Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 25 Nov 2013 (Monday) 21:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Under Exposed Sunrise

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 26, 2013 17:17 |  #16

The comments in this thread about preserving detail in the sun have provided me much amusement. THE SUN !

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,700 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 26, 2013 22:45 |  #17

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #16482271 (external link)
The comments in this thread about preserving detail in the sun have provided me much amusement. THE SUN !

I never said preserving detail. But you can retain the color and shape of a setting sun.

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 28, 2013 22:53 |  #18

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #16482271 (external link)

it all depends on weather condition .sometimes at sunrise and sunset it is possible to shoot sun and sun will not appear over blown .such weather
condition occur only few times a year .Those who live in coastal areas where there is high humidity must have noticed it. it is really not possible
to predict when it will happen . usually you can guess it right just 10 to 15 minutes before the sunset .

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,865 posts
Gallery: 269 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 28, 2013 23:51 |  #19

wwilson101 wrote in post #16482054 (external link)
Do you know any techniques to get good shots when shooting into the sun? (in camera, lens or filter?

You can try a graduated neutral density filter (GND filter).

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 29, 2013 13:35 |  #20

gonzogolf wrote in post #16482891 (external link)
I never said preserving detail. But you can retain the color and shape of a setting sun.

No--you're right. I was being somewhat silly and glib. It just reminded me of the seemingly relentless critique of other photos by many that seems to treat true whites or true blacks in a scene as somehow unacceptable. I happen to think that in this case, for this photo, exposing for the sun and keeping its shape would reduce the image to a nice orb shape surrounded by black--ie., all of the important contextual detail would be lost. Not to say that the photo works as is, though.

nittaya wrote in post #16487549 (external link)
it all depends on weather condition .sometimes at sunrise and sunset it is possible to shoot sun and sun will not appear over blown .such weather
condition occur only few times a year .Those who live in coastal areas where there is high humidity must have noticed it. it is really not possible
to predict when it will happen . usually you can guess it right just 10 to 15 minutes before the sunset .

I feel like I saw an example photo that disappeared from the thread. It indeed had detail preserved in the sun with some actual context ! I stand corrected !

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

MDiCola
39 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 29, 2013 13:37 |  #21

i think the first one may have worked a little bit better in a horizontal orientation, the bottom of the picture does not really do much for the shot

sponsored links

1,645 views & 0 likes for this thread
Under Exposed Sunrise
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.