Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 11 Nov 2013 (Monday) 20:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

100 Strangers #1

RMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 13, 2013 18:56 |  #16

Funnily enough, i was thinking about doing it all in b&w at one point. Maybe i will stick to that, thx!! :)

I just love the lovely soft pastel blobs of colours in the bokeh that the 85L can produce :)

Then again, if someone catches my eye because they have pink hair......

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

sponsored links
xarik
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 13, 2013 19:16 |  #17

I like it in B+W too. I would just go at it one by one. A young lady won't look as defined as an older gentleman in B+W lol

Bodies: Canon 5D3 - Canon 1D4
Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake
Extras: 2 Neewer TT520 Speedlites - Manfrotto 3021BPRO and ballhead

Check out my Flickr (external link)!

RMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 13, 2013 19:18 |  #18

Yeah, there is that; women don't necessarily want to have interesting texture lol

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,486 posts
Gallery: 629 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 26, 2013 15:34 |  #19

Great shots and nice one for going back to the first guy with food etc. out of curiosity what do you say when you approach a stranger for this purpose? I've often wondered what people say in the 100 stranger projects , like is it a set script you stick to at first?

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

RMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 26, 2013 15:44 |  #20

Pretty much -- something along the lines of "Hi there, sorry to bother you but I'd love to take your picture for a photography project I'm working on".

Or if there's something specific that caught your eye then "Hi there, sorry to bother you but I really like your hat/scarff/etc and I'd love to take your picture for a photography project I'm working on"

Some say "YES!" straight away (like #10 did). Some ask what the project is, which leads to a conversation about it and then they say yes. Some say no straight away and that's fine.

tbh, I don't think it really matters what you say, but having an idea of what your going to say before you say it helps with the self confidence.

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,486 posts
Gallery: 629 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 26, 2013 15:46 |  #21

Scary! But thanks for the info. May try it one day

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

RMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 26, 2013 15:49 |  #22

It is terrifying, but each person you ask it gets a little easier,

But it's not like it just becomes no issue after the first couple. I've done 10 and I'm still seeing people I'd like to ask, but wimping out -- I'm in a rush / they look in a rush / they don't look quite right / the background here isn't right / I have the wrong lens with me today; any number of little justifications you give yourself, but really, it's just hard to work up the confidence in the tiny window of oportunity you have as you pass someone on the steet.

Most of the people I've asked i've walked past 2 or 3 times before I've worked up the courage. Everyone that has said yes (10/12 people I've asked) has been reasonably enthusiastic though. It's starting to dawn on me that most people are actually happy to be asked.

hleidich
40 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 26, 2013 16:39 |  #23

didn't read all the posts so I may be repeating...I really like the picture and can see why the beard caught your attention...I would like to see a bit more light in his eyes to really make this really nice picture even better. I think your 100 stranger idea is a good one and have to believe it will improve your picture taking and self confidence...keep posting

RMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 26, 2013 16:43 |  #24

Thanks! I did; there's a stranger #10 somewhere on here :)

sponsored links

2,580 views & 0 likes for this thread
100 Strangers #1
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.