Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 20:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D or 5D MIII

Matrim33
268 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 27, 2013 20:46 |  #1

Sorry to rehash what a ton of people have already talked about, and I have read around a lot. I just wanted to apply my position and see what you all thought.

Right now I am using a T4i for my hobby of taking photos and product photography for my business. I have recently started to take a few family photos for print, and it looks like I will be doing more. I am business owner and do not want to become a full time photographer, but I think I would like to do some work on the side with photography. So far I have been well received with the people I have taken pictures for and I am able to not charge much as I don't rely on the money to make a living.

My thought has always been to wait a while to see if this gets profitable, and if it does get a 5D MIII. I think I am at the point where I can see that I can make some money here on the side, but I'm not ready to blow so much money on a 5D.

Then came a great deal for a 6D with a 24-105 L lens for a bit more than 2k with a printer included... (adorama) This is a great deal for FF. I have read all the reviews and feel like I know both cameras very well. My biggest concern with the 6D is the AF.

HAs anybody tried both cameras and can give any details about the AF differences with both? If I am shooting a wedding, or portraits, will it be a big problem?

I always wanted a 5D with good glass and was envisioning spending around $5k. $2k is much cheaper and I don't want to miss this opportunity if I decide that this camera would handle my needs.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

sponsored links
kevinstinks
241 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 27, 2013 20:50 |  #2

I would definitely jump to full frame for portraits. Skip the 24-105 and get an L series prime instead. 6D or 5D? Idk. That's a great question :) get one of them though, you won't regret it.

5DIII, 24L f/1.4 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 

sourcehill
481 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 27, 2013 20:53 |  #3

I don't own a 5d3 but have used one a bunch. I own a 6d. They are WORLDS apart. The 5d3 auto-focus is MIND-BLOWING. It's the only feature I wish the 6d had.

It's not that the AF is bad on any modern DSLR, they should all be quick and fairly accurate. The 5d3 just takes it to a whole other level.

I like gear and I have too much.
Check out my current work on Instagram @immichaelcarmen
redwoodandrye.com

I ­ Love ­ Cats
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 27, 2013 20:56 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Did you consider renting a 6D with lens for a week or so? That would let YOU know how well it fulfills YOUR needs. Just to cover my 2 cents worth, I have a 60D and a 5D. I don't think the 6D is much of an upgrade for either one of them. If I were to go with a 6D for the low-light performance, I'd still need to get the 70D for the better AF system. For that kind of money, I can get the 5DIII. The 5DIII is a serious upgrade to both my current cameras.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 28, 2013 04:50 |  #5

Matrim33 wrote in post #16485386 (external link)
Sorry to rehash what a ton of people have already talked about, and I have read around a lot. I just wanted to apply my position and see what you all thought.

Right now I am using a T4i for my hobby of taking photos and product photography for my business. I have recently started to take a few family photos for print, and it looks like I will be doing more. I am business owner and do not want to become a full time photographer, but I think I would like to do some work on the side with photography. So far I have been well received with the people I have taken pictures for and I am able to not charge much as I don't rely on the money to make a living.

My thought has always been to wait a while to see if this gets profitable, and if it does get a 5D MIII. I think I am at the point where I can see that I can make some money here on the side, but I'm not ready to blow so much money on a 5D.

Then came a great deal for a 6D with a 24-105 L lens for a bit more than 2k with a printer included... (adorama) This is a great deal for FF. I have read all the reviews and feel like I know both cameras very well. My biggest concern with the 6D is the AF.

HAs anybody tried both cameras and can give any details about the AF differences with both? If I am shooting a wedding, or portraits, will it be a big problem?

I always wanted a 5D with good glass and was envisioning spending around $5k. $2k is much cheaper and I don't want to miss this opportunity if I decide that this camera would handle my needs.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I think for family events. weddings, portraits, etc. the 6D will be fine. If you were to get into shooting sports professionally then the 5D3 might be more appropriate

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 28, 2013 04:57 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

watt100 wrote in post #16485912 (external link)
I think for family events. weddings, portraits, etc. the 6D will be fine. If you were to get into shooting sports professionally then the 5D3 might be more appropriate

I won't explain myself again, but the above statement is just wrong (I have no other way to put it).

A good, sophisticated AF system isn't reserved for sports shooting. It greatly benefits family events, weddings and portraits too...

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

masberg24
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 28, 2013 05:28 |  #7

kin2son wrote in post #16485920 (external link)
I won't explain myself again, but the above statement is just wrong (I have no other way to put it).

A good, sophisticated AF system isn't reserved for sports shooting. It greatly benefits family events, weddings and portraits too...

Relax..it's not that it's wrong. The 6D is great for those things, you have to know the 5d III isn't mainly for sports it's just a lot better at all those things. Take it easy bro.

http:// …http://Instagram.com/s​amsrhee (external link)

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 28, 2013 08:50 |  #8

... getting ready to grab the popcorn ;)

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 28, 2013 09:08 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Smart money is on the 6D.
Speaking from a Portrait Fashion Landscape perspective ..
The 5D MK III does not offer enuff for me to upgrade from 5D MK II

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

mattpugs
619 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 28, 2013 09:14 |  #10

kin2son wrote in post #16485920 (external link)

Couldn't agree more...I love the auto focus of my 5D3 during weddings and receptions.

Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 100mm 2.8 | Canon 135mm f/2L

monkey44
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 28, 2013 09:47 |  #11

Lots of mixed messages here -- some folks say stay with the CF for sports, and the fast AF ...

Some say go with the 5DM3 because it will do everything better ... but, the CF is better for wildlife?

SO, that becomes very confusing - more likely, those that 'like' a camera probably own one or the other, and we can usually make that camera work for what we need in the field. Well, unless what we need is very top end image quality -- Often, it comes down to budget.

One thing I've read often, the 5DM3 AF system is not quick enough for sports - it 'roots around looking for focus" ... I have not shot one, this comment is only based in reading that comment in several reviews. So, jump out there, those that own it ... FF has it's uses, CF has it's uses, but it seems either one will do lots of different kinds of product. ANd only on the very ends of each spectrum (FF wide, or CF reach) will they collide.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,311 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 28, 2013 10:13 |  #12

I do have both and I like them both for different things. The AF on the 5D MkIII is indeed better. No question there. It will also AF at f8, while the 6D will not. That's important if you ever intend to use Canon TCs. (That said, the Kenko TC will allow f8 AF on the 6D.)

The best advice I can give is that if you can afford the extra ~$1000 or so for the 5D MkIII, get it. You'll be giving up wifi, GPS, and Multi-shot Noise Reduction, but you'll be gaining a better, more versatile AF system as well as more configuration options. On the other hand, if spending that extra ~$1000 is going to really hurt and/or keep you from buying some good glass, then seriously consider the 6D. For what the OP says he primarily shoots, it'll be fine.

I don't shoot weddings, but if I did I think I'd rather use the 6D just for its superior low light/high ISO capabilities. When I shoot indoor events I use the 6D for just that reason.

Mark J.
Gear

Alnitak
152 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 28, 2013 10:21 |  #13

Been in the same boat for awhile. The 6d delivers images on par with the 5D3, with low noise and high ISO performance as good as a camera nearly twice the price.

For people wanting the "crop advantage" AND full-frame awesomeness, we can have the 6d AND a 7d or 70d for less than a 5d3, so it doesn't have to be "either/or" anymore. FF AND crop!! Thank you Canon!

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,399 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 28, 2013 10:37 |  #14

M_Six wrote in post #16486351 (external link)
I do have both and I like them both for different things. The AF on the 5D MkIII is indeed better. No question there. It will also AF at f8, while the 6D will not. That's important if you ever intend to use Canon TCs. (That said, the Kenko TC will allow f8 AF on the 6D.)

The best advice I can give is that if you can afford the extra ~$1000 or so for the 5D MkIII, get it. You'll be giving up wifi, GPS, and Multi-shot Noise Reduction, but you'll be gaining a better, more versatile AF system as well as more configuration options. On the other hand, if spending that extra ~$1000 is going to really hurt and/or keep you from buying some good glass, then seriously consider the 6D. For what the OP says he primarily shoots, it'll be fine.

I don't shoot weddings, but if I did I think I'd rather use the 6D just for its superior low light/high ISO capabilities. When I shoot indoor events I use the 6D for just that reason.

Till ISo6400 I don't see any difference. Even higher we talking 1/2 stop or less. To me AF is more important.

I would recommend 6d. Buy some nice glass. And making money on the side all sounds good but hard to do. :)

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 28, 2013 10:38 as a reply to  @ M_Six's post |  #15

Thank you all for the advice. It seems that it all boils down to AF... For now I have decided to get the 6D. If I am able to scratch out a decent side income then maybe I can get the 5D later. I just can't justify the leap from Rebel to 5D yet, and this deal is too good to pass on.

For anybody looking to get a 6D, after looking at prices a lot I don't think you can do better than Adorama's deal right now:

http://www.adorama.com​/ICA6DKHS2.html (external link)

$2084 after rebate, and I got 4% cashback with my cc and fatwallet. No tax and free shipping where I am.

What you get:

Canon EOS-6D DSLR Camera
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens
32GB Card
Camera Bag
Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Inkjet Printer
Canon 8.5x11" Photo Paper Pro Luster 50 Sheets

Even if I change my mind in the next week I'm sure I could sell everything and at least break even.

This guy also helped persuade me:
http://www.dustinabbot​t.net …n-eos-6d-over-a-5d-mkiii/ (external link)

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

sponsored links

2,481 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D or 5D MIII
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.