipping in general - but my issue is not a result of UPS or FedEx.

I placed an order for an in-stock item on Tuesday morning at 10:00 AM. It was an iPad and for whatever reason B&H will not allow you to order iPads on-line, you must physically call the order in. I call in, they found my account, confirmed the details, read everything back and we're good to go. Total time with menus and a brief hold - no more than 6 minutes. CSR was very pleasant and polite.

Usually, my confirmation order arrives in the email within seconds. That day, no immediate confirmation. No big deal I think, it was a telephone order. No shipping confirmation that afternoon either. Tuesday night I realize that no confirmations ever arrived. I call back first thing Wednesday morning and they have no record of the transaction. They search by account, email, phone number, address, name - nothing anywhere. Again, the CSR was very polite and helpful.

Strange, but no big deal. So I call back in and go thru the process again (being sure to get a confirmation number this time). The iPad is still in stock, and it's only 9:30 in the morning, so I accept the "free shipping" which is UPS. For 10 years, UPS ground to my house from B&H arrives on the second business day, making it unnecessary to pay for 2nd Day shipping.

You guessed it - despite the order being placed at 9:30 in the morning, it sat until the following day (quite likely a victim of the Space Availability that BPS mentioned above). It is now scheduled for delivery on Monday of next week. Five business days from the initial order and four business days from the reorder.

In fairness to B&H; everyone I spoke with was polite and courteous, and I was offered the opportunity to upgrade from the "Free" shipping that was included with my purchase. I made the choice to remain with UPS ground based on my prior experience with shipping from B&H. I had not heard about the changes in the shipping vendors (my order still came UPS ground), or the switch to Space Available shipping prior to this thread.

First bad experience with B&H in over 10 years and hundreds of orders. I'll know better next time.

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

l89kip
582 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 22, 2013 15:34 |  #18

B&H shipping instructions did state clearly that it may take 5 to 8 business days for free shipping. In most cases my shipping did arrive less than 8 business days. So to be fair, B&H didn't do anything against their stated policies/rules.

The issue is, compared with others like Adorama, B&H's free shipping takes longer. The FedEx smart post service is usually slower than UPS ground.

Gear: 7D II, 6D | EF-S 17-55 | 35/2, 85/1.8, 35 L,100L,135L, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200 F/4L IS, Sigma 150-600 C | 580 EX II, 270 EX II

turbo_911
491 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 22, 2013 16:08 |  #19

I ordered a lens last week and it came by UPS. All my shipments were with UPS from B&H. It always look 2 days from NY to PA.

FedEx is fast as well, ordered couple items from OH to PA, took 1 day to ship, regular FedEx ground. I am sure shipping will get slower, as Holidays are coming up, thus takes longer.

Canon 6D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS |

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 22, 2013 16:39 |  #20

Gotta agree with Kip.. B& H did meet it service level agreement with the shipping. It is just that Adorama WELL exceeds it shipping times.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

badams
699 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 22, 2013 16:50 |  #21

scorpio_e wrote in post #16471817 (external link)
I bought a $200 camera strap from B&H. The original was shipped fine. My replacement was shipped loose with absolutely no protection and the belt buckle was poking though the side of the box.
They did ship my replacement and the shipping for the return was a LOT faster.

Wow, a $200 strap! That must be some strap.

Yea FedEx smartpost is sorry. Tracking is always a gamble as well once the post office gets a hold of it.

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

l89kip
582 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 22, 2013 17:26 |  #22

FedEx smartpost is difficult to track, after FedEx handed the packages to USPS.

Gear: 7D II, 6D | EF-S 17-55 | 35/2, 85/1.8, 35 L,100L,135L, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200 F/4L IS, Sigma 150-600 C | 580 EX II, 270 EX II

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,145 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Nov 22, 2013 20:15 |  #23

Methodical wrote in post #16471125 (external link)
Has anyone noticed that B&H shipping takes longer now since they started using Fedex even though it's coming from the same place? I'm in the DC area and my shipments only took 2 days with UPS. Now, it takes about 5 or more days with Fedex. When I check the status, it seems that they are just sitting on the shipment (i.e. holding it). Just curious?

there is no slower service provided by anyone to san jose than UPS ground.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 23, 2013 06:42 |  #24

badams wrote in post #16472816 (external link)
Wow, a $200 strap! That must be some strap.

Yea FedEx smartpost is sorry. Tracking is always a gamble as well once the post office gets a hold of it.

Yep it is .. I have the money maker dual strap. I shoot weddings and it is looks better than black webbing.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

CaptainSteve
337 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 23, 2013 10:47 |  #25

I am a FedEx Ground driver for the last 11 years, trying to shed some light.

its not FedEx that is dragging there feet, if a customer or B&H in this case buy's fedex ground service via United states postal service smart post it will take longer as your package for those extra days are in the hands of USPS,

I deliver daily full bags with fedex ground lables with USPS/fedex smart post labeled packages in those bags to 4 different post offices each day. we do not deliver fedex ground smart post packages, we deliver the bags with those smart post packages in them to the postal service locations.
remember back in the news the postal service is trying to save costs all the time and this was one of those methods.

If a customer or B&H buy and use pure Fedex ground service for one package that package will get there the same day if not a day earlier to your location.

soo its not FedEx ground's fault. our semi's and ground trucks run the same routes every day, nothing is delayed (well providing weather or breakdown)

its USPS and there cost savings and B&H bought into using that service soo we the customers get our packages a bit later now,, but free shipping is nice huh, if you can wait the delay then go for it, I do. I use B&H and Adorama all the time and there smart post are about the same arriving to my door. when I need something faster I'll pay for it.

soo those full bags I get on my truck are full soo how long do they sit a USPS facilities before they get full is the question and there is your delay right there.

just trying clarifying things a bit.
cheers
Steve

1DX | 5D III | 7D | 50D | 40D | 100-400 II L | 70-200L f2.8 IS | 16-35L II | 24-105L | Sigma 30 f1.4
My Portfolio
http://captainstevepho​tography.zenfolio.com/ (external link)
http://captainstevepho​tography.com/ (external link)

Methodical
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,409 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 23, 2013 10:57 |  #26

CaptainSteve, my packages were delivered directly by Fedex, not usps. All I am saying is that in the past, my B&H orders would be here by 2 days with UPS, but with Fedex, those same type of orders take a bit longer. I can't speak on Smart Post. Now, when I ship packages via Fedex they are delivered as specified and sometimes cheaper than UPS and/or USPS. I use all of them, based on deliver times and cost.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

DelAllenGreenwood
435 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 23, 2013 11:15 as a reply to  @ CaptainSteve's post |  #27

I've used B&H for several years and I buy from them for price and fast delivery. I used the free shipping a couple of times and found out how slow it is. Seems like it was 5-6 days to central Indiana instead of 2 days. I pay extra for the ground shipping if I need it in a hurry.

Thanks CaptainSteve for the insight!

My Pictures @ flickr (external link)

CaptainSteve
337 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 23, 2013 11:31 |  #28

Methodical wrote in post #16474285 (external link)
CaptainSteve, my packages were delivered directly by Fedex, not usps. All I am saying is that in the past, my B&H orders would be here by 2 days with UPS, but with Fedex, those same type of orders take a bit longer. I can't speak on Smart Post. Now, when I ship packages via Fedex they are delivered as specified and sometimes cheaper than UPS and/or USPS. I use all of them, based on deliver times and cost.

Hmmm, but are you sure those fedex labels on the boxes don't say smartpost or have two barcodes on them, one fedex and one usps. cause thats what is inside those bags I deilver

From New Jersey to DC is usually 1 day or 2 day service via fedex ground for that short drive.
Some logistics on how it Should work for B&H
shipper creates label puts it on the box, fedex ground driver picks up the box the same day, that truck goes to the terminal it gets unloaded same day and loaded to a fedex semi truck same day that Semi truck drives overnight directly to the terminal where your location is located,, that semi is unloaded at 3am and loaded onto a fedex ground truck for delivery the next day. there is no delay.

ok thats one day fedex ground service. now if that semi stops at another location from NJ to DC it would take one extra day, we have Semi truck drivers who drive from our location in the top of Ohio to the bottom of Kentucky in the same day . some crazy distances . soo from new jersey to DC it should only take 2 days tops via a only Fedex ground service. the packages do not sit around.

if its smart post it would take alot longer again those bags need to be filled before they are delivered.

if you say its for sure a pure and only Fedex ground label from New Jersey to DC on those boxes well there is indeed a logistics problem on somebodys part and I would complain as well with wondering with whats up!! haha

just trying to answer the questions posted here in the thread
cheers man

1DX | 5D III | 7D | 50D | 40D | 100-400 II L | 70-200L f2.8 IS | 16-35L II | 24-105L | Sigma 30 f1.4
My Portfolio
http://captainstevepho​tography.zenfolio.com/ (external link)
http://captainstevepho​tography.com/ (external link)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,858 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 23, 2013 16:04 |  #29

I don't think the problem is with B&H or Fed-Ex or UPS or even the dreaded USPS. The problem is mostly with consumers who shop every purchase to death and who will choose the cheapest option with almost zero regard for what level of customer service or overall value a retailer might provide.

I don't have any insight in to any changes B&H has made with regard to shipping policy, but it seems reasonable that they have "downgraded" the free shipping option to save a buck or two and remain competitive.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 23, 2013 17:06 |  #30

Wow, thank CaptainSteve! It's always great to get solid info from someone on the inside.

Much appreciated!
Bryan

My Gear List

sponsored links

3,051 views & 0 likes for this thread
B&H Shipping
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.