Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 22 Nov 2013 (Friday) 08:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you pay for these? If not what would make you?

chubbyone
THREAD ­ STARTER
661 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 26, 2013 07:39 |  #31

xpfloyd wrote in post #16478809 (external link)
Personally I like them both. I have a 21 week old myself so I am just learning baby posing as I go along (not a professional photographer).

The only thing I would say is the second one with regards to composition, I would probably have positioned everything further to the right in the frame but that's just personal taste. What I find when posting photos of my little guy on this forum is you cant please everyone. A perfect looking shot to one person may look average to the next. Some people like certain processing and others don't, you just have to get to a point where you are happy with it. If I had taken those two shots of my son I would be more than happy, good work.

Thanks, I quite like your shots! Your babies eyes are amazing. Keep doing what YOU do.

SJC from VT wrote in post #16479725 (external link)
I really like the second one, but the first one the head looks detached from the body. Not sure if it is the narrow depth of field, or the fact that the image is so light in color, but something seems a bit off to me. I am by no means an authority on photography of any kind, I just know what I like!
Congratulations on an adorable little sweetheart!

Thanks!

6D | EF 35 f2 IS | EF 50 f1.4 | EF 85 f1.8 | EF 135 f2.0

sponsored links
joshuaphoto
97 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 26, 2013 09:54 |  #32

tmoore323 wrote in post #16479070 (external link)
Fair enough, like said cute kid - but we will leave it at that..

Congratulations!

This is sort of meta/semi-off-topic, but can I just say? Thank you, chubbyone and tmoore323 for showing a good example of being able to strongly disagree but yet remain civil and polite!

chubbyone, I really like the pose on #1, and the tones on #2. I think I would have tried to get more (straight-on view) of the face on #2, although I like how the basket looks. The angles for newborn photography is a great challenge for me, as I am still learning how to position sweet models that cannot "keep themselves" in place without padding/help!

Niccas9
798 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 26, 2013 17:48 |  #33

Great Job. You knew what you were getting into when you decided to post something on the "critique corner". Other than a slight increase in contrast on the first shot there is nothing I would change. You are obviously a very competent photographer and I wouldn't think you would have a hard time finding clients!

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 26, 2013 19:37 |  #34

I actually really like these very much as-is contrast wise. Maybe my screen is calibrated in the same way as the op's (presumably with too much contrast lol) but that edit made me go "eeaagh!"

The first i love. The second is too cutsie for my taste, but it's extremely well done; certainly one of the better interpretations of this kind of shot i've seen, and plenty of people would love one of these of their baby. Well done! :)

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

chubbyone
THREAD ­ STARTER
661 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 27, 2013 06:55 |  #35

joshuaphoto wrote in post #16481292 (external link)
This is sort of meta/semi-off-topic, but can I just say? Thank you, chubbyone and tmoore323 for showing a good example of being able to strongly disagree but yet remain civil and polite!

chubbyone, I really like the pose on #1, and the tones on #2. I think I would have tried to get more (straight-on view) of the face on #2, although I like how the basket looks. The angles for newborn photography is a great challenge for me, as I am still learning how to position sweet models that cannot "keep themselves" in place without padding/help!

Thanks! And yes, that could have gone a different way, and all too often does. It's hard to be open minded when you spend so much time on something, but being new to this whole thing makes it easier. That and I really do value others opinions here.

Niccas9 wrote in post #16482325 (external link)
Great Job. You knew what you were getting into when you decided to post something on the "critique corner". Other than a slight increase in contrast on the first shot there is nothing I would change. You are obviously a very competent photographer and I wouldn't think you would have a hard time finding clients!

Wow thank you much! I am happy to hear that :)

RMH wrote in post #16482530 (external link)
I actually really like these very much as-is contrast wise. Maybe my screen is calibrated in the same way as the op's (presumably with too much contrast lol) but that edit made me go "eeaagh!"

The first i love. The second is too cutsie for my taste, but it's extremely well done; certainly one of the better interpretations of this kind of shot i've seen, and plenty of people would love one of these of their baby. Well done! :)

Thanks! I go back and forth with the contrast. It's so hard to know what is ideal after looking at a photo for so long. I force myself to walk away and come back to it. It's also a whole other thing to be happy with screen versus print. Learning that the hard way too!

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,420 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 27, 2013 07:57 |  #36

co, I like the shot, and as others have said...I'd probably buy a copy if I was the parent and a non-photographer. :)

Getting into the sideline of photographing other people's babies and young children will be a little different (duh) than photographing your own.

Take into consideration that you know your child's sleeping and feeding schedule and you happen to be around your child at opportune times for the candid (and staged) shots...and your baby knows you and feels safe around you. She(?) has probably gotten somewhat use to the camera and equipment, too.

On the otherhand, with a client you will have an appointment and limited time to shoot the client. If you arrive and find the child has suddenly acquired infant version of Montzuma's revenge, well, that (and other unforseen thigns) kind of throws a kink in things. The child will probably view you as a stranger and the camera equipment as something "new" (whether new in a good or bad way is yet to be seen). There are lots of things that are different in shooting non-family subjects. But, all of those can be overcome, as evidenced by many baby/child photographers who make good money at it. It will be a learning curve but if you like children then you'll have a blast figuring it all out...and you will also be well introduced to the concept of "herding cats"...even if it is a herd of *one*. :D

Looking at these shots of your baby (they're good, the first one's my favorite) I say "Go for it!". Keep the fun in it.

Best wishes,
Ed

www.beeweather.com (external link)

sticknpuck
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 27, 2013 12:47 |  #37

Well done, I like everything about these. I prefer the lower contrast style for babies as it gives them a more angelic appearance that I think many parents would find appealing. Wonderful textures in the props that really work well with the tones here. I think if you got a variety of props in other colors and textures you could certainly create a variety of color palettes to create images that could suit about anyone.

Maybe one slight nitpick - the one piece of blanket in the second image is almost laying on the baby's side. It doesn't seem to have the same golden shine of the rest of the blanket and I probably would have removed it. Again, just splitting hairs at this point and completely up to the artist.

I think the one thing i've found here is to take everyone's advise or critique with a grain (large) of salt. You clearly have an excellent handle on the basics of exposure, DOF and composition. Unless it's someone who's work you really admire and feel is at a very high standard, trust in your own judgement and do what you think looks right. This work is much better than many I see posted by "professional" photogs on Facebook or other sites i've come across. I'm sure you'll only continue to get better and better.

Like many others have said here - I wouldn't pay cause I would likely take my own, but - priced accordingly (different topic about which I know nothing) - many would pay for these.

All the best,

Matt

Matt
flickr (external link)

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 27, 2013 15:17 |  #38

chubbyone wrote in post #16483397 (external link)
Thanks! And yes, that could have gone a different way, and all too often does. It's hard to be open minded when you spend so much time on something, but being new to this whole thing makes it easier. That and I really do value others opinions here.

Now that a couple days have gone by, I will chime in one more time on this, and this is not to stir the pot :) Just to give something to think about...

it kinda did go the "other way" you put up a picture for critique, I gave my critique, you didn't like it and went on to attack all of my work and then shut me down completely.

As others have stated, not everyone likes one type of processing over another, you have your style, I have mine, but if you ask for opinion you should be open to all, and not attack the person doing the critique.

Again cute kid and the general consensus is that your processing style and take on these pictures is very good so use that to your advantage :)

dovate
33 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 27, 2013 15:27 as a reply to  @ sticknpuck's post |  #39

I think they both look great.

I teach a photoshop basics class where I explain all about reading a histogram, then at the end show the histogram of my most widely published image. It's a mess, but the image works.

The photo is properly exposed and lit for what I was trying to do.

What I'm saying is understand the basics, then you're free to ignore them when necessary. But you have to understand them first. If low contrast was what you wanted, then great. If it was accidental, then learn and experiment.

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 27, 2013 22:00 |  #40

dovate wrote in post #16484650 (external link)

I teach a photoshop basics class where I explain all about reading a histogram, then at the end show the histogram of my most widely published image. It's a mess, but the image works.

What I'm saying is understand the basics, then you're free to ignore them when necessary. But you have to understand them first. If low contrast was what you wanted, then great. If it was accidental, then learn and experiment.

I for one would love to see this picture, and any links to your classes...

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,083 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 28, 2013 00:15 |  #41

On the histogram point the same thing happens when I shoot stars or the milky way. The shot is exposed as you want it but the histogram is way way over to the left. Low key photography can do this too.

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

DeeJayTee
22 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 28, 2013 17:28 |  #42

Surely worth paying for.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 29, 2013 14:25 |  #43

I think that I'm seeing a little distortion due to a wide lens...yeah, I realize that baby's heads are normally oversize at birth. Perhaps a longer lens would have cured that if I'm correct.
Had to nitpick a little, else you wind up with a big head, because they are good images. ;)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 29, 2013 14:28 |  #44

So, the question is really whether or not you should take people on FB up on offers to get paid to shoot?

Sure, why not?

But, beware, paying customers expect things, and it means the photography isn't fun anymore.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

chubbyone
THREAD ­ STARTER
661 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 29, 2013 21:38 |  #45

Intheswamp wrote in post #16483509 (external link)
co, I like the shot, and as others have said...I'd probably buy a copy if I was the parent and a non-photographer. :)...

...Looking at these shots of your baby (they're good, the first one's my favorite) I say "Go for it!". Keep the fun in it.

Best wishes,
Ed

Thanks! I appreciate you stopping by and weighing in. I certainly understand the cat herding reference. I guess time will tell if I have the patience!

sticknpuck wrote in post #16484270 (external link)
Well done, I like everything about these. I prefer the lower contrast style for babies as it gives them a more angelic appearance that I think many parents would find appealing. Wonderful textures in the props that really work well with the tones here. I think if you got a variety of props in other colors and textures you could certainly create a variety of color palettes to create images that could suit about anyone.

Maybe one slight nitpick - the one piece of blanket in the second image is almost laying on the baby's side. It doesn't seem to have the same golden shine of the rest of the blanket and I probably would have removed it. Again, just splitting hairs at this point and completely up to the artist.

I think the one thing i've found here is to take everyone's advise or critique with a grain (large) of salt. You clearly have an excellent handle on the basics of exposure, DOF and composition. Unless it's someone who's work you really admire and feel is at a very high standard, trust in your own judgement and do what you think looks right. This work is much better than many I see posted by "professional" photogs on Facebook or other sites i've come across. I'm sure you'll only continue to get better and better.

Like many others have said here - I wouldn't pay cause I would likely take my own, but - priced accordingly (different topic about which I know nothing) - many would pay for these.

All the best,

Matt

Thank you! Really amazing to hear something like that. I have spent hours and hours reading over the last several months, and these last couple weeks it has really started to come together it seems. I had (and often still have :o) my share of throwaways. Shots that make you think, jeez, what was I even thinking. The ones that come out though, keep me anticipating the next shoot. I'm very much addicted to this photography thing.

dovate wrote in post #16484650 (external link)

Thanks! I am completely self-taught, so while I have poured over the threads here, I still just go off of what my eye tells me for the most part. It's kind of a slow process, which I'm sure would be expedited if I better understood the basics!

DeeJayTee wrote in post #16487105 (external link)
Surely worth paying for.

Thanks!

chauncey wrote in post #16488622 (external link)
I think that I'm seeing a little distortion due to a wide lens...yeah, I realize that baby's heads are normally oversize at birth. Perhaps a longer lens would have cured that if I'm correct.
Had to nitpick a little, else you wind up with a big head, because they are good images. ;)

Well, I do have a rather robust melon, so like father like daughter. I do agree though, I would prefer to have shot these with an 85, but I can't decide whether to get the 24-70 ii or a 35 - 85 - 135 trinity. So while I ponder, I sit with only the 50. (And a borrowed 24-70 mark one that isn't sharp enough for my liking)

Your right. It's easy to swallow up all the praise and feel empowered. My wife has kept me grounded, but is extremely supportive! She wasn't as on board with my Reef tanks, road bicycles, fat-tire bicycles, or audiophile phases. Haha :cool:

S.Horton wrote in post #16488628 (external link)
So, the question is really whether or not you should take people on FB up on offers to get paid to shoot?

Sure, why not?

But, beware, paying customers expect things, and it means the photography isn't fun anymore.

Yep that is more or less the question. And I do fear the latter point. Any incite on how to have my cake and eat it too? I mean, I suppose the easy answer is to consistently deliver wonderful images to everyone; but, I know that there must be more to it than that.

sponsored links

6,086 views & 0 likes for this thread
Would you pay for these? If not what would make you?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.