Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 13:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D III vs. Nikon D800E Test

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 25, 2013 10:43 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

Add a Sony to the test ..

and let the Camera Logic show if there are any deltas between the sensors.

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

sponsored links
pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 25, 2013 11:04 |  #32

EL_PIC wrote in post #16478707 (external link)
Add a Sony to the test ..

You want to compare the raw output of a Sony sensor in a Sony body compared to a Sony sensor in a Nikon body?

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 25, 2013 11:06 |  #33

David Arbogast wrote in post #16478692 (external link)
It becomes a big deal when a subject's dynamic range is beyond a sensor's capability of capturing. No amount of "getting it right" in camera can help if the sensor falls short of the task. Predictably there is not much interest from wedding/event/portrait photographers for sensors better/increased dynamic range because those subjects are less demanding (from an exposure standpoint) than subjects like landscape and (to a lesser degree) architecture.

Event photographers couldn't give two turds for more DR, but landscape photogaphers would love it. This suggests that landscape photographers may be better served using a Sony sensor based body. Until now, that meant a system-wide switch (Canon to Nikon), but with A7R it means being able to pair all my Canon lenses with the industry's best 35mm FF sensor. Good times. :)

All true, and I believe he knows all this already.. He just wanted to say something "smart" to defend the honor of his camera.

davidc502
Goldmember
3,457 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 25, 2013 11:31 |  #34

Osiriz wrote in post #16478754 (external link)
All true, and I believe he knows all this already.. He just wanted to say something "smart" to defend the honor of his camera.

I agree with David's assesment, but having said that, I don't believe these examples will change any minds, if they already know where they stand.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

Ben ­ Rubinstein
76 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 25, 2013 11:58 |  #35

I did some playing with the imaging resource raws from the A7r, yes it's more noisy at the pixel level at high iso but downrez to 5D3 size and they are identical! Was rather impressed. That and it has far better facial colour and tonality. Problem is I need AF. 50L is my go to lens and I just can't focus it with peaking at f1.2 fast enough to even compare.

w0m
Goldmember
1,109 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 25, 2013 12:00 |  #36

A little curious why the 5d3 file is ~twice the size of the d800e file @ same resolution?

[6D]

Ben ­ Rubinstein
76 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 25, 2013 12:07 |  #37

MattD wrote in post #16478429 (external link)
As someone who shoots landscapes a lot im a little jealous of Nikon.

As a result of this (and im not jumping ship anytime soon) Iv started to shoot 3-7 shots per image, then stack them.

When you do this you get exceptional shadow detail and next to no noise. The indication of vertical banding remains but its a pretty good technique.

Of course in an ideal world Id rather not have todo this, but its not too bad.

If anyone's interested have a look at this....

Full res, 7 image stack (external link)

In the original shot the Buoy was near total black, and raising the blacks looked pretty crap. With stacking multiple images though it cleans itself up very very well.

This was a 7 image stack.

Can you explain what you mean by stacking? Is this HDR or something similar to the Zero Noise software?

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 25, 2013 12:08 |  #38

Ben Rubinstein wrote in post #16478866 (external link)
I did some playing with the imaging resource raws from the A7r, yes it's more noisy at the pixel level at high iso but downrez to 5D3 size and they are identical! Was rather impressed. That and it has far better facial colour and tonality. Problem is I need AF. 50L is my go to lens and I just can't focus it with peaking at f1.2 fast enough to even compare.

You can AF your EF-lenses on the A7R with the metabobes adapter. A bit slower than on a Canon DSLR, but perfectly accurate.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

Ben ­ Rubinstein
76 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 25, 2013 12:14 |  #39

Anyone know if capture one is better with the 5D3 files than Adobe?

Ben ­ Rubinstein
76 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 25, 2013 12:29 |  #40

Ginga wrote in post #16478895 (external link)
You can AF your EF-lenses on the A7R with the metabobes adapter. A bit slower than on a Canon DSLR, but perfectly accurate.

A lot lot slower, certainly not fast enough for people shooting methinks. They compare it to LV focusing which is painfully slow. Would love to be proven wrong.

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 25, 2013 12:31 |  #41

Ben Rubinstein wrote in post #16478945 (external link)
A lot lot slower, certainly not fast enough for people shooting methinks. They compare it to LV focusing which is painfully slow. Would love to be proven wrong.

Since I'm used to shooting people with the 85L II on Canon DSLRs, I'm sure the A7R AF will be "fast" enough for me.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,734 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 25, 2013 12:31 |  #42

Ben Rubinstein wrote in post #16478866 (external link)

The A7R is a great answer for landscape and architecture shooters, but those genres don't really need good (or any) AF functionality. It's also a nice alternative for Leica shooters.

However, anyone who relies on AF is probably better served by sticking with Canon or Nikon. There is no "one size fits all" answer, which is what is so great about all the options at our disposal. :)

There is a native 55mm f/1.8 due out in January. From all I've seen it promises to be an excellent 50ish mm lens: very sharp with a gorgeous bokeh.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

ride5000
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 25, 2013 13:40 |  #43

w0m wrote in post #16478872 (external link)
A little curious why the 5d3 file is ~twice the size of the d800e file @ same resolution?

it could be the noise. that's high frequency data that doesn't compress well.

flickr (external link)

5dc w/ee-s, rokinon 85mm f/1.4, rokinon 35mm f/1.4, rokinon 8mm f/3.5, sigma 24 f/1.8, canon 35-135 f/3.5-4.5, canon 50mm f/1.8, nikkor s-auto 50mm f/1.4, tokina 11-16 f/2.8, 430ex2, pcb e640, oc-3, st-e2, pixel knight tr332, DiCAPac WPS10, b+w 10 stop nd, hoya hd cpl, kenko ext. tubes, brolly, diy softbox, etc.

MattD
944 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 25, 2013 13:57 |  #44

Ben Rubinstein wrote in post #16478891 (external link)
Can you explain what you mean by stacking? Is this HDR or something similar to the Zero Noise software?

Stacking is taking the same shot many times, loading each image into PS as layers (file/scripts/load images into stack) and changing the opacity of each layer to smooth out the noise..

Opacity starting from the bottom layer up - 100% / 50% / 33% / 25% / 25% / 16%

this effectively averages out all the noise in the image until there is very little left, and it retains details.

Here is an example (blown up to 200%)

Basically the section on the right is straight out of the camera, the middle one is the exposure boosted (maybe +3 I cant remember) and the far left is the stacked example.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Flickr (external link).
500PX (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 25, 2013 14:29 |  #45

umphotography wrote in post #16478281 (external link)
How about exposing it properly and not worry about pushing 3 stops in post to see this........Big deal. Get it right in the camera and its not a problem.

Clearly you're not a landscape photographer.

sponsored links

44,903 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D III vs. Nikon D800E Test
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.