Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 23 Nov 2013 (Saturday) 19:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Black Friday Week Refurbished Sale Coming Tonight

Ynot
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 26, 2013 10:22 |  #61

I haven't yet received a shipping email from Canon, just the initial email stating that they received my order and that I'll get another email later. That's fine, but when I go on to their site and attempt to login I've been getting the following message for two days and was wondering if others are getting the same.

"Our systems are currently undergoing maintenance and we are unable to access your account. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please check back soon or continue as a guest."

Update: finally got in.

Tony
My Gear
Governments don't live together, people live together...Ӕ
Outlaw Josey Wales

sponsored links
bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 27, 2013 19:46 |  #62

i promise to create some really nice images w/ it (before selling it)!

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 27, 2013 23:40 |  #63

So there I was...

Attending an event this afternoon in which I didn't want to carry my wallet. I left it in the car and started the 10-minute walk to where I needed to be. As I was about to enter the building, I heard the sound on my iPhone indicating that I had received a new email. Even though that familiar sounds happens several times per hour, I pulled my phone out just to make sure it wasn't a notification from CPW informing me the 300 2.8L was back in stock. When I glanced at my inbox, my heart skipped a beat and the world around me stood still. There it was...an email telling me it was back in stock for $4.9K and some change.

Crap! I didn't have solid internet access and I didn't have my credit card with me either! But I had Canon's 1-800 number programmed in my phone. I instantly called and while I was connecting with a sales rep, I started typing my wife a text message to meet me outside the building right now and to bring her wallet...without delay!

I calmly, but quickly said, "Hi Daniel. My name is Bryan. A very hard to get refurbished lens just came in stock and I need to buy it as quickly as possible. It is the 300 2.8L lens in your refurbished department. As soon as you pull it up, please let me know and I'll give you my account number. We'll need to move very quickly. Thank you for the help.

"Uhhhh. What lens was that?" said Daniel.

"The 300mm 2.8L IS" I quickly replied.

"Uhhhh, let me see if I can find that lens."

After an agonizing 25 seconds, he said "Here it is. The 300 4.0."

My heart sank. I knew my window of opportunity was slipping away. "No, I need the 300 2.8L, not the 4.0. It should be the most expensive lens in the refurb section right now if that helps you find it."

"Uhhhh, let me see if I can find it." 40 seconds goes by and he finally says "Here it is."

"Great. My account name is *************@yahoo.co​m. Please add it to my cart as quickly as possible."

Meanwhile, I'm sending a frantic second and third text to my wife. Bless her heart, I know she isn't hearing the texts coming in...because she would rush out there if she did. But somehow, the second and third text was my desperate attempt to somehow make this work.

Daniel comes back online and says "I'm sorry, but it's not letting me add it to your cart so I think it may be gone already. But let me talk to my manager and see if there's anything we can do."

He puts me on hold for 4 minutes before coming back to tell me there's nothing he can don But if I want, he can call me if one comes back in stock. Even though he'll never call me fast enough, I think sure, why not? I'm certain it will never work, but it doesn't hurt to try. I give him my cell phone number and walk inside with a look of disappointment on my face.

My wife says "What's wrong honey?"

"Oh nothing."

Maybe one day I'll score that sweet deal...maybe one day.

Bryan

My Gear List

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 27, 2013 23:47 |  #64

When i got mine, i do not believe it went out of stock, so i dont think i took the last one.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 28, 2013 00:50 |  #65

bigcountry wrote in post #16485658 (external link)
When i got mine, i do not believe it went out of stock, so i dont think i took the last one.

I think there was only ONE :)

A friend had it in his cart a few hours before the sale started but didn't follow through...He shoulda :lol:

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 28, 2013 00:54 |  #66

bigcountry wrote in post #16485658 (external link)

I think it's cool that you got one!

If you don't mind me asking, and so we can all improve our odds next time, did you already have the 300 2.8L in your shopping cart prior to the sale...and if so, did the sale price automatically update once the sale began? Or did you just add it to your cart once the sale began?

If you don't want to share this info publicly, then would you be up for sending it to me in a PM? Help a brother out so he can have a better chance next time around!

Thanks,
Btyan

My Gear List

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 28, 2013 00:59 |  #67

Hi Bryan,

There was only one available when the sale started on Sunday, and only one got restocked today. When the last one is bought it doesn't automatically say "out of stock", but goes into a state where people get an error when adding it to cart ("There is not enough inventory...").

Since I know you've been suffering over this 300mm II, send me a PM with your e-mail and I can bump you up in the order that notification e-mails are sent. There are >100 people signed up for notifications on this one, but if if you get your e-mail a few seconds before others that might be all the edge you need.

To be fair, this offer is open to any other POTN members too. :)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 28, 2013 01:18 |  #68

PhotoPrice,

That is so kind of you! Thank you!! (PM sent)

Thanks for everything you do. Your websites are such a great resource for photographers.

Bryan

My Gear List

mag10
357 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 28, 2013 01:33 |  #69

PhotoPrice wrote in post #16485743 (external link)
There are >100 people signed up for notifications on this one,

It's kinda funny that so many of us are waiting in line to spend $5K on a refurbished lens. I hope to be one of the lucky people they will take money from - that's if they ever have more than one in stock.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Sony DSC-RX100M3 | Canon EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM | Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller

Copper ­ NYC
395 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 28, 2013 09:11 |  #70

BB70Chevelle wrote in post #16479217 (external link)
Added to my collection of refurbished gear and picked up a 100-400L. All of my gear minus my 60D and 17-55 has been bought during canon refurb sales.

picked up the same lens great price, decoded date shows it was manufactured 04/2013, the new one year warranty is great on a big ticket item.

40D Gripped, 50D, T2I Gripped, 5D Mark III Gripped, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS
EF 28 f/2.8 IS, EF 40 2.8 STM, EF 50 f/1.4 USM,
EF 85 f/1.8 USM, EF 100 f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 24-105L f/4.0
EF 28-80 USM, the good one with metal mount and ring USM.
EF 28-80 USM V, EF 28-135 USM IS, EF 100-300 USM, EF 100-400L USM IS.
Rokinon 14 f/2.8

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 28, 2013 10:08 |  #71

Lucky me the 50L disappeared before I got too weak.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,906 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 28, 2013 10:20 |  #72

uOpt wrote in post #16486342 (external link)
Lucky me the 50L disappeared before I got too weak.

I was thinking about 50L also last night. But I never liked 50mm focal length that much so passed on it.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 28, 2013 15:42 |  #73

bobbyz wrote in post #16486361 (external link)
I was thinking about 50L also last night. But I never liked 50mm focal length that much so passed on it.

That was a really nice price for the 50L.
For some reason, I've been shooting more and more with the 50L than the 35L lately.

Sonny

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,906 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 28, 2013 15:54 |  #74

sonnyc wrote in post #16486933 (external link)
That was a really nice price for the 50L.
For some reason, I've been shooting more and more with the 50L than the 35L lately.

How is the AF on that thing?

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 28, 2013 16:45 |  #75

bobbyz wrote in post #16486965 (external link)
How is the AF on that thing?

AF is fast and acurate on my 5d3. I normally shoot around f1.8-f2.5 but a few times I did f1.2 it came out pretty good.

You need a 50L in your bag Bobby :lol:

Sonny

sponsored links

13,053 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Black Friday Week Refurbished Sale Coming Tonight
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.