Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 18:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-70mm f2.8 II focus

b7a4
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 27, 2013 18:53 |  #1

I just picked up a brand new 24-70 f2.8 II lens. I was testing out its sharpness, taking snapshots around the neighborhood, and I wanted to get everyone's opinion on it. The first pic is with AF...the second with manual focus.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

And here is 100% crop. Once again, first pic is AF, second is MF.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

The image is clearly sharper when I manually focus. I'm shooting on a Canon 6D with only the center AF point used. Both shot at 70mm. Is this something I should be experiencing on a brand new lens, and is there anything I can do to get the focus sharper?

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,263 posts
Gallery: 1678 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 27, 2013 19:10 |  #2

Heya,

It's very close, just glancing you can't tell, but peeping you can see your 2nd shot being a touch sharper. It's not night and day though. It may be a very tiny touch of front/rear focus with the lens. You could send it in to be calibrated with the lens properly. This isn't unheard of with nicer bodies & lenses.

What settings did you use? Best to test wide open on aperture. Your "manual" image shows the cacti also being more in focus. Makes me wonder what depth of field you had with the aperture.

Also, why is the exposure so different? What mode/settings?

I would re-test this on a tripod in manual with specifically set settings so you're not getting differences from the camera and simply isolate the lens. Then do an AF image. And then do a manual focus image. Use a remote shutter trigger. For the image, use something that has items in a front/middle/rear setup so you can focus on one and see which ends up more in focus to help determine if you're getting some front/rear focus issues. A handful of bottles or some spray cans, or something like that, would work fine. You could even do it indoors. I would test at different focal lengths and distances too to help isolate if it's a particular focal length, or a distance at one or all focal lengths that this issue is most pronounced.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

b7a4
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 27, 2013 19:17 |  #3

Shot on P. Probably should of shot manual, but I was concentrating on the focus.
Image 1 (AF)
f/2.8, Shutter: 1/80, ISO: 320

Image 2 (MF)
f/2.8, Shutter: 1/60, ISO: 200

Around how long does it take to send something in for calibration?

renagade69
37 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 27, 2013 20:40 |  #4

Another good test would be setting it up on a tripod and use live view to take the first picture. Live view uses another means to focus that is more accurate. Then do a test with your auto focus. Both shots taken using your wi-fi or remote shutter release.Make sure you turn off any in camera lens corrections. Both shots should be the same settings in manual mode. I would download, and print a focus test target.

More here-A must read for your testing.
http://photographylife​.com …dslr-for-autofocus-issues (external link)

------------
Canon 1DX
Canon -
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM , EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM,EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

klassenl
152 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 27, 2013 21:17 |  #5

If you're going to nitpick over the differences presented above you should remember that most of us hobby photographers will never ever ever be able to afford to buy a NEW lens. Quit testing and go shooting and then make some prints and be happy.

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Nov 27, 2013 21:40 |  #6

renagade69 wrote in post #16485374 (external link)
Another good test would be setting it up on a tripod and use live view to take the first picture. Live view uses another means to focus that is more accurate. Then do a test with your auto focus.

I agree generally with this approach as I feel that 10X magnified Live view manual focus is as good as a basis of comparison when evaluating your auto focus.

Use a target that has decent contrast in good light. The recommended minimum target distance is 50X focal length, or about 4-12 ft for your 24-70mm lens. I don't actually take a picture, but first perform manual focus as well as I can with 10X magnified live view. Then AF to see if the the focus is poorer or the same (ideally). If the lens/camera body are a bit out of calibration, you should really consider micro adjustment. Its in your electronic 6D manual page 314 and you want feature adjust by lens, p316. Adjust the AF offset at both ends of your zoom range and the camera will interpolate intermediate zoom position calibration.
Remember that both the camera and lens can be performing within specification and your particular combination of lens and camera body may not yield optimum results. The 24-70 II L should yield very sharp pictures.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

commonjunks
588 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 27, 2013 21:46 |  #7

seems a bit blur to me, is it human error?
for any new lens i will advise to use tripod for testing shot.

5D3|35L|50f1.8II|580EXII

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 28, 2013 15:28 |  #8

the images are close but the mf shot is clearly sharper. 1/80s @ 70mm is pretty close to 1/fl rule, looks like a bit of camera shake to me.

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

b7a4
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 01, 2013 15:04 |  #9

Doing some more testing....am I crazy or is LiveView AF more accurate than regular AF?

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,570 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 01, 2013 15:10 |  #10

b7a4 wrote in post #16493200 (external link)
Doing some more testing....am I crazy or is LiveView AF more accurate than regular AF?

Yes! :D

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,125 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 01, 2013 15:16 as a reply to  @ MakisM1's post |  #11

another scientific POTN anal exam sure to cast doubt, confuse the masses and fuel the haters ;)

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

w9trb
149 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 01, 2013 15:24 as a reply to  @ ed rader's post |  #12

It is equally possible that the sign is moving slightly with the breeze! You have a world-class lens, so go out on a real world shooting spree then judge results. If you see a problem at that point, then go the route of printing a test target and using a tripod, Mirror lockup and timer or remote. But first get out and give it a chance au natural!

b7a4
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 01, 2013 15:45 |  #13

Ok...did some more testing...this time with a sturdy manfrotto tripod. Every shot on Manual...f/2.8, 1/400s, ISO100...all at 70mm. Set the shoot mode to 10 second, so that there would be absolutely no shake by the time the shutter clicked. I tested at 3 distances...6ft, 12 ft, and 25ft. At each distance, I focused using three methods. AF (center point), LiveView AF, and LiveView MF. All my LiveView AF and MF were spot on, so I won't even post results from the MF. Where there is definitely slight misfocus is on AF. Here are the results:

6ft
Auto-Focus (center point)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

LiveView AF
IMAGE NOT FOUND

12ft
IMAGE NOT FOUND

LiveView AF
IMAGE NOT FOUND

25ft
IMAGE NOT FOUND

LiveView AF
IMAGE NOT FOUND

It seems as the distance increases, the AF misfocus gets gradually worse.

b7a4
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 01, 2013 16:01 |  #14

I will try the Microadjustment....but will that affect the LiveView AF? Because that seems to be pretty accurate. I just need to adjust the AF

renagade69
37 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 01, 2013 16:24 |  #15

Micro adjustment only effects the auto focus. The Live View focuses in a different way. Do you have other lens's to try on your camera? If so does every one do the same thing? If they do then you may want to send the camera in.

------------
Canon 1DX
Canon -
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM , EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM,EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

sponsored links

1,860 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-70mm f2.8 II focus
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.