Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Aug 2013 (Sunday) 16:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How much debt are you in because of photography?

reneefk
217 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 30, 2013 00:49 |  #136

I got an Amazon card, was only going to buy a lens and pay it off. That was roughly a year and a half ago, the card is now maxed out. Not even with photography stuff. There have been a few emergencies (car problems, medical, etc.) I wish I had never got that card though.

sponsored links
chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,201 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 22, 2013 19:23 |  #137

I just took out a five figure loan to a buy a camera.

I look at it this way. I'm going to shoot a larger format than 35mm. I can either buy a film camera inexpensively and pay for film and developing, or make a payment to shoot digital. The payment for my Phase is the equivalent of buying and processing 10 rolls of film a month. So, 150 frames vs as many as I want.

https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFoto (external link)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 22, 2013 20:00 |  #138

no debt, certainly not for toys. Only one, the mortgage.

I sue credit card for just about anything I buy, hardly ever carry cash, but always pay it off. Easier than cash, and I get airline miles. 2nd time we fly to Europe for free soon, 4 tickets.

I use two cards, one for about everything, one for my fun stuff. Easy accounting, done for free by the banks.

I'd never buy gear on credit unless it's my business.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Bilderknipser
889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2010

Nov 22, 2013 20:06 as a reply to  @ chris_holtmeier's post |  #139

That's a nice set-up Chris, I love the Phase One 645, I use it at school for studio shots mostly with a 120 macro (P30 back). Happy shooting!

Carmen
Mom, Veteran, Student
Gear List

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 22, 2013 20:32 |  #140

Zero debt for me. I put everything I can on a credit card for points, and then pay in full every month. Best way to go!

Before I was in a position to do this, I simply worked extra hours or saved even harder if I wanted a new toy. Without a doubt, this led to where I'm at financially today.

Bryan

My Gear List

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 22, 2013 21:39 |  #141

I'm the same as others have posted, no debt and put everything on a credit card that gives me reward points, and I pay it off in full every month. They HATE people like us! ;)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Chief_10Beers
Didn't get his vaccinations . . .
487 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 23, 2013 20:21 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #142

No Credit Cards= No debt for me. If I want/need something bad enough, I'll save for it...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,310 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 24, 2013 07:28 |  #143

Not a cent of debt here. Only a fool buys things he cannot afford.

Website (external link) |

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,532 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 25, 2013 09:31 |  #144

Zero Debt, but I have a bunch of gear. The wife and I decided on a debt free lifestyle after we payed off our mortgage 10 years ago. I find myself doing a combination of saving cash and selling unused gear to get a more current lens or body.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

Dinzdale40
253 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 25, 2013 10:20 |  #145

all i have debt wise is the mortgage on my house. i'm working on paying off the house but i'm not in a particular hurry. i'm hoping to make that a 10 year goal. i use cc's everyday but i pay them all off every month.

if i was in the business of photography and was doing well with it, i'd consider a loan for medium format or some other large expenditure that would help me make money. i don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as it will increase your profit enough to at least cover the interest of the loan and depreciation of the gear.

-Daniel

5DMk3

RunAmok
97 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 27, 2013 06:12 |  #146

Just the cost of my wife's xmas gift, the Canon 100/2.8 macro that's in the mail :)

Canon 7D + grip | EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS | EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS | EF 400 f/5.6L
flickr (external link)

Keith_D
306 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 27, 2013 07:25 |  #147

Only debt I have is my student loan and a credit card bill that will be payed down in two months. It is hard living in another country for a year and then return to your home country and have to basically start over again.

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
14,315 posts
Gallery: 672 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 27, 2013 07:46 |  #148

In the past ive went down the road of buying lenses etc on credit but these days if I cant pay for it up front I dont buy it. Also with it being a hobby if I need the cash for more important matters the lenses go (Thats why I only have 2 at the moment). I then build it back up as and when I can.

α7R III | α9 II | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
16-35GM | 24GM | 35GM | 85GM | Zeiss Loxia 21 | Zeiss CY 35-70

Magnus3D
Goldmember
1,565 posts
Gallery: 381 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 27, 2013 12:30 |  #149

I'm 500 euro in debt now because i spent all my pennies on a Fujifilm X100S camera with accessories. However i can happily live on water and breadcrums for six months. :)

/ Magnus

| Lots of cheap camera gear |

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 27, 2013 12:52 |  #150

I have a few grand on a business card that I will either pay off before the 0% deal is up or transfer it to another 0% card. Its a mix of stuff from this year, trips, materials, printing miscellaneous stuff...

sponsored links

17,684 views & 0 likes for this thread
How much debt are you in because of photography?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.