Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Nov 2013 (Friday) 05:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The perfect travel kit, does it exist?

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 01, 2013 04:38 |  #61

Perfect is a stretch for any definition of a camera kit, but I'd get a good micro 4/3s kit like:
Olympus OM-D E-M5 (and perhaps a Panasonic GM-1 to go with it as a spare/backup/partner camera).
Olympus 9-18mm as an UWA
Panasonic 20mm 1.7 (nice 40mm equivalent pancake)
Olympus 45mm 1.8 (just a great short tele)

And depending on destination, maybe a Panasonic 45-175mm HD or something like an Olympus 60mm macro, or even a Panasonic 100-300 which is nice for wildlife.
Of course, you could consolidate the 45mm 1.8 and 60mm macro into a Panasonic/Leica 45mm f/2.8 macro.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 01, 2013 08:16 |  #62
bannedPermanent ban

Gobeatty wrote in post #16491884 (external link)
I agree :-)

It's a great camera - but loses out in the high ISO stakes and other areas such as usability as well. It was just an example of where the smaller (?) kit is at times outshined by the larger kit.

I am very drawn to to Fuji as their kit is closest to the now vintage kit I used to use, except Leica which I likely can't afford (but believe its well worth the price).

I have an X100 that I take with me when traveling for business. Great little camera that fits into my laptop case and produces really unbelievable results. Don't take too much away from people who put down the image quality that can be obtained from these compact mirrorless cameras. I make 11x14 photo books from my travels and I know you would not know which of those books were shot with my 5d2 and which were shot with my X100. That's the bottom line...

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 01, 2013 08:19 |  #63

stang67 wrote in post #16491914 (external link)
Well if one fears the camera will be "too good to be used" and that would make them feel bad about purchasing it, then they just don't purchase it. Also, while you may have spent $2000, if you sell the camera you could get most of that back depending on the item (and time you've had it etc), so I wouldn't go far as to say "you lose a piece of electronics at the end of its useful life, not 2 grand."

That's an extereme example I was giving for the sake of argument. I would not want to lose a few grand worth of L lenses at any point.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Brian500au
THREAD ­ STARTER
412 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 01, 2013 10:00 |  #64

Thank you for everybody's input, it has really given me food for thought. I will add a few extra bits to the argument though.

I am not interested in changing brands - not to say other brands don't have fantastic set ups, it is just I have invested both time and money in the canon brand over the years - both in lenses, and learning the 50+ menu options canon bodies have. I am just getting too long in the tooth to start over again.

I am also not interested in compromising in quality of the lenses. As stated I approach every opportunity as my only opportunity to take the shot - the kits needs to be reliable (and i need to be familiar with the equipment). I have already invested in quality lenses. The focal range needs to be covered and I already own a good range of "L" lenses.

Secondly in order to have the perfect travel kit you need to have it available and on hand when you travel. It does not have to be the entire arsenal you own, but I believe it should be 90% ready to walk out the door at anytime. You could be using it for other purposes but you know if you were hiking to Mt Everest base camp or sailing down the Nile in Egypt it would essentially be the same kit.

I also say the general travel kit. I stated I am a tourist who takes photos - I have not gone on a specific photography trip. Now if I did, I think it would be a different situation. If my prime purpose was to photograph lions in South Africa, or polar bears in Alaska, then I would hire the specialized equipment for that particular "expedition". Now if I was a tourist who spent a couple of days in Kruger National Park hoping to see a lion, then I would not need a specialized kit. In fact I have photographed lions with a P&S in a park next to Kruger - the pride was no more than 25 metres from our truck.

For those of you who say there is no (near) perfect photography travel kit - I disagree. I have traveled enough over the years to have my clothes packed in minutes. The only difference in back packing in Cambodia and trekking in the Himalayas, is I lose the sandals and throw in some good walking shoes and light weight down jacket. Everything else is exactly the same kit. I want to do the same with my photography kit

Given all the above I will admit there are some great suggestions in this thread. Over the weekend I went and tried out both the SL1 and the 6D. I like them both (a lot). In my original thread I listed what i thought could be the perfect kit, but I have revised it based on the below reasons (lets assume any brand equivalent - I have already stated my reasons for Canon):

Canon 6D - full frame which will mean I can use my 16-35 rather than purchase the 14mm I had planned if I used a 1.6x crop. Although heavier than the SL1 (which is insanely light) - it is lighter than my current 1DIV and still lighter than a 5 series.

Canon 16-35 f2.8 II (i own it already) and on a full frame will suffice me for inside temples and churches
Canon 24-70 f2.8 II (I own it already) and a great mid range focal length on full frame, (so sharp I could use it to peel an orange).
Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Now this is something I need to purchase, and the jury is out on this one. I have found I have never really missed this focal length when i travel on the 1.3x crop, but it may be a factor if I go full frame. Either way it is light and weighs less than the 135 + 1.4x I had originally planned. I have the 2.8 version but it is too heavy to travel with.

As it sits this kit weighs less than 3kg (6.5Ibs). If i drop the 70 - 200 lens, this kit would weigh around 2.2kg (under 5lbs). Add a small flash and my P&S back up and I think I could cover 99% of my travels and not regret my decision.

Comments?

Gear List
www.kjbphotography.com​.au (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 01, 2013 10:14 |  #65

Well, if you're sticking with canon and L lenses you have, then what you have is the perfect travel kit.

Just pick the lenses you need for each trip and if you don't lug the kit on your back all day, 5 pounds is fine. I'd go with a full frame weather sealed body if using lenses you have. If I wanted to go lighter with canon, I would go with 17-55 IS instead.

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 01, 2013 10:38 |  #66

Brian500au wrote in post #16492578 (external link)
As it sits this kit weighs less than 3kg (6.5Ibs). If i drop the 70 - 200 lens, this kit would weigh around 2.2kg (under 5lbs). Add a small flash and my P&S back up and I think I could cover 99% of my travels and not regret my decision.

Comments?

I would put it all in a bag and weigh it on a scale. I have a similar travel kit and with a Domke F3-X shoulder bag (fairly small), an extra battery and accessories, the kit comes to just under 10 lbs.

I would drop the 24-70/2.8II and replace with a 50/1.4. You get a lens useful for low-light situations and you shed about a pound of weight and unnecessary bulk as the 50mm fits in a side pocket of most bags.

Sounds good though!

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 01, 2013 10:59 |  #67

lehmanncpa wrote in post #16492640 (external link)
I would put it all in a bag and weigh it on a scale. I have a similar travel kit and with a Domke F3-X shoulder bag (fairly small), an extra battery and accessories, the kit comes to just under 10 lbs.

I would drop the 24-70/2.8II and replace with a 50/1.4. You get a lens useful for low-light situations and you shed about a pound of weight and unnecessary bulk as the 50mm fits in a side pocket of most bags.

Sounds good though!

Yeah. If I was shooting with an SLR, I'd go with the 50/1.8 and 28/2.8 or something similar. But chargers, bags, batteries and accessories add up weight.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 01, 2013 19:26 as a reply to  @ DocFrankenstein's post |  #68

I've really streamlined my travel kit options these last few months. Canon 700D, 18-135mm STM and 40mm f/2.8. Also my Canon 95s for those quick grab shots.

I remember buying a Canon 350D way back in 2005 to take with me for tripping around SE Asia. My boss wouldn't allow me to take my work issued 1D MkII or 20D out of the country (I wanted to take the 20D). Fond memories of the 350D, which I now being used by our daughter. The entry Canons have come a long way since the 350D.

I like the option of video on the 700D and the versatility of the 18-135mm STM. The 40mm f/2.8 serves as a low light lens.

I do mostly street candids, I'm very quickly leaning towards the pancake as my favourite street candid lens. Light, small, unobtrusive and for my kind of work, just about the perfect focal length. Mounted to my 700D, a nice combination.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Gobeatty
513 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 01, 2013 19:57 |  #69

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16492684 (external link)
Yeah. If I was shooting with an SLR, I'd go with the 50/1.8 and 28/2.8 or something similar. But chargers, bags, batteries and accessories add up weight.

This is worth considering. If you were considering an SL-1 and from the math you presented, I'm gathering weight is a factor. Your current plan is all zooms which are bigger and heavier for what they do, especially the 2.8 variety.

I picked up a nifty fifty for $80 with filter and do not hesitate to pop it on the 6D and head out the door. Primes are relatively cheap so may be worth a try.

If switching to primes just isn't comfortable, weight could be saved by skipping the 24-70 altogether. The 35 end of wide zoom crops to 50mm equivalent and the 70-200 has the longer lengths covered. Or bring them all (yes - your proposed set up May be just right) but on any given outing decide if the medium or tele zoom gets carried and leave the other in the hotel.

6D | 35 f2 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 28 - 135 f3.5 - 5.6 | 70-210 f4

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 01, 2013 20:17 |  #70

Gobeatty wrote in post #16493901 (external link)
If switching to primes just isn't comfortable, weight could be saved by skipping the 24-70 altogether. The 35 end of wide zoom crops to 50mm equivalent and the 70-200 has the longer lengths covered. Or bring them all (yes - your proposed set up May be just right) but on any given outing decide if the medium or tele zoom gets carried and leave the other in the hotel.

I would skip 70-200 and 16-35. The way I shoot most of the time I can do 80% of shooting with a normal lens and 98% with 24-70.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,521 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 01, 2013 20:28 |  #71

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16493946 (external link)
I would skip 70-200 and 16-35. The way I shoot most of the time I can do 80% of shooting with a normal lens and 98% with 24-70.

I'm with Doc on this one, at least somewhat.

Your original plan was 14mm + 24-70 on a 1.6X format.

Now you are thinking about a FF 6D instead, but you are giving up some of the opportunity here by adding an UWA zoom (the 16-35L) to the kit. Keep in mind that your 24-70 on FF starts with about the same FOV that the 14mm prime was going to give you on 1.6X.

Do you really need wider that 24mm (FF) or 14mm (1.6X) on travels?

The light and quick set is this:
6D, 24-70, 70-200/4.

If you really do have to have UWA (and why did you not need it on 1.6X?) then think about:
6D, 16-35, 50/1.4. 70-200/4.

IMO the three zoom set of 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 is getting a bit on the big and heavy side. If you can find a way to two lenses total, that is the best.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

chongkiat
287 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 02, 2013 07:12 |  #72

a 60D + 17-55mm f2.8 , job done

Canon 60D Gripped | Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM | Canon 85mm f1.8 USM | Canon 580exII
My Flickr (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,116 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 02, 2013 08:57 |  #73

Hogloff wrote in post #16488783 (external link)
Sure you can drag along a DSLR outfit...but why? Today's mirrorless deliver images on par with DSLR systems, yet take up and weigh 1/2 the equivalent DSLR systems. For travel, a small kit is ideal.

no doubt mirrorless can deliver the IQ, but it's also another expensive ecosystem.

the max I will tolerate is 24-70, 50, 135 (add accessories, and it's a rather heavy kit, but I love it).

I don't think mirrorless can match the quality and snappyness of that kit, for the occasional people photography. I'm sure it cant match the night photography of the 6D + 50L, just an amazing setup for night vision.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Brian500au
THREAD ­ STARTER
412 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 02, 2013 10:10 |  #74

In my own experience I feel a fixed FL when travelling limits opportunity. I always use fixed FL when doing portrait work (both studio and out in the field). This is because I can zoom with my feet, but 9 out of 10 times this is impossible when travelling for one reason or another.

A fast good quality zoom gives me options I feel are not available with a fixed FL lens. With the quality of the high ISO output in today's DSLR, I don't feel there is any situation where the speed and weight of a F1.8 lens has enough advantages over a good quality mid range zoom.

Gear List
www.kjbphotography.com​.au (external link)

genjurok
537 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 02, 2013 10:17 |  #75

I used to travel with
450D
EF-S 17-85
EF-S 55-250
Sigma 30 f/1.4

After upgraded to FF, now for me it would be
6D
24-105L (plan to buy)
70-300 IS (non-L, plan to buy)
50 f/1.8

2.2kg

6D
Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 100mm f/2
580 EX | 430 EX | Pixel King Pro wireless radio trigger and receiver (x2)

sponsored links

10,096 views & 0 likes for this thread
The perfect travel kit, does it exist?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.