Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 27 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 16:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please help me with Ballhead and Plates

kdrk888
404 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 27, 2013 16:25 |  #1

Hi Everyone,

I have the BH-30 LR ballhead with the B2-40 LR quick-release clamp (http://reallyrightstuf​f.com …t-ballhead-with-LR&key=it (external link))

I like the light weight and compactness of the RRS ballhead a lot. It's strong enough for what I do.

I have several camera bodies but only the Canon 5DIII has a RRS plate. I would like to use a universal Arca-Swiss plate with the RRS ballhead so I don't need to get a RRS custom size plate for each camera. I ordered the Manfrotto MSQ6PL Arca-Swiss type plate but it doesn’t fit the RRS B2-40 LR quick-release clamp, it’s too loose. The RRS Level Quick release clamp has very strict tolerance.

Should I get a screw knob type clamp that works with most kinds of Arca-Swiss compatible plates? If yes, any particular recommendation?

Thank in advance for any advice. For my fellow Americans, especially those serving overseas, happy Thanksgiving!

Douglas

Douglas
Canon, Nikon, Sony. Too many gears, too little time.

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,885 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 27, 2013 21:31 |  #2

If you think you will be purchasing and/or using arca style plates/accessories from many different brands and are the type that would buy cheap ones off say eBay or something, then you def need to get a screw type clamp. If you think youll stick with one brand of plate/accessory (I say save your money and go all/only RRS, this is what I do but I do understand that not all want to spend the money to go that route) then you can go with a lever clamp and never worry about compatibility issues for future purchases.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

kdrk888
THREAD ­ STARTER
404 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 27, 2013 22:08 |  #3

Thanks Ben. I read your long review on ballhead/clamp/plates yesterday. Thank you for the effort.

I may go these route:

1: Keep the RRS lever clamp, buy the RRS MPR-73 universal plate
2: Buy a RRS or Wimberley screw knob clamp, and buy the RRS universal plate or the Wimberley universal plate.

I wish there was a nice Arca Swiss plate that uses one of those D-ring screw to attach to the camera so I don't need to keep a hexkey in all different camera bags.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Douglas

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 27, 2013 22:20 |  #4

If don't want L plates the more universal RRS plates work well. I have a universal camera plate that also works as a 70-200 lens plate. You just need to not worry about exactly how it looks.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 28, 2013 08:22 |  #5

kdrk888 wrote in post #16485513 (external link)
2: Buy a RRS or Wimberley screw knob clamp, and buy the RRS universal plate or the Wimberley universal plate.

I use the Wimberley P-5 universal plate and it's excellent. Both of these clamps will work with both plates just fine.

~Peter

lance60031x
ISO composure
264 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Nov 29, 2013 13:45 |  #6

I have the 55 ball head and monopod from RSS. I have been using the following universal from pro media gear for all my camera and lens and it is rock solid.
They are even having a sale for Blk Friday. I use a quick lever on both. Highly recommended.

http://www.promediagea​r.com …Plate-3inch-Long_p_2.html (external link)

7d mii, 5d miii, 70-200 f2.8 ii, 17-40 f4, 24-70 f2.8 ii, 24-105 f4, 100 macro L, 300 f4 canon 50 1.4, canon 85 1.8, siggy 35 f1.4 siggy 50 1.4 A

peter_n
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 29, 2013 14:19 |  #7

^ I've been using this ProMediaGear plate also and it's very good. It is dimensionally the closest plate of all of my 6 different manufacturers' plates to my RRS lever QR clamp, and that includes RRS plates and L-brackets.

~Peter

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 01, 2013 14:13 |  #8

RRS now makes auto-adjusting lever clamps. Unfortunately, they still haven't made the smaller version yet. You could install one of their full sized clamps on your BH-30. This new clamp should take almost all of the Arca styled plates. The downside is that you might have clearance issues since it wasn't designed for a small ball head. It would also be a tad bit heavier than your current setup. Personally, I'd want a smaller head to be as light as possible, so I'd probably opt for a screw clamp.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,893 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 01, 2013 16:03 |  #9

kdrk888 wrote in post #16484790 (external link)
Hi Everyone,

I have the BH-30 LR ballhead with the B2-40 LR quick-release clamp (http://reallyrightstuf​f.com …t-ballhead-with-LR&key=it (external link))

I like the light weight and compactness of the RRS ballhead a lot. It's strong enough for what I do.

I have several camera bodies but only the Canon 5DIII has a RRS plate. I would like to use a universal Arca-Swiss plate with the RRS ballhead so I don't need to get a RRS custom size plate for each camera. I ordered the Manfrotto MSQ6PL Arca-Swiss type plate but it doesn’t fit the RRS B2-40 LR quick-release clamp, it’s too loose. The RRS Level Quick release clamp has very strict tolerance.

Should I get a screw knob type clamp that works with most kinds of Arca-Swiss compatible plates? If yes, any particular recommendation?

Thank in advance for any advice. For my fellow Americans, especially those serving overseas, happy Thanksgiving!

Douglas

get their newer model flip lever QR; it is adjustable. the screw knob QRS are too slow for me and with a self adjusting QR there's no need to have a slow quick release :-).

since getting the new QR I now look for generic plates instead of the pricey RRS plates. got on for my 70-300L for $10 and it works perfectly.

IMAGE: http://erader.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v103/p1868548468-3.jpg

also made a universal L plate for $60 so I won't be buying any more expensive proprietary L plates anymore. I do use a RRS plate on my 5d3 because you want one that is form fitted to avoid twist. I shoot in portrait orientation very infrequently so I don't want an expensive fixed L plate on my camera.

IMAGE: http://erader.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v110/p1722536534-3.jpg

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

kdrk888
THREAD ­ STARTER
404 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 02, 2013 04:50 |  #10

Thank you all very much for your advice.

Douglas

sponsored links

3,028 views & 0 likes for this thread
Please help me with Ballhead and Plates
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.