Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Oct 2010 (Saturday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your coolest accessory.

lance60031x
ISO composure
264 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Nov 23, 2013 14:59 |  #1051

[QUOTE=tvphotog;164745​42]For those of you who spend a lot of time in the field, these are the cargo pants to wear. I've had a few pairs of Columbia Sportswear pants for several years which are decent, but cheap and you get what you pay for; the side and cargo pockets are a bit flimsy. These, by comparison, VersaTacs Light by Rail Riders (external link) are the best I've seen. Very well thought out.

Thanks TV. By chance have you ordered the mid weight pants as of yet? The one you listed is the light model. It was bitter cold this AM (Chicago agra) when I was trying to capture a sunrise on Lake Michigan is making me think of a slightly heavier material.

7d mii, 5d miii, 70-200 f2.8 ii, 17-40 f4, 24-70 f2.8 ii, 24-105 f4, 100 macro L, 300 f4 canon 50 1.4, canon 85 1.8, siggy 35 f1.4 siggy 50 1.4 A

sponsored links
MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
18,086 posts
Gallery: 1816 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 26, 2013 22:40 |  #1052

When I do cargo pants stuffed with photo gear I add suspenders lest down they go.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 27, 2013 16:44 |  #1053

This somehow fell off the server. I'm reposting it.

For those of you who spend a lot of time in the field, these are the cargo pants to wear. I've had a few pairs of Columbia Sportswear pants for several years which are decent, but cheap and you get what you pay for; the side and cargo pockets are a bit flimsy. These, by comparison, VersaTacs Light by Rail Riders  (external link)are the best I've seen. Very well thought out.

The material is ballistic nylon, very light weight and rugged, with reinforced knees, seat and cuffs. The pockets in the back and on the legs have not only Velcro closures, but two buttons held in place not by thread but by nylon paracord minus the seven inner strings. The cargo pockets have a bellows feature, and can carry just about anything. 1.5" belt loops for a belt that you can hang a lens pouch or utility bag from. For colder climes, put on a pair of Marmot or Patagonia tights underneath.

From the Rail Riders page: "They were developed in conjunction with military professionals and outdoorsmen who are more the type to read Field & Stream rather than Men’s Journal. We’ve even found that U.S. Special Forces have taken a special liking to our VersaTacs. The Light Pants are made with super tough yet lightweight 3-oz Duralite Nylon fabric. Side cargo pockets have internal pockets to hold a flashlight and energy bars; vertical zippers on side cargo pockets that allow quick access while sitting, kneeling or driving a vehicle; and reinforced side pocket openings to prevent abrasion against knife clip chafe."

They are not cheap at $110, now on Black Friday sale for $94, which is a very good deal. Four colors. Three different lengths. I bought four pair. Think Christmas gift to yourself.

Photo courtesy Railriders (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 27, 2013 16:50 |  #1054

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #16482884 (external link)
When I do cargo pants stuffed with photo gear I add suspenders lest down they go.

I use these wide nylon belts, 1.5 inches which fit the belt loops perfectly. They don't slip down from your waist. From Amazon or 5.11 Tactical.com.

Photo courtesy Amazon (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i17.photobucket​.com …_SL1468_1_zps45​e8b3cb.jpg (external link)

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 27, 2013 17:04 |  #1055

tvphotog wrote in post #16484841 (external link)
I use these wide nylon belts, 1.5 inches which fit the belt loops perfectly. They don't slip down from your waist. From Amazon or 5.11 Tactical.com.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://s17.photobucket​.com …68_1_zps45e8b3c​b.jpg.html  (external link)

These are great. I got a couple, just for normal daily use.

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 27, 2013 22:47 |  #1056

Canajun wrote in post #16484869 (external link)
These are great. I got a couple, just for normal daily use.

And you can use it for a CCW lol.

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,872 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 27, 2013 23:51 |  #1057

tvphotog wrote in post #16484841 (external link)

Is there a reason you use a webbing belt rather than an ordinary leather belt?

OneJZsupra wrote in post #16485563 (external link)
And you can use it for a CCW lol.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a CCW?

Cheers, Damien

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 28, 2013 01:07 |  #1058

dodgyexposure wrote in post #16485664 (external link)

concealed carry weapon.

511 tactical is a company that makes firearms gear.

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,505 posts
Gallery: 453 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 28, 2013 08:35 |  #1059

dodgyexposure wrote in post #16485664 (external link)

Belts made of webbing by companies like 511, Wilderness and others are designed for people who carry weapons or other heavy stuff on their belts. I have worn a Wilderness Instructor belt daily for years without any twisting or sagging. An ordinary leather belt wouldn't last me a year.

The Wilderness Instructor belt also has a buckle designed to be used to tie off to things like a harness. That has been very handy for impromptu rappelling or climbing.

http://www.thewilderne​ss.com …original-instructor-belt/ (external link)

I have also been wearing Propper Public Safety pants daily for years now, which last seemingly forever. None of them have any signs of wear and they are comfortable. I think they call them tactical pants now.

http://www.epropper.co​m …tactical-pant-canvas.aspx (external link)

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 28, 2013 10:46 |  #1060

C Scott IV wrote in post #16486184 (external link)
Belts made of webbing by companies like 511, Wilderness and others are designed for people who carry weapons or other heavy stuff on their belts. I have worn a Wilderness Instructor belt daily for years without any twisting or sagging. An ordinary leather belt wouldn't last me a year.

The Wilderness Instructor belt also has a buckle designed to be used to tie off to things like a harness. That has been very handy for impromptu rappelling or climbing.

http://www.thewilderne​ss.com …original-instructor-belt/ (external link)

I have also been wearing Propper Public Safety pants daily for years now, which last seemingly forever. None of them have any signs of wear and they are comfortable. I think they call them tactical pants now.

http://www.epropper.co​m …tactical-pant-canvas.aspx (external link)

I really like the Wilderness belt. It comes in a money-belt variation, which is perfect for my travels. Thanks for the tip.

Jay

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,505 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 28, 2013 11:38 |  #1061

tvphotog wrote in post #16486427 (external link)
I really like the Wilderness belt. It comes in a money-belt variation, which is perfect for my travels. Thanks for the tip.

No problem. I have the Instructor belt in CSM for daily wear and the Frequent Flyer in 5-stitch for air travel. I cannot tell the difference between the two when it comes to flexibility.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

Markulous
331 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 28, 2013 12:09 |  #1062

Another of my coolest accessories (though it's warming rather than cool!)

IMAGE: http://hillandmountain.paramo.co.uk/images/product-images/Large%20Product%20Images/P%C3%A1ramo%20Directional%20Waterproofs/Mens-Aspira-Trousers-Black.jpg

Paramo Aspira Trousers: waterproof with foam inserts on the bum and knees, so can kneel/sit comfortably anywhere in any conditions. Will be used again in the mud of the off-leash session with the Huskies this weekend! :)

If it moves, snap it - and if it doesn't move, snap it twice just in case it does move!
ΜΛЯΚ @ Photobucket (external link)

tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 28, 2013 13:35 |  #1063

C Scott IV wrote in post #16486532 (external link)
No problem. I have the Instructor belt in CSM for daily wear and the Frequent Flyer in 5-stitch for air travel. I cannot tell the difference between the two when it comes to flexibility.

Is the CSM thicker, or is it more difficult to take through and lie flat in the buckle? Don't know whether to get the 5 stitch or CSM to use to hang a lens pouch on.

Jay

seall
561 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 28, 2013 14:13 |  #1064

Markulous wrote in post #16486589 (external link)
Another of my coolest accessories (though it's warming rather than cool!)
QUOTED IMAGE

Paramo Aspira Trousers: waterproof with foam inserts on the bum and knees, so can kneel/sit comfortably anywhere in any conditions. Will be used again in the mud of the off-leash session with the Huskies this weekend! :)

These are brilliant, I have the Aspira salopettes which are a joy in themselves to wear when it is cold.

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,505 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 28, 2013 20:09 |  #1065

tvphotog wrote in post #16486758 (external link)
Is the CSM thicker, or is it more difficult to take through and lie flat in the buckle? Don't know whether to get the 5 stitch or CSM to use to hang a lens pouch on.

The CSM is a little thicker. The portion that goes through the buckle is single thickness webbing on both the CSM and 5-stitch. In other words the thick part doesn't actually go through it so it lies flat.

Charles

sponsored links

664,431 views & 37 likes for this thread
Show us your coolest accessory.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.