Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Nov 2013 (Monday) 10:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Could my Canon 7D be destroying my CF Cards?

DreamMaker23
604 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 25, 2013 10:35 |  #1

Hello POTN Family!

Okay, something is wrong here...Last week my few months old 16GB Sandisk CF card pooped on me. For some reason it wouldn't be recognized on my computer. I reformatted and Nothing..It recognized it but it's not the same. (Can't be used my the camera)

Put it away since I have another 8GB Sandisk. (Will try to fix it another day)

Yesterday I popped in my 8GB Sandisk into my Camera to take a few pics.
Once I connected the CF Card to the computer to transfer the files it wasn't recognized. Even my images were lost. So I put the card back into the camera and it say No Images on Card.

What the heck is going on?
Did my computer or camera just pooped 2 CF cards?

I'm afraid to try out my third 4GB CF Card.

I tried reformatting from the computer, from the camera, still nothing.
I tried Doing a repair disk on the card and Nothing. Thank Goodness I didn't have no important images on the card since everytime I shoot I tend to pass the images to my computer right away.

I always properly Eject the cards safely, and reformat the cards from the computer or camera.

I'm thinking, the card was okay but once I connected the CF Cards to my computer. Something happened that it ruin it. I mean I've done so, tons of other times. Maybe it could be my card reader?

I hear once your CF cards fail.. There is no need to trying to fix it. They become Trash!(memories)

But why did two CF cards fail right after the other?

So is there something wrong with my Camera(Canon 7D) or Card Reader?

Thanks, Your Bud Chris

sponsored links
mayt444
633 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 25, 2013 10:41 |  #2

That is weird. I have never had a camera eat a card. I would suspect the reader.

Clay
Canon 70D, Canon G12 , Tamron SP 150-600mm Di VC USD, Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM C, Canon 18-55 IS STM, 55-250 IS, Canon 50mm 1.8 II.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,262 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 25, 2013 10:45 |  #3

If you follow things here you will likely have seen some issues about bent pins in the receptacle where the CF card is inserted. Such a receptacle exists at the bottom of the card slot in the camera and also in the reader. Get a very bright light and carefully examine both of these areas for a bent pin, use a magnifying glass if you have one. There are two rows of 25 pins each, about 2 inches in on the camera so examine carefully. Usually the card reader is easier to check since the card is not fully inserted into a slot.

DreamMaker23
THREAD ­ STARTER
604 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 25, 2013 10:47 |  #4

mayt444 wrote in post #16478704 (external link)
That is weird. I have never had a camera eat a card. I would suspect the reader.

Cool thanks...yea I think it could be my reader. Maybe I should invest in somewhat a good brand.

What brand may you consider for a good card reader?

DreamMaker23
THREAD ­ STARTER
604 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 25, 2013 10:47 |  #5

John from PA wrote in post #16478715 (external link)
If you follow things here you will likely have seen some issues about bent pins in the receptacle where the CF card is inserted. Such a rectacle exists at the bottom of the card slot in the camera and also in the reader. Get a very bright light and carefully examine both of these areas for a bent pin.

Will do, Thanks John!

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,402 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 25, 2013 10:52 |  #6

Can you transfer files from the card using the USB cable connected to the camera using the Canon EOS utility, if so then the card would appear to be OK.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 25, 2013 11:06 |  #7

If your looking for a new card reader try this one :http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …45797&is=REG&Q=​&A=details (external link)

Jim
Gear List

DreamMaker23
THREAD ­ STARTER
604 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 25, 2013 11:10 |  #8

artyman wrote in post #16478725 (external link)
Can you transfer files from the card using the USB cable connected to the camera using the Canon EOS utility, if so then the card would appear to be OK.

Ohhhh, will try this once I get home thanks man!

DreamMaker23
THREAD ­ STARTER
604 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 25, 2013 11:11 |  #9

jbrackjr wrote in post #16478755 (external link)
If your looking for a new card reader try this one :http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …45797&is=REG&Q=​&A=details (external link)

This looks legit, Thanks!

sponsored links

1,096 views & 0 likes for this thread
Could my Canon 7D be destroying my CF Cards?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.