Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 22:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 70d v 6d

palad1n
Goldmember
1,823 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013

Nov 25, 2013 11:40 |  #16

i also recommend this thread (prosxcons FF vs crop) :

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1344486

For sports shooting with limited budget, 70D or 7D is better than 6D with higher pixel density at the middle of frame, better reach and much better AF, which is IMHO pretty crucial.

Few pictures from floorball game (lowlight test, AF zone tracking test, ISO 6400)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Floorball game 3 (external link) by palad1ncz (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Floorball game (external link) by palad1ncz (external link), on Flickr

Of course, 6D has decent AF, but trust me, especially during sport events, 19 cross type AF really helps!

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

sponsored links
amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 25, 2013 11:56 |  #17

Been there, done that as a student with limited funds and I would definitely go with the 70D....

The reason is simple. To outfit a full frame camera properly for sports photography, you will have to spend a lot more money on lenses. For example, with 70D you can pretty effectively use a 300/4 IS lens for a lot of sports, which is a quite handholdable lens. Need a bit more reach? Slap on a 1.4X. In order to have the same reach with a FF camera, you'll need to drop around $10K on a 500/4 IS. Plus you'd better plan on another $1000 to $1500 for a solid tripod and gimbal head. So, $1500 for a handholdable tele? Or more than $10,000 for a tele and a tripod to use it on? Your choice. Similarly, you can use a 70-200/2.8 instead of a 300/2.8. Or you can use a 135/2 instead of a 200/2. All in all, if you need teles for your work a crop sensor camera can be a whole lot cheaper than FF. And your lens kit will be a lot lighter and more portable, as well.

The 70D is perfectly capable of making landscape and architecture shots. Sure, eventually you might want a FF camera for those... but if your "nature" photography is wildlife, 70D is a better choice for that, too. Especially smaller critters, birds, etc. Anything that requires telephotos.

So get the 70D now, and start building your lens kit. It's a bonus the 70D leaves you an extra chunk of money to put toward lenses. The lenses you choose are going to make much more of a difference than the camera you choose, anyway.

You might want to minimize the number of "crop only" lenses you get. But also don't shoot yourself in the foot by not getting necessary crop only lenses, such as an ultrawide for those landscape & architecture shots. The Canon 10-22mm is an excellent lens, for example. If eventually you switch completely over to FF, you won't have any trouble selling off any crop only lenses you might get to use now. (Personally I use both formats and I have two ultrawides and a macro lens that are crop only. All the rest of my lenses are FF capable, so can be used on both).

Eventually you might want to complement the crop camera with a FF camera, perhaps for those landscape and architecture shots. Just don't expect to see a whole lot of difference unless you make big prints - really big prints - from your images. There will be little noticeable difference from, say, 16x24" and smaller. You'll really have a hard time telling any difference between images posted online. The FF cameras do tend to be helpful for low light shooting, often can handle one or two stops lower light. Personally I prefer them for portraiture and some macro, too.

But 70D is quite capable and you should start there, putting more toward your lens kit instead of tying all your money up in the camera body.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

erictheengstrom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 25, 2013 13:56 |  #18

amfoto1 wrote in post #16478857 (external link)
Been there, done that as a student with limited funds and I would definitely go with the 70D....

The reason is simple. To outfit a full frame camera properly for sports photography, you will have to spend a lot more money on lenses. For example, with 70D you can pretty effectively use a 300/4 IS lens for a lot of sports, which is a quite handholdable lens. Need a bit more reach? Slap on a 1.4X. In order to have the same reach with a FF camera, you'll need to drop around $10K on a 500/4 IS. Plus you'd better plan on another $1000 to $1500 for a solid tripod and gimbal head. So, $1500 for a handholdable tele? Or more than $10,000 for a tele and a tripod to use it on? Your choice. Similarly, you can use a 70-200/2.8 instead of a 300/2.8. Or you can use a 135/2 instead of a 200/2. All in all, if you need teles for your work a crop sensor camera can be a whole lot cheaper than FF. And your lens kit will be a lot lighter and more portable, as well.

The 70D is perfectly capable of making landscape and architecture shots. Sure, eventually you might want a FF camera for those... but if your "nature" photography is wildlife, 70D is a better choice for that, too. Especially smaller critters, birds, etc. Anything that requires telephotos.

So get the 70D now, and start building your lens kit. It's a bonus the 70D leaves you an extra chunk of money to put toward lenses. The lenses you choose are going to make much more of a difference than the camera you choose, anyway.

You might want to minimize the number of "crop only" lenses you get. But also don't shoot yourself in the foot by not getting necessary crop only lenses, such as an ultrawide for those landscape & architecture shots. The Canon 10-22mm is an excellent lens, for example. If eventually you switch completely over to FF, you won't have any trouble selling off any crop only lenses you might get to use now. (Personally I use both formats and I have two ultrawides and a macro lens that are crop only. All the rest of my lenses are FF capable, so can be used on both).

Eventually you might want to complement the crop camera with a FF camera, perhaps for those landscape and architecture shots. Just don't expect to see a whole lot of difference unless you make big prints - really big prints - from your images. There will be little noticeable difference from, say, 16x24" and smaller. You'll really have a hard time telling any difference between images posted online. The FF cameras do tend to be helpful for low light shooting, often can handle one or two stops lower light. Personally I prefer them for portraiture and some macro, too.

But 70D is quite capable and you should start there, putting more toward your lens kit instead of tying all your money up in the camera body.

Thank you for this reply. I am thinking 70D as well. Now when it comes to lenses should I get the Kit with the 18-135 f/4-5.8 or get body only and use my lenses I have. and then purchase a L lens. What L lens would work on the CF?

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 25, 2013 17:26 |  #19

magoosmc wrote in post #16478440 (external link)
I think that this misconception is addressed here:

Great shots, do you have any examples where your moving subject isn't composed in the center of your frame?

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 25, 2013 17:37 |  #20

tagnal wrote in post #16479685 (external link)
Great shots, do you have any examples where your moving subject isn't composed in the center of your frame?

I think we can all agree that non-centered subject from the 6D is pointless but at the same thought I've read/heard more than once that most sports photographers only use center AF.

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 25, 2013 18:10 |  #21

OuttaCtrl wrote in post #16479702 (external link)
I think we can all agree that non-centered subject from the 6D is pointless but at the same thought I've read/heard more than once that most sports photographers only use center AF.

Yeah, but the OP isn't only concerned with shooting sports. He also mentioned shooting "40% motion photos including wildlife". And since his camera is going to be used in pretty much all situations since he says he shoots pretty much everything, I think examples of non-centered moving subjects are a valid request in this case.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II

erictheengstrom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 25, 2013 21:03 |  #22

tagnal wrote in post #16479782 (external link)
Yeah, but the OP isn't only concerned with shooting sports. He also mentioned shooting "40% motion photos including wildlife". And since his camera is going to be used in pretty much all situations since he says he shoots pretty much everything, I think examples of non-centered moving subjects are a valid request in this case.

Tagnal you are right. and OuttaCtrl you are right though, I only use center AF in football games.

So what do you think Tagnal? Thanks for the help

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 25, 2013 21:11 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

erictheengstrom wrote in post #16480167 (external link)
Tagnal you are right. and OuttaCtrl you are right though, I only use center AF in football games.

So what do you think Tagnal? Thanks for the help

If you use center point 99% of the time you'd be very happy with the 6D.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

erictheengstrom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 25, 2013 21:24 |  #24

kin2son wrote in post #16480181 (external link)
If you use center point 99% of the time you'd be very happy with the 6D.

well that is only if i am doing football and sports which I dont do a lot of compared to my landscape, wildlife, and other photo like that. I would like to use it for both motion and still photos. Center AF is the way I would shoot football with any camera

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 25, 2013 21:38 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

erictheengstrom wrote in post #16480201 (external link)
well that is only if i am doing football and sports which I dont do a lot of compared to my landscape, wildlife, and other photo like that. I would like to use it for both motion and still photos. Center AF is the way I would shoot football with any camera

If you shoot actions with center AF, then I'm sure you'll manage with static subject.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 25, 2013 23:36 |  #26

Well, I'm biased against anything with only one cross type AF point. I often shoot moving subjects in low light and 95% of everything I shoot, I never use the center point. I had a horrible experience one time when I was with a crew in SF at night and the 5D2 they were using wasn't working with the mic system and had to relinquish my 5D3 for them to record the commercial with. They gave me the 5D2 to shoot the stills with and the outer points couldn't lock onto anything.

That being said... in other threads, some, or at least one person swears that he has absolutely no issues tracking moving subjects in low light with the 6D's outer points and that they are in fact way better than the ones in the 5D2. Wonder if we can get someone here who has a 50D/60D and a 6D to do a comparison on how well the outer points perform on moving subjects in low light.

Personally, if I needed a "do everything" camera, I would go with the 70D. Especially if you don't have your lens collection built out yet.

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
21,724 posts
Gallery: 1956 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 26, 2013 05:56 |  #27

Magoosmc, just wanted to thank you for allowing EXIF data to be seen on the awesome race pics!

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
21,724 posts
Gallery: 1956 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 26, 2013 06:00 |  #28

Help a newbie....OK, I jumped into the Canon world not very long ago and have several (probably too many Canon bodies). Concerning autofocus it seems that it all boils down to the center focus point, even if using the 5Diii in AI servo I think you're supposed to have autofocus begin with the center point....and I've seen many excellent BIF/sport action shots capture with the 6D.
My point/question---is it not really on the shoulders of the photographer and his/her skill with that center point and getting it on target?

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 26, 2013 06:25 |  #29

For university newspaper, this is a layup decision: 70D.

Considering the benefits the 6D provides over the 70D (IQ, low light)
and the benefits the 70D provides over the 6D (everything else, e.g., price, speed, AF, size...)
and that the camera will be used to create images for a university newspaper where, presumably he will never need anything larger than (about) and 8x10 and print quality is (typically) pretty poor (i.e., the IQ advantage the 6D offers will be lost in the low quality printed output anyway, the IQ of the 70D far exceeds the capabilities of newspaper print or the downsized images made for online viewing).. To me this seems like an easy decision in favor of the 70D.

The 70D will be much better for sports. Considering the excellent and inexpensive wide angles available for crops, I even believe it will be better for the group shots in small rooms that the school paper shooter inevitably need to shoot.

The only real advantage the 6D has (for a university newspaper application) is low-light. But, for much of that, a flash will fill the gap. And where a flash won't fill the gap (e.g., basketball, indoor sports) the 70D is the better choice anyway, because of its AF. So with the 6D, you pay a premium for IQ, which you won't be able to take advantage of anyway....

If you plan to contribute to the yearbook too, where print quality is higher, you might be able to make a case for the 6D, but even there, I'd probably go with the 70D. Even in the yearbook, you won't be doing any large prints; the 70D IQ is more than adequate.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

Hermelin
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 26, 2013 06:38 |  #30

erictheengstrom wrote in post #16477754 (external link)
Hey,
I have look at multiple forums and specs comparisons, but I am still stuck on whether I should get the 6D or 70D. I would love to have a FF but the 70d might have more to offer for my needs. I am just stuck and need some opinions.

So I shoot basically everything. I work for my university's school newspaper making me cover everything from portraits to sports.

Landscape/architecture​, nature, and abstract photography is my cup of tea but i have been doing more with sports and motion so idk how the 6d would do.

If i basically taking 60% landscape, wildlife and photos with no motion and 40% motion photos including wildlife WHICH one should I go with.

PS: I would need to upgrade my glass for the 6d (something for me to put into consideration)

Thanks for your help...just need a new toy

I asked the same question a cpl of weeks ago. https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=16442478#po​st16442478

I went with the 70D.

Faster focus, less IQ (only noticeably in low light) > Slower focus, better IQ.

Fujifilm X100V

sponsored links

5,935 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 70d v 6d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.