Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 07:41
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "5D (Mk 1) or Compact"
5D + 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 II
37.5%
Top level Compact
62.5%

8 voters, 8 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D (Mk I) or Compact for work in Germany

NemethR
874 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 27, 2013 07:41 |  #1

Hi guys,

I am currently in a big dilemma.

I plan to go to Germany for 10 weeks, to work. (in 10 weeks I get the same amount of money in Germany, as in a year in my country).

The dilemma is:
I do not want to carry the 5D Mk II, and the expensive equipment with me, as I do not really have an option to carry it with me every day, and do not wish to leave it in the Sleeping quarters. (You can never know).

I was thinking:
a.) Should I buy a top level Compact
b.) Should I buy a used 5D (Mk 1), and an EF 28-105 lens?
http://kenrockwell.com​/canon/lenses/28-105mm.htm (external link)

I am really curious what you guys would do in my case.
So, please feel free to wote, and to comment :)

Roland | Amateur Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8G ED

sponsored links
Dave ­ Jenkins
608 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 27, 2013 08:58 |  #2

You will certainly get better image quality with the 5D and 28-105, however it will be larger and heavier to keep with you at all times as you plan.

Since you're planning to buy something in any case, why not get an Olympus E-PL1 or E-PL2 with the kit lens? They are super cheap, and the image quality is far better than any small-sensor compact. Maybe the best of both worlds?

Dave Jenkins
<'}}}}><
My blog: http://alifeinphotogra​phy.blogspot.com (external link)
My newest book: Backroads and Byways of Georgia
Travel and People: www.davidbjenkins.com (external link)
My award winning book: Rock City Barns: A Passing Era.

fishingjts
984 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 27, 2013 09:03 |  #3

I picked up a G16 a couple weeks ago and amazed with the picture quality...

1)

IMAGE: http://www.johnnystacks.com/gallery/d/27677-1/kylee2.jpg

2)

IMAGE: http://www.johnnystacks.com/gallery/d/27694-1/IMG_0116_edited-1.jpg

3) ISO 3200

IMAGE: http://www.johnnystacks.com/gallery/d/27681-1/house.jpg

5D Mark II Gripped | 24-105L | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | 430EX | G16

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 27, 2013 09:05 |  #4

When you get there and know the setting, buy what you think will be best. (gotta spend all that extra money...)

JIM

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 27, 2013 09:19 |  #5

Throw in a nifty 50 and I'll say option B all the way. (even a 50 1.4 if you're willing to risk it).

But before you go buying new gear, do some research into insuring the gear you're most familiar with now, as a limited time engagement the cost may be equivocal or less, and you may be happier with the results when you're done. (Make sure it covers overseas and the situations you will be in, though I imagine Germany should be easier to get coverage for than some other parts of the world). With a good insurance company, it could remove the worry if you know the gear getting stolen could be replaced in under a week (or you could order it with the influx of funds and be reimbursed before you miss it); and make sure you backup to an external HD and to an online storage group so that your images aren't lost should anything happen.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

NemethR
THREAD ­ STARTER
874 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 27, 2013 10:46 |  #6

fishingjts wrote in post #16483688 (external link)
I picked up a G16 a couple weeks ago and amazed with the picture quality...

1)

QUOTED IMAGE

2)

QUOTED IMAGE

3) ISO 3200

QUOTED IMAGE

Really impressive!
I last user a compact camera around 5-6 years ago, and i see they clearly have evolved :)

NemethR
THREAD ­ STARTER
874 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 27, 2013 10:49 |  #7

Motor On wrote in post #16483722 (external link)
Throw in a nifty 50 and I'll say option B all the way. (even a 50 1.4 if you're willing to risk it).

But before you go buying new gear, do some research into insuring the gear you're most familiar with now, as a limited time engagement the cost may be equivocal or less, and you may be happier with the results when you're done. (Make sure it covers overseas and the situations you will be in, though I imagine Germany should be easier to get coverage for than some other parts of the world). With a good insurance company, it could remove the worry if you know the gear getting stolen could be replaced in under a week (or you could order it with the influx of funds and be reimbursed before you miss it); and make sure you backup to an external HD and to an online storage group so that your images aren't lost should anything happen.

Not a bad idea, but sadly I will really not have time to REALLY make pictures, only maybe Sundays.
So the camera would only be to have some Memories, something to share with the family when I am home again.
The 5D (classic) is maybe also a good choise for a backup camera, as all lenses that I have work with it. But its more expensive then a brand new compact...

Always these choices, they are so hard to make...

NemethR
THREAD ­ STARTER
874 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 27, 2013 10:51 |  #8

Narwhal wrote in post #16483695 (external link)
When you get there and know the setting, buy what you think will be best. (gotta spend all that extra money...)

Sadly all that money is spent... Its gonna be an Audi A4 Quattro :)
In 2015 maybe a 5D3 :)

NemethR
THREAD ­ STARTER
874 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 27, 2013 10:55 |  #9

Dave Jenkins wrote in post #16483664 (external link)
You will certainly get better image quality with the 5D and 28-105, however it will be larger and heavier to keep with you at all times as you plan.

Since you're planning to buy something in any case, why not get an Olympus E-PL1 or E-PL2 with the kit lens? They are super cheap, and the image quality is far better than any small-sensor compact. Maybe the best of both worlds?

10 years ago (2003) I had an Olympus C760 UZ.
It was a superzom camera with 3MP.

Actually I think it was the BEST Compace I owned, but to be honest since 2007 I am with Canon, and I was never really disappointed. Its a really nice idea, and have not tought about it really...
But now, that you mention it, its even harder... :D
Till now I only had 2 things to choose from, now i have 3.

nordlysBW
364 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 29, 2013 11:50 as a reply to  @ NemethR's post |  #10

I'd forget about the insurance option for that country. It would cost you about 10% of the price of the gear on a year-long contract and the exclusion clauses are constraining enough to raise doubts about the insurance cover you'd actually get in REAL life.

sponsored links

1,508 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D (Mk I) or Compact for work in Germany
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.