Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 01 Nov 2013 (Friday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ever get your gear stolen?

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 20, 2013 21:13 |  #16

Mine was homeowners; I don't know about renters insurance. I know you can get a standalone insurance policy for 12-15K worth of gear for a very reasonable rate.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

sponsored links
turmoil
144 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 21, 2013 15:12 |  #17

Good to know. I'm going to talk to my local insurance agent and see if my renter's insurance will cover the gear.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 29, 2013 12:49 |  #18

Does divorce count?

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

mark48
914 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 01, 2013 08:11 |  #19

This thread has opened my eyes. I've been lax with my record keeping and am going to make a point of documenting all of my things. Thanks.

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 02, 2013 02:37 |  #20

Yup. Broke into my house. Took lots of expensive lenses and my camera. $15k gone. Had crappy insurance that didnt cover any of it (though did get a huge tax right off which helped). Learned my lesson.

Stopped taking pictures for years. Never thought I'd be able to buy it back. .....but I have. And my pictures are better now too. Guess everything happens for a reason.

FYI I now use a home inventory program. Have pictures and recipes of everything all saved digitally. And of course serial numbers.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 02, 2013 08:35 |  #21

Xyclopx wrote in post #16494548 (external link)
FYI I now use a home inventory program. Have pictures and recipes of everything all saved digitally. And of course serial numbers.

We've had 2 huge fires sweep through eastern San Diego in 2003 and 2007, and I was running around taking pictures of everything and their serial #'s...

What home inventory program do you have? I'm definitely interested in that approach.

-Tom Dragonetti
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 02, 2013 10:16 |  #22

Tdragone wrote in post #16494909 (external link)
We've had 2 huge fires sweep through eastern San Diego in 2003 and 2007, and I was running around taking pictures of everything and their serial #'s...

What home inventory program do you have? I'm definitely interested in that approach.

I use Home Inventory Pro 2011. By reviews it seems that people like it the best and it has the most features. 3 huge problems with it:

1. It will not save data for Excel or as CVS. but I found a lame workaround: you can print to PDF with the full version of Acrobat, and then copy and paste with formatting into Excel, and that will get the data inputted correctly.

2. it appears to rename your pictures when it imports them to add to your records. makes it a tad harder to get the original picture out of archive. however, I believe I found a way to figure out which file is what.

3. it may not be in current development. kinda unclear to me. so, this might be the last version.

otherwise it works really well. i researched this stuff forever, and this program came up on top. very happy with it. ...........well, until windows 27 comes out and it no longer works and they won't give an update... ha ha.

btw..... I save its database to the cloud and to multiple harddrives. all this would be kinda useless if you lose the file in a house fire. also, a hint if you get it: its backups sometimes do not contain all the attachments you added. the attachments can be found in the program data (hidden) directory under root. need to back that up to the cloud too.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 02, 2013 10:18 |  #23

Thank you for the info.
(And I love windows 8.1....... I'm an early adopter ;)

-Tom Dragonetti
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 02, 2013 10:28 |  #24

Tdragone wrote in post #16495151 (external link)
Thank you for the info.
(And I love windows 8.1....... I'm an early adopter ;)

yeah.... I got win 8/8.1 too. though it appears Microsoft screwed themselves by making it so thin. it boots so fast that people probably don't need to upgrade computers anymore, probably contributing to low sales. but it works really well.

.....another great reason to use inventory programs: it makes generating a list to-be-insured so much easier. my camera inventory is > 200 items. it's insane looking at all the stupid little things you buy, and how much they add up. anyway, I give a 5 page list to my insurance company to insure. Everything I got is insured, down to little $10 items--anything associated with photography. so, if I get hit by thieves again, I don't lose my small fortune.

and lastly to deal with the thieves themselves: get security. I used adp? and they were great. cheap and react SUPER fast (like within 30s-1min I get a call). I hope the thieves who took my old stuff burn in hell for multiple eternities. I worked hard for that stuff. they have no heart.

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 02, 2013 10:51 |  #25

Yes; I'm still saving up for the small items I didn't have receipts for.. like all my gnd filters and second flash I bought from craigslist.. Note to those reading this thread... DOCUMENT your gear now and email it to yourself or save it in the cloud so if your computer is also stolen... you don't lose it too!

-Tom Dragonetti
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

sponsored links

3,031 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ever get your gear stolen?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.