Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Nov 2013 (Monday) 00:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama International Shipping

malakite
677 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 25, 2013 00:15 |  #1

FYI ; I live in Australia...

What is the deal with the Intl shipping costs? I'm wanting to get a pair of op/tech mini qd loops. They come in a pack of four and cost $5.95. All good so far. Turns out my only option for shipping would cost me $59.50!

Am I missing something here? Are they so huge and heavy the package wouldn't fit into a regular sized envelope :confused: I don't want express shipping. I don't mind waiting for standard shipping delivery. I regularly purchase items online from the States and usually get the option for a reasonable postage cost for small items. Makes sense, no?

B&H aren't much better at $32.00 for shipping.

p.s. Any Australian retailer I've come across that sells them are out of stock with no idea when more are coming in. Op/Tech themselves only ship within Canada and the US.

Sigh.

/end rant

I own a magical box that captures light!
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Africanphoto
124 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 25, 2013 00:56 |  #2

I feel your pain. With bhphoto they have a minimum cost for shipping, so it's better to buy more and shipping hardly goes up. Just bought a monopod and some other things and shipping only cost 40.00

Canon 7D, Canon 100mm L F2.8, Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 OS, Sigma 50mm F1.4, Canon 430 ex II, Sigma 2x teleconverter, Kenko extension tubes, Vello flash cord And a few bits and peices and a Yashica 635!!!

Africanphoto
124 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 25, 2013 00:56 |  #3

Ebay or amazon?

Canon 7D, Canon 100mm L F2.8, Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 OS, Sigma 50mm F1.4, Canon 430 ex II, Sigma 2x teleconverter, Kenko extension tubes, Vello flash cord And a few bits and peices and a Yashica 635!!!

malakite
THREAD ­ STARTER
677 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 25, 2013 01:49 |  #4

Ebay had all of two or three with the cheapest working out to $30ish in total =\ I'd rather buy a nice lance strap for that kind of money... I had a pack in a cart on the amazon website ready to go, but there was no 'proceed to payment' button/link on the page!

It almost feels like a personal conspiracy :p I've got a shed found makeshift solution going on atm.

I own a magical box that captures light!
Flickr (external link)

Camerong
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 25, 2013 02:19 |  #5

Check these guys out - I believe they're the online arm of Micheal's:
http://www.discountcam​eras.com.au/ (external link)
Website is a pain to deal with, but good pieces & service.

Is this what you're after?:
http://www.discountcam​eras.com.au …oduct_mobile/48​638?page=2 (external link)

Cheers

Cameron

joeseph
"smells like turd"
11,012 posts
Gallery: 197 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 25, 2013 02:40 |  #6

would a package forwarding service work? (i.e. get stuff sent to a USA address & have them forward it on to Aus?) there seems to be a number of companies doing this.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Gallery: 2123 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 25, 2013 02:55 |  #7

Through this forum, I inadvertantly brought the shipping costs problem to Adorama's attention a good month ago. Ebay was showing a ridiculous shipping charge (approx 3 times that of B&H) for all their items on ebay. The Adorama member here said they would review it, but no change as of yet yet...............it's costing them sales. I bought all my optech stuff (strap/harness/spare loops) from B&H at the shipping charge that you quote.

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus PenF | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll x 2 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro | 14 -150 | 17mm 1.8 | 9mm BCL | Panasonic 12-32 | 25mm 1.7 | Panasonic Leica 8-18 | Panasonic Leica 100-400 | Godox TT685O speedlite

HelenOster
That's me!
4,560 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 25, 2013 03:09 |  #8

malakite wrote in post #16477930 (external link)
FYI ; I live in Australia...

What is the deal with the Intl shipping costs? I'm wanting to get a pair of op/tech mini qd loops. They come in a pack of four and cost $5.95. All good so far. Turns out my only option for shipping would cost me $59.50!

Please email me directly: Helen@adorama.com (external link) and I should be able to get you a USPS quote which will probably be cheaper

HelenOster
That's me!
4,560 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 25, 2013 03:12 |  #9

bidkev wrote in post #16478079 (external link)
Through this forum, I inadvertantly brought the shipping costs problem to Adorama's attention a good month ago. Ebay was showing a ridiculous shipping charge (approx 3 times that of B&H) for all their items on ebay. The Adorama member here said they would review it, but no change as of yet yet...............it's costing them sales. I bought all my optech stuff (strap/harness/spare loops) from B&H at the shipping charge that you quote.

We can review individual eBay transactions only. eBay only allows us to offer one International shipping option via the store front; we have chosen UPS, because as a rule it is more reliable than USPS. Packages can be tracked and it is a lot easier to get damaged or lost packages replaced. However, if you contact the eBay team via the eBay contact button they can do a manual adjustment, but only on a case-by-case basis.

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 25, 2013 03:34 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

HelenOster wrote in post #16478090 (external link)
We can review individual eBay transactions only. eBay only allows us to offer one International shipping option via the store front; we have chosen UPS, because as a rule it is more reliable than UPS. Packages can be tracked and it is a lot easier to get damaged or lost packages replaced. However, if you contact the eBay team via the eBay contact button they can do a manual adjustment, but only on a case-by-case basis.

UPS is more reliable than itself? I assume you mean USPS for the second one. :)

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

HelenOster
That's me!
4,560 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 25, 2013 04:06 |  #11

goldboughtrue wrote in post #16478115 (external link)
UPS is more reliable than itself? I assume you mean USPS for the second one. :)

Yes, indeed..............

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 25, 2013 05:20 |  #12

HelenOster wrote in post #16478088 (external link)
Please email me directly: Helen@adorama.com (external link) and I should be able to get you a USPS quote which will probably be cheaper

I plan on doing this... I got my 300 MK II from them and paid for the higher shipping, I plan on getting a smaller order and will be dealing with her directly for shipping as I live on the Island of Guam... Which is part of the US and has Local USPS services on island.

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

HelenOster
That's me!
4,560 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 25, 2013 05:47 |  #13

OneJZsupra wrote in post #16478189 (external link)
I plan on doing this... I got my 300 MK II from them and paid for the higher shipping, I plan on getting a smaller order and will be dealing with her directly for shipping as I live on the Island of Guam... Which is part of the US and has Local USPS services on island.

Orders need to be $195 or less for USPS shipping to be covered by insurance, but if it's over that $$ value, it can't hurt to email me so we can see if it's possible to work something out to help you.

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 25, 2013 06:57 |  #14

HelenOster wrote in post #16478210 (external link)
Orders need to be $195 or less for USPS shipping to be covered by insurance, but if it's over that $$ value, it can't hurt to email me so we can see if it's possible to work something out to help you.

Sounds like a plan!

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,663 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 25, 2013 08:56 |  #15

It sounds like Helen in typical fashion has stepped up to the plate and done her wonderful job of supplying great customer service.

Having said that, in conjunction with my work, I have had to frequently ship items internationally to a large group of coworkers numbering in excess of 100 people. These people were spread all over the globe!

If I was to reliably ship items, then a certain amount of extra work was assumed to be the case. Reliably might include tracing the item, especially in the case of something of value, although that probably wasn't necessary in the instance of this purchase of $5.95 but certainly should be expected if one buys a $1000 lens. Depending on the country it might amount to something as simple as a customs declaration on the box but sometimes the paperwork was extensive. Very often the specific choice of FedEx, UPS, USPS, DHL, etc. helped as they handled some paperwork but very often one of those companies did well in one country, but the choice of a different company might be lousy in that same country. So the shipper has to be aware of all this, select a shipping method, prepare paperwork, etc. To me it seems that fees for this service should be both expected and reasonable and the fact of the matter is the fees are often not related to the cost of the item.

sponsored links

3,037 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adorama International Shipping
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.