Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 23 Nov 2013 (Saturday) 16:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The one lens to rule them all

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,856 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Nov 27, 2013 10:24 |  #31

Leica 50 .95 Noctilux
Leica 35 1.4 Summilux FLE.

sponsored links
Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
26,554 posts
Gallery: 1005 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 27, 2013 10:53 |  #32

Phrasikleia wrote in post #16475075 (external link)
I do a lot of backpacking, and I don't think I have ever gone out with a single lens packed. But if weight is that big of an issue for you, then it's going to come down to your style of shooting and your intended output. Do you like wide, expansive shots more than tight, compressed ones? Would a loss in resolution from cropping a wide-angle shot be a problem for your intended uses (i.e. web versus prints)?

My own preference is to have one ultra-wide-angle zoom (the 16-35mm f/2.8L) and one telephoto zoom (the 70-400 f/4L IS). That leaves a pretty good gap in the middle, so sometimes I even bring along the 24-105mm f/4L in addition, but that's only if I don't have much else to carry. Otherwise, I just stitch shots together from the telephoto to get something a bit wider, if I need it (and sometimes I crop from wide shots, but I hate to lose that resolution).

Just visited your link and wow they are awesome landscapes. I just found this thread no means of highjacking it.

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 1Dx Mark I, 7D Mark I & II / EF 600mm f/4L IS USM MK II / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF100 -400 f4.5-5.6L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII.

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 27, 2013 11:05 |  #33

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16483879 (external link)
Leica 50 .95 Noctilux
Leica 35 1.4 Summilux FLE.

For landscapes? There are numerous better m-mount choices at those focal lengths for landscape work.

Jedi5150
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 27, 2013 16:42 |  #34

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #16483843 (external link)
Please start a thread about the old base. Would love to see shots from there.

You know I'm really not much of a photographer, but that is a pretty cool idea. There is a lot of fascinating scenery here. Everywhere you look you can let your mind wander and wonder how different it must have appeared with 1,000's of soldiers and well-maintained lawns and shrubbery. There is also some pretty amazing graffiti, both from when it was an active base and since then. I normally hate graffiti, but it is interesting to note that the modern vandalizers have left the old military murals untouched...there must be some level of respect for another person's "art" even amongst taggers.

Fitness ­ Freak
841 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 27, 2013 18:11 |  #35

I was just checking out this link about Fort Ord, it looks REALLY cool! Is any of this stuff still there, like the buildings, tanks, old machinery, etc.? If so, it looks like you could have a ton of cool stuff to photograph! Also, what is the old base used for now? http://www.printroom.c​om …aviews&gallery_​id=2991295 (external link)

FYI: "Fitness Freak" is also known as "Amber" outside of POTN.
http://fineartamerica.​com/profiles/1-amber-kresge.html (external link)

Jedi5150
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 27, 2013 22:36 |  #36

Fitness Freak wrote in post #16485031 (external link)
I was just checking out this link about Fort Ord, it looks REALLY cool! Is any of this stuff still there, like the buildings, tanks, old machinery, etc.? If so, it looks like you could have a ton of cool stuff to photograph! Also, what is the old base used for now? http://www.printroom.c​om …aviews&gallery_​id=2991295 (external link)

A lot of the buildings are still there, and murals painted on the inside and outside of buildings with Unit logos, etc. Some buildings are still in use, and have been maintained, but most are in various states of dilapidation. They are also from different eras. There are old WWII and earlier 2 story wooden barracks, and newer concrete 3 story ones. Then of course factory/ logistics buildings, etc. On the middle of the base there is still the MOUT training center (Military Operations in Urban Terrain), which is nicknamed "Impossible City". It is a little town that was made specifically for various military, law enforcement and Fed agencies to practice taking over a town, or hostage rescue, etc. It is currently owned by the FBI, and you have to have a legitimate training reason to be there, or you can't get anywhere near it. I was able to go there once and it is a cool place.

The base has been sold off to a number of different places. They opened the old officer's housing up to civilian housing for the city of Marina, which is where I live. The city of Seaside got part, which they built nice civilian homes on. A large chunk of the base is now the new California State University Monterey Bay, and the BLM owns a lot of the open space hills, which are open to horseback riding, hiking, etc. I'm a law enforcement K9 handler and we use a lot of the old barracks and mess-halls for dog training, SWAT training, and EOD/ breaching training. Finally, the military still owns some of it, and has military housing for the students and their families who are attending either the Naval Postgraduate School, or the Defense Language Institute.

That large two story building in a few photos on the site you linked is unfortunately no longer there. It was called "Stilwell Hall", and was the NCO club on the base. When we first moved to the area it was still there, a massive building all by itself on the sand dunes overlooking the bay. I would have loved to see it during it's hey day. Unfortunately transients started living in it and finally they bulldozed the thing, in spite of a lot of historical groups attempts to save it.

Fitness ­ Freak
841 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 27, 2013 22:42 |  #37

Jedi5150 wrote in post #16485550 (external link)
A lot of the buildings are still there, and murals painted on the inside and outside of buildings with Unit logos, etc. Some buildings are still in use, and have been maintained, but most are in various states of dilapidation. They are also from different eras. There are old WWII and earlier 2 story wooden barracks, and newer concrete 3 story ones. Then of course factory/ logistics buildings, etc. On the middle of the base there is still the MOUT training center (Military Operations in Urban Terrain), which is nicknamed "Impossible City". It is a little town that was made specifically for various military, law enforcement and Fed agencies to practice taking over a town, or hostage rescue, etc. It is currently owned by the FBI, and you have to have a legitimate training reason to be there, or you can't get anywhere near it. I was able to go there once and it is a cool place.

The base has been sold off to a number of different places. They opened the old officer's housing up to civilian housing for the city of Marina, which is where I live. The city of Seaside got part, which they built nice civilian homes on. A large chunk of the base is now the new California State University Monterey Bay, and the BLM owns a lot of the open space hills, which are open to horseback riding, hiking, etc. I'm a law enforcement K9 handler and we use a lot of the old barracks and mess-halls for dog training, SWAT training, and EOD/ breaching training. Finally, the military still owns some of it, and has military housing for the students and their families who are attending either the Naval Postgraduate School, or the Defense Language Institute.

Wow!! Sounds like an awesome place to be! I think I could have a blast at that ex-base. Sounds like you've got a pretty cool job too. Where I am, if you're not a local, you're either with the Air Force, Border Patrol, FBI, or Federal Marshalls. So between all that and the local city/state police, sheriff's office, and the county constable, we've got A LOT of law enforcement here. ;-)a

Jedi5150
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 27, 2013 23:00 |  #38

Fitness Freak wrote in post #16485559 (external link)
Wow!! Sounds like an awesome place to be! I think I could have a blast at that ex-base. Sounds like you've got a pretty cool job too. Where I am, if you're not a local, you're either with the Air Force, Border Patrol, FBI, or Federal Marshalls. So between all that and the local city/state police, sheriff's office, and the county constable, we've got A LOT of law enforcement here. ;-)a

We really like it here. It is a decent neighborhood to live in (crime wise), much better than actually in the cities of Marina or Seaside, the weather is moderate (read foggy) year round, and lots to do and see.

It's funny, but I never really considered doing a photo shoot of the place even though I've lived here for a number of years. I can think of a lot of very cool things to get shots of just right off the top of my head. I might have to give it a go.

And you're right, my job is fun. I'm an animal lover, and who else gets to have their dog with them 24/7, 365 days a year, even at work. :D
This photo is used with permission by a great local photojournalist, Tarmo Hanula...he took it of me and my partner, Ari (half Malinois, half German Shepherd), during a track for a guy that led several agencies on a high-speed pursuit which turned into a crash and foot-bail into an orchard. Of course Ari took me to the guy and led to his capture. I'm a proud Papa...Ari has been in the paper many times over the years, including for saving the life of a missing woman who was unconscious up in the mountains.

IMAGE: http://maligator.smugmug.com/Other/Ari/i-mK5f7Zn/0/L/Ari1-L.jpg

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 27, 2013 23:06 |  #39

I ran around with a 17-40 and a 70-200 for quite a while. The hole from 41-69mm is easier to get over than not. I rather have that than start at 24mm as the widest.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

Fitness ­ Freak
841 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 27, 2013 23:07 |  #40

SO. COOL. Yes!! PLEASE, for my sake if nothing else, go out there and photograph your surroundings!! Then post your pictures on here so that I can live vicariously thru you. ;-)a Here's what I have to work...seriously. (FYI, start at the back of the album and work your way forward so you can see the terrain) :-/ https://www.facebook.c​om …94630&type=1&l=​ee458e24fa (external link)

Jedi5150
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 27, 2013 23:31 |  #41

I ran around with a 17-40 and a 70-200 for quite a while. The hole from 41-69mm is easier to get over than not. I rather have that than start at 24mm as the widest.

Thanks for the head's up. I think that's actually my plan now, is those two lenses. Now I've just got to put the plan into action...anyone need a 24-105? :lol:

Fitness Freak wrote in post #16485597 (external link)
SO. COOL. Yes!! PLEASE, for my sake if nothing else, go out there and photograph your surroundings!! Then post your pictures on here so that I can live vicariously thru you. ;-)a Here's what I have to work...seriously. (FYI, start at the back of the album and work your way forward so you can see the terrain) :-/ https://www.facebook.c​om …94630&type=1&l=​ee458e24fa (external link)

:lol: <-----Where is the even bigger laughing smilie face? This one doesn't do it justice. I can't stop laughing. Your commentary is the photos is priceless. I have to admit, when you first told Phrasikleia how bad your scenery is, I assumed there was a bit of exaggeration going on. That looks like a living hell (Sorry, I probably sound really rude...a lot of people hate our fog here). I don't mind the desert at all, in fact I think Nevada is simply gorgeous...but those photos of your area of Texas are just brutal to look at. Keep a positive attitude and you can make it through anything. ;)

OK, I'll get off my lazy butt and take some photos. Give me a week or two (it'll take at least a few days for the new lens to arrive). haha. In the meantime, I'll leave you with a couple photos I took, to help with the scenery woes. The first is from a motorcycle ride I did in Oregon and Washington a month ago:

IMAGE: http://maligator.smugmug.com/Other/PNW-Oct-2013/i-WJ4RqHT/0/XL/Scott%20Lake%20Rower1s-XL.jpg

And this I took of my female Malinois, Vixen, last Christmas, strangely enough less than an hour outside of Los Angeles:
IMAGE: http://maligator.smugmug.com/Other/Christmas-2012/i-pC2v7xV/0/XL/Vixen%20snow%20smiling%20small-XL.jpg

Fitness ­ Freak
841 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 27, 2013 23:45 |  #42

Jedi5150 wrote in post #16485629 (external link)
:lol: <-----Where is the even bigger laughing smilie face? This one doesn't do it justice. I can't stop laughing. Your commentary is the photos is priceless. I have to admit, when you first told Phrasikleia how bad your scenery is, I assumed there was a bit of exaggeration going on. That looks like a living hell (Sorry, I probably sound really rude...a lot of people hate our fog here). I don't mind the desert at all, in fact I think Nevada is simply gorgeous...but those photos of your area of Texas are just brutal to look at. Keep a positive attitude and you can make it through anything. ;)

OK, I'll get off my lazy butt and take some photos. Give me a week or two (it'll take at least a few days for the new lens to arrive). haha. In the meantime, I'll leave you with a couple photos I took, to help with the scenery woes. The first is from a motorcycle ride I did in Oregon and Washington a month ago:
QUOTED IMAGE

And this I took of my female Malinois, Vixen, last Christmas, strangely enough less than an hour outside of Los Angeles:
QUOTED IMAGE

First, these pictures are AWESOME. I SO wanted to be some place with snow-capped mountains, but the Air Force must hate my husband so they sent us here instead. You are correct, no one can truly appreciate how indescribably ugly it is here until they see a few pictures and even then, they can't really grasp it. I have a friend on Facebook who has been following my "adventures" here for the past 17 months and 25 days ;-)a, she thought she was prepared, she thought she'd read it all in my posts...No. She quickly discovered that Del Rio is called "Del Hell" and "Hell Rio" for a very good reason. She was driving here from Florida, she lives in Memphis, and she's traveled all over the US. Here's what I posted on her wall the day she was driving from East Texas to Del Rio. "Okay Connie, I realize that Texas is a huge state so as the hours drag on you'll probably be fighting the urge to constantly ask, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" so let me help you out. When you start thinking, "Wow, this is really ugly", keep going-you aren't "there" yet. When you move on to, "Seriously, this is the ugliest thing I've ever seen".. just keep going, you're not "there" yet. Just when you get to the point when you're thinking, "There is NO. FREAKING. WAY. It can possibly get uglier than this."...just keep on driving west-'cause you still ain't "there" yet. Just when you're sitting there shell-shocked thinking, "Oh H$*@ NO!" and can picture every other landscape photographer on the planet curled up in the fetal position muttering gibberish after hearing the news that they'll be living in Del Rio for the next 3 years...THEN you have arrived. " Her response when she arrived at my house, "Oh my God. You were not s*%@in' me." :-D

So now you understand why I can't wait to see your pictures.

Jedi5150
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 27, 2013 23:55 |  #43

Fitness Freak wrote in post #16485655 (external link)
First, these pictures are AWESOME. I SO wanted to be some place with snow-capped mountains, but the Air Force must hate my husband so they sent us here instead. You are correct, no one can truly appreciate how indescribably ugly it is here until they see a few pictures and even then, they can't really grasp it. I have a friend on Facebook who has been following my "adventures" here for the past 17 months and 25 days ;-)a, she thought she was prepared, she thought she'd read it all in my posts...No. She quickly discovered that Del Rio is called "Del Hell" and "Hell Rio" for a very good reason. She was driving here from Florida, she lives in Memphis, and she's traveled all over the US. Here's what I posted on her wall the day she was driving from East Texas to Del Rio. "Okay Connie, I realize that Texas is a huge state so as the hours drag on you'll probably be fighting the urge to constantly ask, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" so let me help you out. When you start thinking, "Wow, this is really ugly", keep going-you aren't "there" yet. When you move on to, "Seriously, this is the ugliest thing I've ever seen".. just keep going, you're not "there" yet. Just when you get to the point when you're thinking, "There is NO. FREAKING. WAY. It can possibly get uglier than this."...just keep on driving west-'cause you still ain't "there" yet. Just when you're sitting there shell-shocked thinking, "Oh H$*@ NO!" and can picture every other landscape photographer on the planet curled up in the fetal position muttering gibberish after hearing the news that they'll be living in Del Rio for the next 3 years...THEN you have arrived. " Her response when she arrived at my house, "Oh my God. You were not s*%@in' me." :-D

So now you understand why I can't wait to see your pictures.

Hahahahaha! OK, I'm just impressed you haven't given up on landscape photos for the last 17 months and 25 days. I would be heavily into macro photography by now if I were in your shoes. :lol:

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 28, 2013 00:19 |  #44

Fitness Freak wrote in post #16485655 (external link)

So photograph the ugliness.

If it's that ugly, it's a great subject.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Fitness ­ Freak
841 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 28, 2013 11:48 |  #45

Jedi5150 wrote in post #16485667 (external link)
Hahahahaha! OK, I'm just impressed you haven't given up on landscape photos for the last 17 months and 25 days. I would be heavily into macro photography by now if I were in your shoes. :lol:

The 100mm macro is next on my list of lenses. ;-)a

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16485695 (external link)
So photograph the ugliness.

If it's that ugly, it's a great subject.

It's great in theory, but no, it's not a great subject for many reasons. #1. There IS no high ground here, it's absolutely flat. So the link I posted with pictures of the terrain...that's all you're ever going to see, desert scrub brush and prickly pear cactus in every square inch for 50 miles in every direction except Mexico, but military and their families aren't allowed in Mexico at this time. #2. I'm a fine art photographer and NO ONE wants a picture of such ugly landscape hanging on their wall at all, let alone in the form of a huge picture. I would ruin my credibility as a serious photographer if I posted pictures of the landscape outside of what I currently have for sale because anything else would just look like snapshots like anyone could take. I will admit, living here has made me a MUCH better photographer and because of that I will be forever grateful that I ended up here. Unlike most landscape photographers, I can't depend on a beautiful landscape to basically make my pictures for me. I have to work a whole lot harder, I have to be much more creative, I've had to learn other types of photography outside of what I wanted to do, and I have to network everywhere I go because around here you can't get anywhere unless you know the right people. ALL the land is fenced in with no trespassing signs everywhere, and being South West Texas only 3 miles from Mexico, if you trespass, you WILL get shot and because of all the illegal aliens and drugs crossing the border around here...they'll shoot you twice and ask questions later, if you're lucky. Otherwise they could just bury you in the desert and no one would be any wiser. I HAVE taken a lot of pictures of this area; I've basically photographed everything there IS to photograph within 100 mile radius of me in every direction but south. Heck, I've been to Langtry FOUR times JUST to take pictures. I actually went there 3 weeks in a row and I have absolutely no doubt that my truck on the Border Patrol's "watch list" because I had to drive thru their checkpoint each time I went to Langtry and they recognized me every time. I never told them I was a photographer, quite frankly, they probably wouldn't believe me just because the region IS so ugly, but every time you go thru a BP checkpoint they ask you where you're going. Would you like to know WHY going to Langtry 3 weeks in a row would make the BP suspicious? Because Langtry is approximately 60 miles from Del Rio and you won't find another town after Langtry for 50 more miles at least. FYI, the next town is Sanderson, population 800. (Actually, the next town is "Pumpville"which is 12 miles from Langtry. I've been there too, population 8and there really is NOTHING there to photograph) There is absolutely nothing in Sanderson but a service station, a TINY grocery store, and a school. Everyone that lives there are BP agents and their families or the teachers that teach the BP's kids at school. Going back to Langtry, it also has absolutely nothing in it but the TINY little Judge Roy Bean Museum- and I use the term "museum" very loosely, a service station with no gas, and about 7 houses. Do you know how many people actually LIVE in Langtry? Seventeen....that's it. I'll also say that I have had the most amazing and bazaar experiences since moving here-most of which I try to document with a camera because otherwise no one would ever believe me. I've also met the most fascinating people here.

My husband will be retiring from the Air Force next September so I'll probably be moving this time next year. In my remaining year, I have just a few things that I really want to capture with my camera that I haven't been able to do yet.

#1. The lavender and wildflowers of Hill Country. I went twice last year to document them but the first time it rained, was 45 degrees and windy so I never even took my camera out. The second time I actually DO have pictures of but since we've been in a severe drought for 3 years now, the wildflowers were just about non-existent. The pictures from that day can be seen in this album. http://fineartamerica.​com …s&artworkgaller​yid=282982 (external link)
All but the sunflower pictures were taken that day, and to show you that I am photographing ALL that I can, I'll tell about the day I shot those sunflowers. I dropped my kids off at school at 8:00 am, I then drove 2 1/2 hours to Castroville, TX which is just outside of San Antonio which is my closest actual city. From 10:45 until 11:30 I took pictures of the sunflowers which at times required me to climb on top of the luggage rack of my SUV to capture. From 11:45 to 12:15 I was at a restaurant eating lunch, and from 12:15-2:45 I was driving back home. I pulled in to my kids' school parking lot at 2:45 and was inside the building at 2:50 which is exactly when I get there to pick them up at 3:00 pm. Now you should have an understanding of why I can't typically travel more than 150 miles to go shooting-because at a location 150 miles away, I only have approximately 45 minutes to take pictures before I have to haul my butt back to pick up my kids from school.

#2 on my list of things to shoot before I go would be Big Ben NP. That's actually the most important thing on my list and I have a week long trip planned there in May with three other photographers.

#3. Lost Maples SP when the leaves change. The problem is the leaves don't change in this region very often so that can be hit or miss.

#4. San Antonio. SA is 2 1/2 hours away and I'd like to get some pictures of the city, especially at night.

And finally, #5. Austin. Five hours away but I would like to get pictures of Austin much like I would like to get in SA.

So, hopefully you can now see that I have done ALL that I can in this area, I've even documented all of the cemeteries here, which are absolutely tragic in my opinion. You're more than welcome to check out my website, the link is in my signature. Just keep in mind that I have A LOT of pictures of this region, they just don't make the cut to sell professionally. They can't really be appreciated unless you live here. ;)

PS.
To stay on topic, this is why there is no
ONE lens for me. I typically use my 50mm and
my 70-200. My 17-40 has hardly had any use at
all but I'm hoping all that changes in May when I
go to Big Bend. Next up for me...the 100mm macro.
I've had to move on to still life photography since
I've run out of subjects and my 50mm and 70-200
don't always cut it. :)

sponsored links

9,383 views & 0 likes for this thread
The one lens to rule them all
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.