Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 Nov 2013 (Monday) 15:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Building a small lighting kit- advice please

Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 25, 2013 15:20 |  #1

I have the 5DMKIII (and 7D) plus a Canon Speedlight 580 EX II.
I want to expand the gear because I am now interested in family group portraiture and office business group work.
My plan is to stick with speedlights rather than strobes (unless you tell me otherwise). My initial question is do I increase my lighting sources by buying another Canon Speedlight (expensive) or can I buy one of the less expensive,Yongnuo makes. Also, will the 5D remotely fire the 580 EXII and will that in turn remotely fire a Yonguno as a slave? Will a total of 2 speed lights cover most situations that I am likely to meet up with?
Once i have the answer to that puzzle, I will think about umbrellas versus soft boxes. I am thing of portability!
Any help will be appreciated

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

sponsored links
P_Elting
244 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 25, 2013 15:28 |  #2

If you don't mind manual control this setup looks pretty good.

YN 560 III w/ built in trigger.
http://www.amazon.com …r=8-1&keywords=yn+560+iii (external link)

Trigger to fire YN 560 III.
http://www.amazon.com …A15W/ref=pd_bxg​y_p_text_y (external link)

Patrick
6D - Σ 35 ART - 135 F2L - 70-200 F4L
Flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,155 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 25, 2013 15:31 |  #3

For family groups you want at least two speedlites off the camera where they can do you some good. Since manual flash will work for you there is no reason not to consider something inexpensive like the YN460 to serve as the second flash. You will still need a method of triggering the flashes. You could use the 580 on the camera to trigger the optical slave in the YN, but that leaves you with the flash on the camera which is where it can often do the least good. One option would be to get a set of good manual triggers like the YN603 (you would need a total of 3 transceivers) to trigger each flash via trigger. You could skimp and let the optical slave of the YN fire from the 580 but the extra transceiver is cheap enough you might as well have one. If you want to retain ETTL it gets a bit more pricey. You can still buy a less expensive YN flash capable of ETTL, but you will need the more expensive YN622 triggers to trigger the 580 and your new flash (3 transceivers again).

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 25, 2013 15:32 as a reply to  @ P_Elting's post |  #4

Thanks P_Elting. I am happy to use Manual setting.
Does your reply indicate that the Yongnuo requires a trigger and cannot simply work as a slave to the Cannon 580 EX Mk II

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,155 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 25, 2013 15:34 |  #5

Plumtreelad wrote in post #16479410 (external link)
Does your reply indicate that the Yongnuo requires a trigger and cannot simply work as a slave to the Cannon 580 EX Mk II

As far as I know all the YN manual flashes have a built in optical slave that fires either on first flash or a second setting that ignores the first flash. But to make use of that your 580 would need to be in the hotshoe if you arent using triggers. You really dont want to have half of your light sources tied to your hotshoe.

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 25, 2013 15:39 |  #6

gonzogolf wrote in post #16479414 (external link)
As far as I know all the YN manual flashes have a built in optical slave that fires either on first flash or a second setting that ignores the first flash. But to make use of that your 580 would need to be in the hotshoe if you arent using triggers. You really dont want to have half of your light sources tied to your hotshoe.

Thanks for that.
Yes, I want both light sources off camera. Thanks for the guidance.
Next, just umbrellas or do I need soft boxes?

flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,155 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 25, 2013 15:45 |  #7

Plumtreelad wrote in post #16479429 (external link)
Thanks for that.
Yes, I want both light sources off camera. Thanks for the guidance.
Next, just umbrellas or do I need soft boxes?

You can do a lot with umbrellas, and they are a lot cheaper to get larger (which equates to softer) light sources than softboxes. BUt there is a bit of a compromise. I'm sure you can find a UK source, but here is a link to an affordable option. It should be noted that these are not the greatest build quality item, they work nicely but at the price they can be pretty easily replaced.

http://www.amazon.com …keywords=umbrel​la+softbox (external link)

P_Elting
244 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 25, 2013 16:02 |  #8

Plumtreelad wrote in post #16479410 (external link)

It does have an optical slave. With the RF603 set you could use one in your hotshoe and the other with your existing flash. The nice thing about the YN560 III is that you could get one now and then add more later without having to buy more triggers since they come built in. Plus, the RF603 can also serve as a shutter release. For the price of the YN stuff it's hard to go wrong.

Patrick
6D - Σ 35 ART - 135 F2L - 70-200 F4L
Flickr (external link)

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 25, 2013 16:53 as a reply to  @ P_Elting's post |  #9

Speedlights are great most of the time; since I have added battery powered strobes into the mix for my outdoor shots a world of possibilities has opened up that I never really understood. I knew it existed as I have seen these unbelievable photo's taken during mid-day sunlight. "now I see the light"

Buy once, buy smart: If I had it to do over again right now, I would grab a couple of Cheetah 360 / Gordox AD 360 and a new V850 or two for backlights, fill, ect.

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 25, 2013 17:09 |  #10

Rocky Rhode wrote in post #16479609 (external link)
Speedlights are great most of the time; since I have added battery powered strobes into the mix for my outdoor shots a world of possibilities has opened up that I never really understood. I knew it existed as I have seen these unbelievable photo's taken during mid-day sunlight. "now I see the light"

Buy once, buy smart: If I had it to do over again right now, I would grab a couple of Cheetah 360 / Gordox AD 360 and a new V850 or two for backlights, fill, ect.

Just when I was convincing myself that speed lights would do the trick along you come with the firm recommendation to go for the Softbox. However, I am not sure I need that sophistication at this stage. If I buy good stands etc, I assume that I can transfer from relatively inexpensive umbrellas to softbox without having "burned" a lot of money.

flickr (external link)

koolcreation
648 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 25, 2013 17:50 |  #11

On Amazon I purchased a kit that included stand,bracket, and 3 umbrellas. It was pretty cheap around 30-50 Dollars.

It's not the best quality but it helped me when I wanted to get my speed lights off the camera and play around with lighting and getting my speedlight off the camera.

5DMKII | 50mm 1.4 | 24-105 f/4 | Speedlights - Strobes |
Flickr (external link)
Instagram @KoolCreationPhoto (external link)

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,379 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 25, 2013 18:08 |  #12

I had the same desire that you do a while ago. This is what I did.

I already had a 580EXII. The Canon flash can be the master but it has to be either on the camera or at least on a long hotshot extension cable to talk with the camera. That could be a solution if you don't mind the cable.

I purchased a Yongnuo YN565EX, which is a low cost copy of my 580 flash. It has the same settings and more or less the same controls so you don't need to remember two ways to operate. You can also use it as a backup to your canon flash with full ETTL functionality. It does not have high speed sync and it can not be used as a master flash but for 95% of what I do it is fine and it only costs $100 USD.

I then got two PixelKing Receivers, and one transmitter the PixelKings support ETTL mode and remote manual control of the flashes.

Two stands, two white, shoot through umbrellas and inexpensive mounts. I am very happy with my setup. I usually shoot with the flashes on manual, but, like I said, having the Pixel Kings and smarter flashes lets me control the flashes from the camera. I find this a lot easier than having to go to the flash to adjust them. I usually shoot through the umbrellas, so the flash backs are pointed up and usually over my head which makes them hard to adjust.

That's what I did and that's what I would do again. Actually, I might not spend so much on a Canon flash and just go with two YN565EX units. I think they have a newer model that copies the newer Canon unit that you might want to take a look at.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 26, 2013 01:59 as a reply to  @ bpalermini's post |  #13

Thanks Bob.

I am beginning to think that inexpensive kit is the way to go for me at this early stage. I have not heard of Pixel Kings but will now have a look at them. I had assumed that if I get Yongnuo speed lights I should go with Yongnuo transmitters but you have widened the choice.

flickr (external link)

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 26, 2013 02:12 |  #14

YN-622's and YN-568's IMHO.

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 26, 2013 03:26 |  #15

Aressem wrote in post #16480649 (external link)
YN-622's and YN-568's IMHO.

Ryan, thanks for your view.

I have looked at your web site and in particular, gallery three with people shots. Did you use the Yongnuo in any of these shots? By the way, I also loved the sports shots!

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,772 views & 0 likes for this thread
Building a small lighting kit- advice please
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.