Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 21 Nov 2013 (Thursday) 14:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D with 24-105 for Weddings?

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 25, 2013 15:09 |  #16

I dunno. Honestly I think there are more important things to buy than a 6D. Like a backup body and flashes for each. (it sounds like you have one body only, correct me if I'm wrong). Also I know personally I get a lot more out of a great set of lenses with a good mix of zooms and primes rather than adding a FF body in the bag, which only adds complexity as you are now dealing and buying for two formats instead of one.

I cannot see the 60D NOT being an excellent body to build a wedding kit around. Are you wanting a 6D out of desire or necessity? Because I know a 6D definitely doesn't fall into the 'NEED' category IMO to produce world-class award winning wedding imagery. Its nice, but FAR from necessary. I'd put a nice set if primes higher on the list. Your 60D with great primes will give you amazing DOF options that a 6D and 24-105 can't.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

sponsored links
picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 25, 2013 15:15 |  #17

You gotta remember, shooting at F/4 at ISO 6400 can be shot at F/1.4 at ISO 800. Your 60D will be much cleaner at ISO 800 than a 6D at 6400.

-Lloyd
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,021 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 25, 2013 20:07 |  #18

picturecrazy wrote in post #16479362 (external link)
You gotta remember, shooting at F/4 at ISO 6400 can be shot at F/1.4 at ISO 800. Your 60D will be much cleaner at ISO 800 than a 6D at 6400.

I disagree with this. I don't go above 3200 on my 60D.

Gear
Website (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,939 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 26, 2013 05:41 |  #19

ShotByTom wrote in post #16480027 (external link)
I disagree with this. I don't go above 3200 on my 60D.

Rethink this. Lloyd is one of the more accomplished photographers on POTN. His advice is spot on.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,021 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 26, 2013 11:23 |  #20

umphotography wrote in post #16480791 (external link)
Rethink this. Lloyd is one of the more accomplished photographers on POTN. His advice is spot on.

I have and use both cameras, and I know what the 60D can do. Maybe on paper it should be cleaner, but that has not been my experience with both cameras.

Gear
Website (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 26, 2013 15:36 |  #21

he's not telling you to go above 3200 on your 60D, so i'm not sure what it is you are disagreeing with?

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 26, 2013 15:49 |  #22

bigarchi wrote in post #16482063 (external link)
he's not telling you to go above 3200 on your 60D, so i'm not sure what it is you are disagreeing with?

Hmmm yeah, I'm a little confused too...?

-Lloyd

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 26, 2013 15:59 |  #23

I'm with Mike on the dual card slots. If you can't afford the 5D3/1DX, there is the 1Ds2 or the D7000/7100.

Having said that, I think the 24-105mm is fine when matched with some good primes. Faster glass may give you more light, but it gives you shallower depth of field. Someone here posted a very useful process about settings selection. It went something like "pick your shutter speed to freeze (or blur) your target, pick your f-stop to get your desired DOF, and lastly pick your ISO to get your exposure." Sure, you can sacrifice f-stop or shutter speed to get more light, but i think people overestimate the importance of 'clean' images. I would prefer a noisy image with my subject in focus than a clean image with my subject partially out of focus.

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 26, 2013 16:36 |  #24

I remember a day when you didn't have dual rolls of film in the camera and one wrong bump of a lever and the whole roll would be gone. 2 Bodies is a must, 2 shooters with 2 bodies is much better, but I don't think 2 card slots are an absolute requirement. Though yes shooting the same moment to 4 instead of two cards does take extreme remote possibilities and make them even rarer. I haven't seen a card corrupt and fail in over a decade, though I have seen an SD card get smashed beyond being able to get inserted into a reader, when it wasn't given proper care (CF card in the same situation survived fine though). It's been my experience that you're far more likely to see an Err message or have a battery forget to be charged or finish it's life span or see a camera and lens get dropped and break before seeing a card fail or corrupt. Even then when cards get corrupted, you can typically recover most to all of the data on the card with some patience and software than SanDisk and Lexar tend to ship out with their cards.

The 6D would be an okay option, if you could pair with with your 60D and have 2 bodies going at the same time. However I would caution you from the f4, I understand your reasoning of stops of ISO trading stops of glass, however there is more to an image than noise levels and the f4 DOF particularly with wider focal lengths would make a lot of backgrounds much harder to work with. You have wide covered so you can do group shots with a lens that maxes out at f4 (and probably stop it down some to make sure everyone is in focus), with the gap from 40-70 I personally would go for a fast 50, being required to zoom with my feet, but me much more capable of handling less than ideal backgrounds, and even more capable inside dimly lit churches/temples/etc. that have no flash policies. 24-105 is a good lens, but if you're planning on eventually getting the 24-70, why go through the hassle of replacing it when you could put similar to less expense into something to supplement? I understand you're looking to take advantage of deals in the next week, otherwise I'd recommend0 trying out the new glass before deciding to upgrade (though the 50s do seem to do much better after a full frame transition).

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 26, 2013 20:21 |  #25

It's 2013. We have "reasonably" priced cameras with dual card slots. Pretty simple actually. That's exactly why I have 2 x 5D3 cameras.

That said, I've shot weddings with the 5D2 and D700, neither of which has dual card slots and I was fine. But again, we now have cameras that do have slots...finally...and you don't have to pay $5000+ to get them.

I shoot RAW on CF and Large JPEG on SD as "last resort" backup. I use 16GB SD Cards and they never, ever come out of the camera during a wedding. So if I do lose a CF card, at least I have the large JPEG. If I lose a CF card and someone jacks my cameras, then well, that's what insurance is for eh? :lol:

dcnats
359 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 27, 2013 07:43 |  #26

nicksan wrote in post #16482614 (external link)
If I lose a CF card and someone jacks my cameras, then well, that's what insurance is for eh? :lol:

I wonder what is more likely, having a CF card go down or having your gear (including cards) get stolen? I've never had either of these things happen but I know people that have fallen victim to both. I would think that the bad card is more likely but its just a guess.

As a side note, something I'm always afraid of is driving to the venue. I work with another shooter and we always drive together. Its always a fear in the back of my mind that if we have an accident we risk the possibility that neither of us make it to the wedding. I've made the suggestion that we should drive separately for that reason but he always tells me I'm being crazy.

1513 Photo (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 29, 2013 00:32 |  #27

dcnats wrote in post #16483471 (external link)
As a side note, something I'm always afraid of is driving to the venue. I work with another shooter and we always drive together. Its always a fear in the back of my mind that if we have an accident we risk the possibility that neither of us make it to the wedding. I've made the suggestion that we should drive separately for that reason but he always tells me I'm being crazy.

If I had an accident on the way to the wedding I'd be more concerned about myself being okay first.

Peter

samplestars
67 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 19, 2014 08:27 |  #28

Necrobump to make 2 points.

Around May, I lost dozens of wedding formal shots when the Sandisk Class 10 SD card in my 6d died, rather suddenly, while still in the camera. Two data recovery labs were unable to recover anything. The couple accepted a refund, but the stress was immense.

I've since sold the 6d and upgraded to a 5d3. I loved the 6d, but I learned the hard way that it is risky to rely on a single SD card for important jobs. Dual cards in the 5d3 means one less thing to worry about.

My backup body is a 60d, and that will soon be upgraded to a 5d2 rather than a 6d because I'm quite certain CF is much more reliable, and more recoverable, than SD, especially newer SD cards with monolithic chip designs (NAND with integrated controllers)

Regarding the 24-105, I love that lens. I personally think the pros outweigh the cons in most wedding situations.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 20, 2014 14:46 |  #29

Now that you have taken culpability for the necrobump I can safely follow up on your anecdotal point with a question: were you verifying your images were writing to the card (e.g. chimping, reviewing) before the card suddenly died ?

samplestars wrote in post #17165022 (external link)
Necrobump to make 2 points.

Around May, I lost dozens of wedding formal shots when the Sandisk Class 10 SD card in my 6d died, rather suddenly, while still in the camera. Two data recovery labs were unable to recover anything. The couple accepted a refund, but the stress was immense.

I've since sold the 6d and upgraded to a 5d3. I loved the 6d, but I learned the hard way that it is risky to rely on a single SD card for important jobs. Dual cards in the 5d3 means one less thing to worry about.

My backup body is a 60d, and that will soon be upgraded to a 5d2 rather than a 6d because I'm quite certain CF is much more reliable, and more recoverable, than SD, especially newer SD cards with monolithic chip designs (NAND with integrated controllers)

Regarding the 24-105, I love that lens. I personally think the pros outweigh the cons in most wedding situations.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

sponsored links

14,637 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D with 24-105 for Weddings?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.