Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 Nov 2013 (Sunday) 17:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe $9.99 offer - High priced renewal?

n1as
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 24, 2013 17:22 |  #1

This is what their terms said:

The price is valid for a full 12 months. After that, we'll renew your contract automatically, at the then-current price of the offering, unless you cancel. The price is subject to change, but we will always notify you beforehand.

Setting this black friday sale aside, the normal price for the package is $49.99. I'm fully expecting to be auto-upgraded from $9.99 to $49.99. Whoo Hoo! (sarcasim!)

So, I figure this is a 1 year trial to play with CS and I'll be canceling and returning to purchased Lightroom when the introductory offer (my words) is up.

I suppose the "then current price" could be $9.99 or $11.99, but I doubt it!

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

sponsored links
SJC ­ from ­ VT
Cream of the Crop
7,051 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 24, 2013 17:39 |  #2

From Scott Kelby's Blog....http://scottkelby.com …-but-only-for-a-few-days/ (external link)
An interesting read, I thought!

*Sandy* "If we all had positive attitudes...we could change the world"
7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,311 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 24, 2013 18:16 |  #3

I keep reading comments about the price going up after a year but no one has any evidence that it will. Adobe says they have no plans to do so, but they make no promises. So you'll be paying $9.99/month for a year. Do you really think Adobe will do something drastic to lose their customer base by raising prices to a ridiculous level? This is typical business where volume means money. Losing half their customers if they raise prices won't help them much. If they raise prices a little, like Kelby says, so what? It'll have to be a substantial increase before it really makes a difference. I just don't see them doing that.

Mark J.
Gear

n1as
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 24, 2013 19:43 |  #4

M_Six wrote in post #16477282 (external link)
I keep reading comments about the price going up after a year but no one has any evidence that it will. Adobe says they have no plans to do so, but they make no promises. So you'll be paying $9.99/month for a year. Do you really think Adobe will do something drastic to lose their customer base by raising prices to a ridiculous level? This is typical business where volume means money. Losing half their customers if they raise prices won't help them much. If they raise prices a little, like Kelby says, so what? It'll have to be a substantial increase before it really makes a difference. I just don't see them doing that.

What is crazy to me is the current $9.99 offer. $30 to $50 per month sounds about right for $700 worth of SW. $10 per month sure feels to me like a loss-leader.

Where does Adobe say they have no plans to raise the price? Where do they say this current offer is not a limited-time special price? I'd love to know.

- Keith

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,311 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 24, 2013 20:39 |  #5

Like I said, I haven't seen any official Adobe message, just stuff like this post where Sean from The Digital Picture spoke with their Adobe rep.

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/showthread​.php?t=7528 (external link)

Also, Scott Kelby said the same thing on his blog.

Adobe is figuring people who bought their older versions when they came out shelled out big bucks every 4 years or so, so spreading out the costs and pushing out updates online sort of evens things out. Easier for users to afford, easier for Adobe to update, and less piracy.

Mark J.
Gear

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 24, 2013 22:10 |  #6

Hmm...OK...

A month or two ago Adobe released a "Photographers' Bundle", the standard Photoshop editor and Lightroom, for $9.99/month. This was not the same as the "full" Photoshop Suite (with full graphics and video editing) which was priced at $49.99/month.

So, either the OP is mistaken about the "Black Friday" deal, or there is in fact a "deal" lowering the $49.99 price temporarily to $9.99.

Whichever, what's the problem?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,899 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 24, 2013 23:13 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #7

Tony, it's the same $9.99 bundle only now you don't need to be an existing owner of CS3 or higher. In fact, you can be a first time buyer and still get this deal until Dec.2nd.

So, it's the pre requisite that's changed is all.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 24, 2013 23:31 |  #8

navydoc wrote in post #16477852 (external link)
Tony, it's the same $9.99 bundle only now you don't need to be an existing owner of CS3 or higher. In fact, you can be a first time buyer and still get this deal until Dec.2nd.

So, it's the pre requisite that's changed is all.

For a short period of time anyway...

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 25, 2013 02:33 |  #9

OK, either way it sounds good if you want the "latest and greatest" Adobe software.

Otherwise, well, at this point I've been pretty satisfied with CS5 and LR4.x...:)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,137 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 25, 2013 06:14 |  #10

tonylong wrote in post #16478061 (external link)
at this point I've been pretty satisfied with CS5

Me, too. Powerful software.

I couldn't care less about what Kelby says about Adobe probably not raising their prices after 12 months.

Kelby has derived the majority of his lifetime income from adobe / photoshop one way or another, either directly or indirectly. He is closely associated with them. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a monthly check from them for his unofficial role as Promotional Consultant.

I am fully expecting adobe to whack subscribers upside the head with a sharp increase after their 12 months. It's standard practice among many companies. That's why they're called "promotions." They are intended to attract you and pull you in, in hopes that after a 12 month usage of their product you will continue.

Website (external link) |

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,919 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 25, 2013 08:14 |  #11

I'll be jumping on the 9.99 deal. If they decide to raise the prices after 12 months, that fine. I'll then play my educations discount card (wife is a school teacher and also have 2 kids in school). There are more than one way to win at this game. :)

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 25, 2013 20:35 |  #12

I *HIGHLY* doubt there is *ANYONE* within Adobe that knows what the exact rate will be a year from now. There's probably a select few individuals at a very high level within the organization that have a general idea of whether the intent is to keep the rate as-is, or if they have a general range in mind to increase the rate, such as 10-20%. But knowing the exact rate a year from now? No way.

One thing I can tell you with absolute certainty is anyone you talk to at Adobe - reps you see at expos, customer support individuals, even Kelby - genuinely have absolutely no idea what the rate will be a year from now so it's really pointless to try figure out who knows what because none of them know anything. I work for a very large software company and am familiar with this industry and pricing strategies, and when you're talking about long term pricing strategies at global publicly traded companies, the chances of you personally talking to anyone that truly knows what the price will be a year from now is practically zilch.

My own speculation is I wouldn't be surprised to see it increase anywhere from 0-25%, which equates to an increase of up to $2.50/mo. Going up to $49.99/mo equates to a 500% increase and there's absolutely no chance of that happening, the PR backlash would be very damaging.

Jason
Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L

n1as
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 27, 2013 09:22 |  #13

tonylong wrote in post #16477721 (external link)
Hmm...OK...

A month or two ago Adobe released a "Photographers' Bundle", the standard Photoshop editor and Lightroom, for $9.99/month. This was not the same as the "full" Photoshop Suite (with full graphics and video editing) which was priced at $49.99/month.

Oh, I was unaware of a prior $9.99 bundle. Adobe currently does not show this option on their web page leading me to believe the "normal" price was $49.99. In that case then much of my concern evaporates.

CincyTriGuy wrote in post #16480114 (external link)
I *HIGHLY* doubt there is *ANYONE* within Adobe that knows what the exact rate will be a year from now.

Agreed and that was NOT my original question. The question is whether or not this $9.99 deal is a low cost introductory offer. When it renews at the normal price will it renew at roughly $10 per month, $30 per month, $50 per month? Is $9.99 the normal pricing or some super low introductory offer?

- Keith

chantu
903 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 27, 2013 17:38 |  #14

Clearly the $9.99 is the teaser rate. After Dec 31 prices goes up the $19.99 annual or $29.99 month to month for a the single app plan. The question is after Dec 2014 is the price 9.99, 19.99 or 29.99 or ?? Who knows, probably nobody at the moment and Adobe will decide at some point in the future. If Adobe is smart, they would keep the 9.99 to maintain the loyalty base, but who says Adobe is smart.

http://www.adobe.com …hop/buying-guide.edu.html (external link)

Canon 5D mk3, 7D mk2, 7D, 17-40L, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 70-200mm IS, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 17-50 OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 24-70VC 580ex flash (x3), 550ex, Yonguo 622C triggers, Fuji XE-1, 18-55mm Flickr (external link)Feedbacks of Items Sold/Bought *

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 27, 2013 19:19 |  #15

I'm not jumping on board, but I'm betting if you get in now at the $9.99/mo rate... I doubt it will change for quite some time.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

sponsored links

4,578 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe $9.99 offer - High priced renewal?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.