Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 00:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Elinchrom Ranger Lithium Battery

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 27, 2013 14:23 |  #16

For safety's sake, it wouldn't be a bad idea, Sheldon, to update the placard on the side of the battery box.

sponsored links
Sheldon ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,163 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 27, 2013 15:58 |  #17

Excellent idea Dave. I have a skull and crossbones sticker that would be perfect. :)

My flickr (external link) | Gear + Feedback

windpig
Chopped liver
14,919 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 27, 2013 16:06 |  #18

Beauty Sheldon.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,622 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 27, 2013 21:12 |  #19

Yeah Elinchrom vouches for the panasonic battery being safe for travel in their documentation here:
http://www.theflashcen​tre.com …rous_goods_15_0​2_05-1.pdf (external link)

So i think the Panasonic was standard.

idamien
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 28, 2013 00:41 |  #20

Sheldon N wrote in post #16483765 (external link)
Thanks guys!

Yes, same voltage. Part number is in the link, added it to the description as well.

:oops: Fixed that.

That would be cool if you could get one to work. I didn't see one that was the right voltage/size. Let us know what you find.

I don't think there's any reason to worry. The max current draw on the battery is specified at 30A. The fuse on the Ranger battery is a 40A fuse, so the actual current draw is well below the fuse rating. I discussed the application and current draw with the battery distributor when I spoke to them on the phone and they felt it was an appropriate usage. In addition, the battery has a protection circuit built in to guard against overdraw.

I know the fuse is only 40A but it's a really slow automobile fuse, The peak of curant is up to 50A on speed mode.

Sheldon ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,163 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 28, 2013 01:44 |  #21

idamien wrote in post #16485713 (external link)
I know the fuse is only 40A but it's a really slow automobile fuse, The peak of curant is up to 50A on speed mode.

Source of information?

idamien
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 28, 2013 07:13 |  #22

Sheldon N wrote in post #16485794 (external link)
Source of information?

I'm technician and I've measured these current.
Did you have already test the battery at full power flash and speed charge mode?
If the time of charge is the same as the lead Battery, that mean that the current is too high for this LiIon Battery.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Nov 28, 2013 07:58 |  #23

idamien wrote in post #16486044 (external link)
I'm technician and I've measured these current.
Did you have already test the battery at full power flash and speed charge mode?
If the time of charge is the same as the lead Battery, that mean that the current is too high for this LiIon Battery.

I guess that would depend on how you interpret "too high", wouldn't it? The warning you pointed out in a previous post referred to using the battery for engine starting application where the current draw really is high. Are you implying that charging a strobe capacitor draws the same amount of current for the same duration as starting an engine?

BTW, did you read the OP in full? Because he already stated that he tested the battery at full power in speed mode.

...Leo

Sheldon ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,163 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 28, 2013 10:27 |  #24

idamien wrote in post #16486044 (external link)

Yes, ran through a full battery at speed charge mode and full power flash. 300 consecutive full power flashes without issue.

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 28, 2013 12:17 |  #25

Nice write-up!

Hope these stay around for a while.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,913 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 28, 2013 12:21 |  #26

just a point of awareness...

Folks, keep in mind that the nature of the lithium ion rechargeable battery is to begin to deteriorate the lithium battery's anode from the date of manufacturer, regardless of the lightness/heaviness of usage. Three years, start to plan on replacing the battery.

Current lithium-ion batteries use an anode made of graphite. When you charge the battery quickly, the lithium ions can plate on the anode, forming projections that if they get long enough, they can touch other battery components, creating a short circuit that will make the battery fail.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Sheldon ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,163 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 28, 2013 13:02 |  #27

The specs on the Stark Power page indicate an expected lifespan of 3,000 charge cycles and 10 calendar years.

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 28, 2013 13:44 |  #28

Sheldon N wrote in post #16486699 (external link)
The specs on the Stark Power page indicate an expected lifespan of 3,000 charge cycles and 10 calendar years.

So your Stark battery will be approaching EOL just about the time Elinchrom announces their lithium pack for the Ranger.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,919 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 28, 2013 14:32 |  #29

tetrode wrote in post #16486771 (external link)
So your Stark battery will be approaching EOL just about the time Elinchrom announces their lithium pack for the Ranger.

Is that Swiss time?:cool:

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

johnbellerose
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 28, 2013 14:50 |  #30

windpig wrote in post #16486844 (external link)
Is that Swiss time?:cool:

Doesn't work with Profoto.

John Bellerose
www.johnbellerose.com (external link)

sponsored links

50,505 views & 5 likes for this thread
Elinchrom Ranger Lithium Battery
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.