Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Nov 2013 (Thursday) 18:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

After 2 years, only one measly sale

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 29, 2013 22:01 |  #16

Check out Jeff Cable's blog (external link) for inspiration. I don't know how many of his photo's he sells, but he does get to travel around the world for his job (Lexar) and does much of his shooting at night. Might give you some ideas, I know that he's an inspiration to me.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

sponsored links
drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 30, 2013 00:47 |  #17

Dan Marchant wrote in post #16489449 (external link)
How many hits per day does your site get? What are you doing to increase that number?

Making a thread here and asking for people to view the site ;)

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

pmack
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 30, 2013 06:37 |  #18

Haha, well a bit of truth in that too.
I usually get almost zero views if I am not posting, like 5 visitors! My most over was only 226 views.
Then yesterday of course I got a bump from this, like 70 visitors.
And no "new followers", and no new likes on facebook! (come on they're in my sig :p )

So yeah I've done very little. Apart from my presence on a few forums (very little presence), I only get myself out there with facebook mostly, I plan on working on that one, i.e offer a free ready to hang print etc

I also signed up to twitter yesterday, no idea about that but might as well give it a shot:
https://twitter.com/Ca​pturedAbroad (external link)

Captured Abroad - Travel Photography Blog - Images from an overland journey (external link)
Captured Abroad - Facebook page - "like" for highlights from my blog (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,523 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 30, 2013 11:26 |  #19

Are you selling to the general public, or people who were on the trip with you? If the GP, then I'm not surprised, because I don't see any EXIF info in the image I checked & a keyword search won't find your images. And ...

pmack wrote in post #16487201 (external link)
I've been on a 2 year backpacking trip and near the start of it I set up a blog to share the images,

IMO, your best market is people who were on the trip with you. So they get to see the images & the immediacy factor is gone when...

and then perhaps 6 months later i set up a zenfolio account so that people could directly purchase the images.

I've sold one tiny print.

6 months later, "life" has already passed by your event. It's almost last years news.

The images are way too high resolution, about 300ppi, so I'm guessing that they've already printed them if they wanted a small print, because that's what they might carry around with them.
And your watermark is very subtle & not big enough to discourage printing from the blog.

pmack wrote in post #16489956 (external link)
I also signed up to twitter yesterday, no idea about that but might as well give it a shot:
https://twitter.com/Ca​pturedAbroad (external link)

It looks to me as if you're lost in the crowd there.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

pmack
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 30, 2013 12:40 |  #20

PhotosGuy wrote in post #16490416 (external link)
Are you selling to the general public, or people who were on the trip with you?

Well I'd prefer to make money from strangers, the market for people i met is tiny, plus most like me are cheap backpackers, not package tourists happier to spend money for decoration.

PhotosGuy wrote in post #16490416 (external link)
If the GP, then I'm not surprised, because I don't see any EXIF info in the image I checked & a keyword search won't find your images. And ...
IMO, your best market is people who were on the trip with you. So they get to see the images & the immediacy factor is gone when...

Not correct. My images are searchable due to the file names I've given them, and the content in the blog including the captions and alt text.
Eg: If you search for "FLAG BURNING Beijing" in google image search my picture of a military/police dude standing next to a fire extinguisher is one of the first results

Captured Abroad - Travel Photography Blog - Images from an overland journey (external link)
Captured Abroad - Facebook page - "like" for highlights from my blog (external link)

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 30, 2013 13:05 |  #21

I haven't read every single reply to this thread, but I would recommend making a book of your travels and I think would increase your chances of making some sales. Hard to sell individual images but when a whole collection is put on display and shows a nice story, will attract more people. Something to think about.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,300 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 30, 2013 16:37 |  #22

To my eyes, your pictures are generally very good but not great. I'm cheap enough that I will only buy true excellence. That boils down to "Even if I had been there I wouldn't have come way with that shot."

Perhaps others have the same difficult standard. Tony Stark, post above, may have the idea that raises you beyond the crowd. Even if your image is just decent, the story can make it great.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 30, 2013 17:34 |  #23

Aside from not clearly showing your images are for sale and go knows how you expect people will happen upon your website in the first place... WHY would anyone buy them? WHAT is going to stop someone and make them think I must have that image... nothing at all IMHO.

You thought you could just stick a blog of your travels up there and the cash would come rolling in? Guess what everyone and their uncle's dog can do that these days... furthermore the telling the world part what they are up to etc many just do on facebook.

You are trying to sell an average product in the eyes of the public as it is something they can see in many different places (think even a holiday brochure), without even telling people it is for sale and just hoping they find it... think about that for a moment. You'd have been more successful opening setting up a shop in an outhouse shed in the middle of a small remote village that no outsiders ever visit.

Peter

autoidiodyssey
202 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 30, 2013 19:44 |  #24

Keywording has been mentioned. Are you putting the photos on sites other than your site and Facebook? To have any success with passive marketing, putting them out there and hoping people see them, you need to get them out where people will find them. Sites like Flickr are good for that.

I have a similar passive "marketing" strategy at this point. I shoot motorsports so I have the chance of a driver googling their name and finding my pics. That has led to a few sales. The big sales I have had, one deal with a clothing company and two magazine covers, came through the pics being seen on Flickr.

I would suggest keywording the hell out of the photos, if they are not already, and put them on Flickr. Make sure your profile on Flickr has your site info on it. You can also add a link to your site in the description for each photo.

pmack
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 30, 2013 19:55 |  #25

Peter, I posted this topic hoping for tips that might help me sell some images. Instead you seem to have responded in a, well lets just say incredibly negative way. As you should have figured from my initial post, and the fact that I've done very little promotion in the few years, earning money from this was never a priority. This is my hobby and positive feedback is my main reward, that of which I usually get plenty. Until this topic of course. Take your wedding photography elsewhere thanks.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 30, 2013 20:22 |  #26

pmack wrote in post #16491400 (external link)
Peter, I posted this topic hoping for tips that might help me sell some images. Instead you seem to have responded in a, well lets just say incredibly negative way. As you should have figured from my initial post, and the fact that I've done very little promotion in the few years, earning money from this was never a priority. This is my hobby and positive feedback is my main reward, that of which I usually get plenty. Until this topic of course. Take your wedding photography elsewhere thanks.

If you only want answers you want to hear and be mollycoddled I suggest not posting on a public forum...

I posed you some very pertinent questions... as harsh as they were put I think you really need the reality check. Anyone with a camera who slaps the word photographer after their name can get compliments these days. Just spend 2 minutes on facebook is enough to confirm that. Compliments on images is meaningless on its own.

Why are people going to buy your images has been mentioned time and time again on this thread... do you know who your target market are? How do you expect to reach them? How are you going to convert their interest into sales?

Getting positive feedback and making sales are often worlds apart. When someone has to put their money where their mouth is in buying photography the value of compliments means very little. They have to see enough value in something to want to buy it. Liking something is effortless and assumes no cost on the behalf of someone doing it. Buying something however means they have to make a decision on buying what you have to sell over everything else they would spend their money on in life.

The very title of your thread summed up the notion of entitlement that in someway you deserved more than you had got results wise so far... "After 2 years, only one measly sale".

Peter

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,307 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 30, 2013 22:02 |  #27

After looking at all the photos from China and Mongolia on the page at your link, I believe you shouldn't try to sell to individuals. The market for images like these is commercial. It might include travel-related businesses, magazines, and websites; tourist bureaus; and publications that want cross-cultural material, such as illustrations of non-Western family life.

Be careful about spelling in keywords. I saw a few mistakes that would keep searchers from finding you.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

pmack
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 01, 2013 04:47 |  #28

autoidiodyssey, thanks i did consider Flickr, but it just seems like such a big love in with everyone posting things like "wow this photo's amazing and is featured on our S.O.T.W page, three gold medals!" and other cheesy stuff. The main reason I don't put the keywords in my images is that my main way of saving the resized images is "resize for web". One reason i do this is that with the normal "save", I can't seem to get the image in sRGB. Only when i use the 'resize for web', and the batch script image processing (for my zenfolio full size images) do i get sRGB... Should probably look at that as it means my images on my zenfolio have no tagging information, which is a bit of a waste of potential SEO results.
OhLook, interesting i didn't notice any spelling errors.

autoidiodyssey
202 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 01, 2013 09:38 |  #29

pmack wrote in post #16492166 (external link)
autoidiodyssey, thanks i did consider Flickr, but it just seems like such a big love in with everyone posting things like "wow this photo's amazing and is featured on our S.O.T.W page, three gold medals!" and other cheesy stuff. The main reason I don't put the keywords in my images is that my main way of saving the resized images is "resize for web". One reason i do this is that with the normal "save", I can't seem to get the image in sRGB. Only when i use the 'resize for web', and the batch script image processing (for my zenfolio full size images) do i get sRGB... Should probably look at that as it means my images on my zenfolio have no tagging information, which is a bit of a waste of potential SEO results.
OhLook, interesting i didn't notice any spelling errors.

You only end up with those cheesy gold metal comments if you put your photos into groups that do that sort of thing. I've got 7300 photos on there and only one or two ended up with a bunch of medals and crap in the comments. They were both invited into groups that did that sort of thing. There are plenty of groups that your work would fit into that don't do that sort of thing.

Flickr is a really good way to get eyeballs on your photos. You won't get thousands of views right away. But over time if you do a little work, I mean very little, you can build an audience there.

You really need to get the keywording sorted out first though. That is really the key to getting your photos found. Around 70% of my views on Flickr in a given day come from people searching on Flickr for a particular term. Doesn't mean I am going to make any money, but you never know which set of eyeballs is going to want to pay to use one of your photos. People who need to purchase photos do look to Flickr as a source.

Like I said before all of the "big" sales that I have had, "big" being a relative term meaning three to four figures in my case, have come from people seeing my photos on Flickr. You won't get rich this way, or even be able to quit your day job. But since the photos are already taken any money you get at this point is kind of a bonus. The sales I had this year from Flickr were of photos I took in 2010 and 2011.

ryanshoots
344 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 01, 2013 10:56 as a reply to  @ post 16489449 |  #30

I would go over to dp review and look up skiphunt. He does travel photography and sells prints to the masses. He blogs and does other things online to stir interest and drive traffic to his sites.

Just blogging with nice images and a link to a sale site is not enough. Just check Skip out and you'll see what I mean.

You have some great photos, but I wonder if they are what people are buying to hang on a wall. Contrast that to what Skip sells.

sponsored links

8,395 views & 0 likes for this thread
After 2 years, only one measly sale
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.