Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 14 Feb 2006 (Tuesday) 12:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Travel tips - India

reemas
325 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 14, 2006 12:07 |  #1

I'll be going to India for 2 weeks soon. I'm going to visit family and relatives spread out amongst small towns to big cities. I'm taking my 20D and all the lenses that fit inside my Crumpler bag. That means I won't be able to take my longest lens, the Sigma 150 Macro.

I also won't be taking my tripod, Bogen 3021. I only have 3 lenses, and the 2 I'm taking are the Canon 50 1.8 and the EF-S 10-22.

I'm just looking for travel tips (especially to northern India) in terms of safety, photo advice, anything. Please share any info you can give! Thanks.

Oh, and I only have two fast 1GB CF cards. So my only choice is to download the photos nightly to my iPod until I get home.

sponsored links
condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,887 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 14, 2006 16:34 |  #2

The lenses and camera combo will be fine. Less is more sometimes. The 50mm will give a discipline to your shooting and the aperture is very flexible. Street shooting is superb in India. You will be surrounded a lot so that provides opportunities and problems. Watch for pickpockets in any crowds but India is generally very safe and the people extremely friendly. Be careful of scams. I dunno if you've been before or not. If not then you will find many individuals that approach and seem friendly are actually scammers. Shame, but I've been 3 times and it's a simple fact you have to live with. As to places to visit then best look at a guide book and decide on your own interests. The only place i regret not seeing from my various trips is the 'outsider art' somewhere NW of Delhi (if I remember!!) Superb photographic opportunty ...

Oh yes, and you need to ration the shots you take given your CF cards and a prime lens carefully used, focusing on good composition rather than machine gun P&S style, will help you in this.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

FlyingPete
I am immune
4,139 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Feb 14, 2006 19:36 as a reply to  @ condyk's post |  #3

Check this thread out:
https://photography-on-the.net …?t=134876&highl​ight=india

Similar issues were covered in that thread...

Peter Lowden.
Gear List: Kodak Brownie Reflex BR20 with 80mm f/11 lens and some digital stuff. EOS Owner since 1996! (Click here for complete List)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,618 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 21, 2013 01:46 |  #4

Where are you going? India is a third the size of the US with each state being different.

Are you male or female? If female, be careful. People by and large are pretty friendly but you can get taken advantage of. Do not set your bag down. Pickpockets are experts are using a sharp knife to slice through your bag and take whatever is in there, so be aware of that. You won't feel a thing, so you need to be vigilant. Do NOT take crowded buses. Even locals get their pockets picked, so you will be a sitting duck there. Take autorikshaws - they are not very expensive and you can go by yourself, so you will be safe.

Only place where you will be explicitly told not to take photos is in the sanctum sancotorum of temples. If you are not Hindu, you will probably be not allowed anyway.

Have fun. India is a great place. Drink bottled water, etc. You don't want to ruin your vacation being sick there.

If you have more questions, ask away. I grew up there, so I can give you a lot of info.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

johnandbentley
942 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 12, 2013 07:45 |  #5

I have been 4 times.
1. avoid tapwater and avoid buying bottled water off street (tap water in an old bottle recapped trick)
2. bring plenty of pocket sized antibacterial hand sanitizer and use it often ( trust me, got e coli last trip and was doubled over in bed for 2 days until i could get a doctor in house)
3. If you can somehow sneak in your 150, you will love the length for street photography. The haze from an overpopulated country makes for great lighting any time of day and street photography is great, a 50 will work but you will be more in peoples faces.
4. Enjoy yourself, the people have such spirit!

6D, Sigma 24mm f1.4 art, sigma 85 f1.4 art

Gomar
531 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 24, 2013 16:46 |  #6

reemas wrote in post #1187952 (external link)
I'm taking my 20D and all the lenses that fit inside my Crumpler bag. I only have 3 lenses, and the 2 I'm taking are the Canon 50 1.8 and the EF-S 10-22.

Whats your photo web site? When will your book on India be published and how much? When will PBS air your travel episode?
And ifcourse, how much are you getting paid to photograph the sites and populace?

tip: just take a 5x P&S, and avoid getting your SLR gear stolen, and enjoy the trip.

sponsored links

1,622 views & 0 likes for this thread
Travel tips - India
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.