Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 30 Nov 2013 (Saturday) 09:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Extra flash on an SX50

NixEre
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Gallery: 151 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Nov 30, 2013 09:13 |  #1

Enjoying my SX50 - seriously complicated trying to fathom out all the options.

Anyone added a flash ? The on camera one is okay but not very flexible. I tried with my old Canon flashes which work well but double the size of the kit, which seems to lose the point of having a bridge camera! :( Any small flashes with a directional head that people like ?

___
Nic
One day I'll take the photo I thought I had taken ...

sponsored links
I ­ Love ­ Cats
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 30, 2013 10:51 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I think the 430EX II is the best Canon option. At least it is capable of 0-90 degrees of elevation and 270 degrees of rotation. None of the lower options do either. Perhaps another brand offers something useful.

sbumps
473 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 30, 2013 12:03 |  #3

Canon Speedlite 270EXII Flash. It doesn't rotate but it will tilt up 90 degrees.
I have use this flash on the sx50 and it works great.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 30, 2013 12:05 |  #4

Actually the only Canon Speedlite that doesn't offer bounce is the Speedlite 90EX, designed for the EOS M. The Speedlite 320EX offers 90 deg. vertical and 270 deg. horizontal rotation. The 270EX and 270EX II both offer 90 deg. vertical elevation. All are significantly smaller than the 430EX II. The 270EX II and 320 EX also act as wireless E-TTL slaves when used with a master like the 580EX, 600 EX, ST-E2 or ST-E3

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

NixEre
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 01, 2013 04:15 |  #5

Thanks. Didn't realise the 270EX had vertical tip - it's mostly bouncing off ceilings that I like. Back on the list !

___
Nic

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 01, 2013 09:50 |  #6

I have the 270EX; got it for my SX1. I'm tempted by the 270EX II since I'd like the remote capabilities. I don't particularly want the 90EX even though I have an M, since I have the ST-E2 if I want to use a master, but a small slave is always handy.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

PapaGary
515 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 01, 2013 10:59 |  #7

Canon Direct has a refurbished 270 EX II for $115.59 with free shipping. I sure like mine.

Link (external link)

dicklaxt
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 02, 2013 03:35 as a reply to  @ PapaGary's post |  #8

I know absolutely nothing about flash networks can someone post a block diagram of how it might go together or provide a link to such.

dick

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 02, 2013 10:32 |  #9

Canon talks about it (with E-TTL wireless using Canon Speedlites) on pp. 15-27 of the Speedlite 90EX manual (external link). Getting into off-camera multiflash will run you at least $300 (master/controller and slave flash units; you can't use the built-in flash in combination with other E-TTL flash units, although you can use it if you want to set and adjust the lights positioning and output for correct exposure manually).

Interestingly, the Speedlite 90 seems to offer the capabilities of the ST-E2 E-TTL controller, plus allowing three groups of off-camera flash, for about $200 less than the ST-E2.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 02, 2013 12:57 |  #10

430 EX works great on my SX50.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 03, 2013 22:05 |  #11

Jon wrote in post #16490496 (external link)
Actually the only Canon Speedlite that doesn't offer bounce is the Speedlite 90EX, designed for the EOS M. The Speedlite 320EX offers 90 deg. vertical and 270 deg. horizontal rotation. The 270EX and 270EX II both offer 90 deg. vertical elevation. All are significantly smaller than the 430EX II. The 270EX II and 320 EX also act as wireless E-TTL slaves when used with a master like the 580EX, 600 EX, ST-E2 or ST-E3

Actually the predecessor (220ex) to the 270ex has a fixed head as well. I just parted with one and they are very nice flashes btw. It worked flawlessly with an sx1 and sx10 that we have and perfect size.

The 220ex has a true focus beam and uses four AA batteries as well.

A comparison can be found HERE (external link).

Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 04, 2013 17:20 |  #12

Since the 220EX is long discontinued, I didn't include it. I also omitted the 550EX as a master since it's equally long-gone.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 04, 2013 19:40 |  #13

Jon wrote in post #16501923 (external link)
Since the 220EX is long discontinued, I didn't include it. I also omitted the 550EX as a master since it's equally long-gone.

I wasn't trying to start a debate Jon but simply correcting a statement you made that is factually incorrect. I'm in the same boat as the OP and am familiar with many of these flashes.

BTW, the 220ex isn't that long out of production (4yrs) and I would assume you didn't mention the 550ex, much less it's Master ability, because it would be ridiculously large & heavy (having owned many) on a PowerShot series camera.

The OP's criteria was... "...Any small flashes with a directional head that people like ?"

The 220ex works flawlessly on the PowerShot series camera and is still readily available. I sold ours simply because I want to give the 320ex a shot. The OP may want to consider that as well due to it meeting his specific criteria.

It is more powerful than the 270ex (I & II) and has both swivel as well as tilt ability. HERE (external link).

God Bless,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

NixEre
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 05, 2013 02:41 |  #14

Still scratching the old head - and came across a METZ 44 in the dandruff ... Canon dedicated, looks an okay size, good power, swivel and tilt , price is okay in comparison to Canon units. Of course probably doesn't have the slave function but that's not needed in this case. Hmmm . Christmas isn't far off :-)

___
Nic

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 05, 2013 09:07 |  #15

NixEre wrote in post #16502992 (external link)
Still scratching the old head - and came across a METZ 44 in the dandruff ... Canon dedicated, looks an okay size, good power, swivel and tilt , price is okay in comparison to Canon units. Of course probably doesn't have the slave function but that's not needed in this case. Hmmm . Christmas isn't far off :-)

Metz is my preferred flash! You get a professional grade flash with most often better features at a lesser cost.

The Metz 44af-1 does have slave mode, btw. The Canon 320ex has that ability in addition to HSS. The Metz 44af-1 doesn't have HSS though and that is a killer for me. I think the Metz may be slightly larger than the Canon 320ex as well, which would be another negative.

Good luck,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

sponsored links

4,879 views & 0 likes for this thread
Extra flash on an SX50
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.