Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Nov 2013 (Saturday) 20:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cleaning Sensor Question :(

Haribo
303 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 27, 2013 16:42 as a reply to  @ post 16484786 |  #16

$75 for 12... ouch

I use the copperhill kit - 1 pack of pecpads has lasted me years (you can cut them in to quarters).

It might sound strange, but if you find that you are pushing the dust/dirt around, then you can try a cleaning without using the eclipse fluid (you should only be using 1-2 drops anyway) - the dry pad can pick up the dirt better.

A quick blast with a blower (like the rocket blower) first can help too...though it only ever gets rid of the big stuff (fluff/hair) for me - the small bits of dust/dirt/grease always need a wet clean to remove them.

flickrexternal link

sponsored links
seall
561 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 27, 2013 16:43 |  #17

Frodge wrote in post #16484808 (external link)
They need to come up with a better alternative than those swabs. They leave stuff behind.

I agree, do you have any idea how Canon cleans them?

Do they manually wet swab them?

jay125
on the happy gas
10,716 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 27, 2013 16:47 |  #18

Copperhill kit here too. 100 pads for 9 bucks. The eclipse lasts as well, as you only need 2 drops per pad.

I've looked at the dry method with the brush, which uses static to pick up the crud, but I don't know how that would clean the sensor of oily/crud.

feedback

gear list

F-16 ­ Crew ­ Dog
I'm the worlds biggest BAAAAFOON!!!!
208 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 27, 2013 17:21 |  #19

Copperhill kit! Not easy at first and the job can be time consuming. NEVER use the same "Pad" twice!
Use a Rocket Blower first with the back of the camera facing up. Blow up using the rocket so that any stuff will fall out, then 2 drops on the Copper Hills swab, wait 10 sec or so then "Swab" your sensor using even pressure across your sensor's filter (you are not actually touching the sensor). Slide the swab to the area not touched by the pad, with out removing the tool from the sensor area, "Swipe" the other direction using the other side to your starting point. Pressure should not be more than wrighting with a ink pen. Follow up by turning off your camera and getting another Pad ready. 2 drops, 10 sec and do it again. After about 6 times, dry "Swab" once and blow again with the Rocket Blower, blowing up into the camera. After a few cleanings you will get the hang of it, and find out what works best for you. If you use canned air, not reccomended, one quick burst away from the camera then short half squezes up like the Rocket Blower. Do not shake the can and do not use the straw that comes with these cans!

Gripped 40D,Gripped 50D, Gripped 7D, 1DX, 70-200 2.8L IS V2, 400L, 600L F4, 24-105L, EFS10-22, 8-15L, 50 1.8, 85 1.8, Tokina 17-35, 580 EX II (2), EF1.4 II Extender
WWW.Runningwildimages.​com (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 27, 2013 17:38 |  #20

Haribo wrote in post #16484822 (external link)
$75 for 12... ouch

I use the copperhill kit - 1 pack of pecpads has lasted me years (you can cut them in to quarters).

the Copperhill kit is good or the Amazon kit with pec pads and eclipse fluid

Frodge
Goldmember
3,080 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 27, 2013 18:22 |  #21

seall wrote in post #16484824 (external link)

Do they manually wet swab them?

I've been told they use some sort of pen.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,080 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 27, 2013 18:29 |  #22

I'm a careful guy. I've worked on small hardware for two decades. The pec pads definitively leave more behind than what you start with. It becomes an exercise in futility. I have good eyesight too, so that makes matters worse. Fibers get caught on the edges. Spots get moved from one spot to the next etc. It's a system where you have to sonit many times to become an expert at it. I would rather someone come out with a system with disposable one use pens. You shouldn't have to practice, practice, practice to clean dust specs off a plastic filter.
It should be more simplistic of an exercise.

GeoffSobering
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 27, 2013 18:44 as a reply to  @ Frodge's post |  #23

aliengin wrote in post #16475566 (external link)
Ha! OK, after you clean it wait a few minutes to dry and use rocket blower to dust off those tiny fibers. They are not dust, they are the fibers from the swab and they clean way easy all you have to do gently blow it do now use a powerful blower.

That's been my experience too. I find that after swabbing I need to brush the left-behind bits.

http://moving-target-photos.com/ (external link) - My Stuff

CaPpedDoG
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 27, 2013 23:09 |  #24

jay125 wrote in post #16484797 (external link)
Just out of curiosity, do you have a rocket blower? Like a giottos rocket blower? I found that most of the crap on my sensor was removed by using the rocket blower first.

My advice, grab a rocket blower, order up some more pec pads, take a deep breath and try again. You really aren't alone in this, we have all done this, with the same frustration. Truly what you have in that corner is an easy clean.

Check this (external link) for the rocket blower. Very inexpensive and very handy to have around.

Okay, so I've gotten it pretty clean. A few spots left but nothing major. I ended up using pec pads (that I ordered with the first set of Sensor Swabs). I used the plastic sticks from the Sensor Swabs and wrapped the pec pads around them. They seem to work even better than the actual Sensor Swabs! Or maybe it's just that I'm getting the technique down. I have a question regarding 2 spots though that will not budge! I know one of them has been there since I bought my 5D3 brand new. They are very small but they just won't budge (after like 30 swabs :oops:) Do I need to use something other than Eclipse fluid?

Cheers

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,383 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2007

Nov 27, 2013 23:12 |  #25

Sometimes I wish for the simpler days of "darkroom dust". :)

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

Frodge
Goldmember
3,080 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 27, 2013 23:50 |  #26

CaPpedDoG wrote in post #16485601 (external link)
Okay, so I've gotten it pretty clean. A few spots left but nothing major. I ended up using pec pads (that I ordered with the first set of Sensor Swabs). I used the plastic sticks from the Sensor Swabs and wrapped the pec pads around them. They seem to work even better than the actual Sensor Swabs! Or maybe it's just that I'm getting the technique down. I have a question regarding 2 spots though that will not budge! I know one of them has been there since I bought my 5D3 brand new. They are very small but they just won't budge (after like 30 swabs :oops:) Do I need to use something other than Eclipse fluid?

Cheers

I honestly think it gets to the point where you leave one or two tiny specs alone and clone them out with software or dust delete data. It's shoveling proverbial **** into the tide.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 28, 2013 03:46 |  #27

seall wrote in post #16484824 (external link)

Frodge wrote in post #16485057 (external link)
I've been told they use some sort of pen.

That's what I used to use - the Lenspen Sensorklear (external link). I'd give it a good blast with a Rocket Blower first, then I once-over with the pen got rid of the smeary stuff.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

PaulB
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 28, 2013 05:32 |  #28

hollis_f wrote in post #16485878 (external link)
That's what I used to use - the Lenspen Sensorklear (external link). I'd give it a good blast with a Rocket Blower first, then I once-over with the pen got rid of the smeary stuff.

I'll second that technique.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,080 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 28, 2013 06:24 |  #29

hollis_f wrote in post #16485878 (external link)

What so you use now?

Clockwork ­ Frog
46 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Nov 28, 2013 06:43 |  #30

I tend to ignore all but the most serious dust spots and only swab clean my sensors if they get very visibly dusty. Otherwise you end up chasing every last speck of dust on the sensor, viewfinder, focus screen and lens. It's like chasing your tail. Cloning out/ dust delete data, etc., only takes a moment or two and maintains your sanity.

Some cameras. Some lenses.
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,598 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cleaning Sensor Question :(
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.