Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Nov 2013 (Tuesday) 09:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

KatzEye focusing screen available for 70D

Edgar ­ in ­ ATL
398 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Nov 19, 2013 09:24 |  #1

Just noticed KatzEye now makes split prism focusing screens for the 70D. The 70D focusing screen is not user replaceable. It must be replaced by a professional camera repair person. The cost for installation at a reputable Atlanta shop is $65. I am eager to try one.

Canon 90D User - Canon 24-70 2.8 L2, 70-200 2.8 L3, 200 2.8 L2, 85 1.8
Canon M6 User - Canon 15-45 3.5-6.3, 55-200 4.5-6.3

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,890 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 19, 2013 12:45 |  #2

Eyes open wide...

Are you aware that split prism centers and microprism centers will affect metering accuracy, particularly in Spot metering mode? Some folks on POTN have measured as much as 2EV error. Some users do not seem to notice any metering error, but those folks tend to use only Evaluative metering, where the surrounding zones somewhat compensate for error in measurement by the center metering zone.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 19, 2013 13:12 |  #3

Why would you replace the active VF with a static one? I'd just buy a used 60D or something as my "MF Camera" if I wanted a replaceable focusing screen for some applications.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Edgar ­ in ­ ATL
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Nov 19, 2013 15:23 |  #4

KatzEye web site states for the 70D: "The KatzEye™ focusing screen for the Canon 70D has no effect on existing viewfinder information. All active viewfinder information, including the focusing points and on-demand grid will still function normally."

Wilt
41,890 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 19, 2013 22:08 |  #5

Edgar in ATL wrote in post #16464403 (external link)
KatzEye web site states for the 70D: "The KatzEye™ focusing screen for the Canon 70D has no effect on existing viewfinder information. All active viewfinder information, including the focusing points and on-demand grid will still function normally."

If you search their web site, one page offers,

"Why Does Brand X Focusing Screen Not Affect the Meter?

Any split prism screen will produce changes to the light metering - this has been the case since the split prism screen was first introduced, in every camera where they have been used. One need only reference the manual for any camera that has a factory option for a split prism screen (like the Canon 1Ds) to see the manufacturer’s notes about exposure changes. Any screen manufacturer that claims there is no metering effect is simply not telling the whole story. At KatzEye™ Optics, we would rather be upfront and present all the detailed results we have available, so the customer can make an informed decsion. "

On another page...

"Whenever one introduces a prism into the light path of the camera, there is always the possibility the camera’s light meter will be affected to some degree. We have done our best to summarize the effects on the page for each camera model, but if you need clarification or more information, please feel free to contact us. "

And on another page...

"How Can I Minimize Light Metering Errors?

"This varies quite a bit in different camera models, so please refer to the page for your camera model for specific answers. In general however, metering modes that use the entire frame, such as centerweighted average metering and full frame evaluative metering have the most accurate results. Metering modes that weight the center portion of the scene heavily, such as partial metering, spot metering, and some manufacturers’ evaluative metering will be most affected. Fortunately, with the availability of on-demand histograms, it is generally a simple matter to take a test shot, check the histogram, and adjust the exposure compensation accordingly. The exposure shift is generally constant for a particular lens (when using auto-aperture lenses), so once the necessary compensation is known, it can be set with each lens change. Again, for more specific answers, please refer to the product description for your camera model."

And this old post of mine from 2008 mentions what Katz Eye used to state, as well as what Haoda used to state. As I reported, POTN members have verified up to 2EV error (I cannot recall which manufacturer's focus screens)

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=5127246&po​stcount=69

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
41,890 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 19, 2013 22:44 |  #6

Testimony from two Katz Eye users, in 2008

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=5254378&po​stcount=84

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=5294227&po​stcount=91

and from another post of mine in 2008, I quoted Katz Eye,
"Spot Metering Mode: Our testing showed spot metering mode to be within factory tolerance for all AF lenses having a maximum aperture of f2.0 or larger (lower f number). Lenses having a maximum aperture smaller than f2.0 (lager f number) will show a significant shift toward increased exposure, with the shift increasing for lenses with smaller maximum apertures. Spot metering mode is NOT RECOMMENDED when using a split prism focusing screen. However, if spot mode must be used, it is strongly advised to first take a test shot, check the histogram, and adjust exposure compensation as required."

And I reported on some additional statements from POTN members,
In another forum, one reader wrote: "I had the standard Katz Eye screen in my DS. They work very well down to about f4.0 (with good light otherwise f2.8 ) The only issue I had with them is I could not use spot meter mode. The split prism really whacked the meter out." In reply, another reader said, " Although they do brag about theirs being special in this respect. Spot meter works fine with mine, but metering in generally gets whacked if the lens min ap is f5.6 indoors, I think because half the center is black and the ground glass is also quite a bit darker so to the meter it looks dark, although, funny thing is that it UNDERexposes, by about 3 stops!" And yet another forum had the comment, "No metering mode is reliable with the Haodo screen, whatever he claims. It deflects light paths all wrong for the sensors. Unpredictable and needs care. It works 80 per cent of the time, the other 20 can be so far off it's a disaster."

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 20, 2013 00:39 |  #7

I had (Have) a katz eye screen for the 20/30D that I still miss when I look through the viewfinder on my 1D mk iv. In fact; I went to their website yesterday to see if my camera has a screen yet. I can say my metering was never "off" enough for me to blame the screen as the item at fault. If anyone wants a screen for the 20/30D; I have one to sell; but only because it doesn't fit my current cameras. :(

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

Edgar ­ in ­ ATL
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Nov 27, 2013 11:17 |  #8

Received KatzEye split prism focusing screen "Plus" with "OptiBrite" treatment for 70D today. Immediately had it installed by a nearby digital camera repairperson in the northeast Atlanta area. This is a terrific upgrade. It is a great help with manual focusing, and it is an effective way to check accuracy and intent of auto-focusing. All auto-focusing features still work without a hitch, and the framing aids and everything else project as with the original screen. The screen with OptiBrite is actually brighter than the original. I have seen little or no problem with the wider aperture initial tests. At this point I highly recommend this focusing screen.

For those in Atlanta, I also recommend V-Photo of Atlanta for this kind of installation/repair service. This was my first time to go to V-Photo (relocated in ground basement of a private residence from former store front). Wow, in and out in less than 10 minutes and for only $30!I have used another local repair service in the past with the same quality results, but always a 3-5 day wait for almost anything to be done and always much more expensive (they quoted $65 for this particular job).

Hats off to KatzEye and V-Photo!

Wilt
41,890 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 27, 2013 11:34 |  #9

Edgar in ATL wrote in post #16484023 (external link)
Received KatzEye split prism focusing screen "Plus" with "OptiBrite" treatment for 70D today. Immediately had it installed by a nearby digital camera repairperson in the northeast Atlanta area. This is a terrific upgrade. It is a great help with manual focusing, and it is an effective way to check accuracy and intent of auto-focusing.

Please conduct a simple test for us:

1. Aim your camera at a uniformly lit mono-color wall ( hopefully a fairly neutral color like white);
  2. put your camera into Evaluative, Partial, Spot, and Center-weighted Average -- preferably with a relatively fast aperture lens (e.g. f/2.8) and also with a relatively slow aperture lens (e.g f/4.5) -- while biasing the meter by EC +2/3;
  3. take a photo with each (a total of 8 exposures).
  4. Look at the resulting histogram, and see if they appear similar to this result with a Canon focus screen.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Principles/Standardfocusscreenexposure_zps4e98eb8f.jpg

Significant deviation of the peak from just to right of center will be indicative of induced meter error, either by a center focus aid and/or by the Optibrite treatment. You would be doing a service to others considering this product, the validate meter accuracy after installation.

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 27, 2013 11:45 |  #10

Wilt wrote in post #16484073 (external link)
Significant deviation of the peak from just to right of center will be indicative of induced meter error, either by a center focus aid and/or by the Optibrite treatment. You would be doing a service to others considering this product, the validate meter accuracy after installation.

You don't have your gear listed.. If you have a 20/30D laying around; I could sent you my old screen for a test.

It does have the optibrite treatment.

-Tom Dragonetti
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

Wilt
41,890 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 27, 2013 12:05 |  #11

Tdragone wrote in post #16484110 (external link)
You don't have your gear listed.. If you have a 20/30D laying around; I could sent you my old screen for a test.

It does have the optibrite treatment.

I did my test with a 40D, but do not know if the aftermarket screens made to fit the 20D/30D would fit. I'd be happy to compare size against my other 40D screen, and if it fits will do the test and mail you the screen after I've done the test. Send PM for mailing information.

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 27, 2013 12:08 |  #12

The form factor of the 40D screen vs the 20/30D looks a lot different on their site. Bummer.
http://www.katzeyeopti​cs.com …non-DSLRs--cat_canon.html (external link)

-Tom Dragonetti
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

Edgar ­ in ­ ATL
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Nov 27, 2013 13:09 |  #13

Wilt wrote in post #16484073 (external link)
Please conduct a simple test for us:

1. Aim your camera at a uniformly lit mono-color wall ( hopefully a fairly neutral color like white);
  2. put your camera into Evaluative, Partial, Spot, and Center-weighted Average -- preferably with a relatively fast aperture lens (e.g. f/2.8) and also with a relatively slow aperture lens (e.g f/4.5) -- while biasing the meter by EC +2/3;
  3. take a photo with each (a total of 8 exposures).
  4. Look at the resulting histogram, and see if they appear similar to this result with a Canon focus screen.

QUOTED IMAGE

Will try to do this weekend after completing Thanksgiving endeavors.

sponsored links

4,169 views & 0 likes for this thread
KatzEye focusing screen available for 70D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.