Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Dec 2013 (Sunday) 19:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The right body makes lenses shine?

thirtyfivefifty
197 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 01, 2013 19:35 |  #1

I don't desire new lenses. Had a couple on the 40D that I loved (17-55) and hated (85.8). When I moved to the 5D2, I returned to the focal lengths I liked to shoot on film with the 50L (love), and 35L (learned to love equally).

The thing with the 40D and 5D2, I hated handling the files. People say image quality rests on lenses (I had the best, no excuses), lighting (became more aware), and the photographer's skill (reexamined my technique, settings, and post-processing heavily and constantly).

Eventually, I just stopped shooting, and unexpectedly found myself in a shop, and sold my body on the spot when offered more money than I could have sold it for back in the states.

After a few months of Instagram and shooting with my cellphone (horrible!), I had the itch to buy a new body. There is only one camera that came to mind: The 5D3.

I don't know what it is, but besides the SUPREME, effortless handling over both my old Canons. Whatever flaws I had with my lenses (fringing, CA, softness) simply disappeared or became unnoticeable, and the files from the 5D3 are so easy to handle and post process.

The camera does what I want it to do.
Shooting in color is easy now.
Photography is fun again!

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Switching bodies making all the difference?

tools

sponsored links
Colt4570
510 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 01, 2013 20:44 |  #2

After film, I was using a 10d from 2003 for a good many years, and realized I had lost a little interest in photography. I started looking at the newer bodies, and found the 7d. I'm not sure why, but the 7d renewed my interest in taking photos.

Then 2 years ago, a friend introduced me to L glass, and it spiraled out of control from there!

Flickr (external link)
Gear

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 01, 2013 21:45 as a reply to  @ Colt4570's post |  #3

The reason u think u see less flaws is because the tighter pixel density of the crop camera enlarged to the same print or screen size means you are magnifying by 60% (1.6x) which means u are also exaggerating lens flaws by 60%. So there u go

That said I don't see anything terrible with pictures taken with my 7d vs the 5d3 besides everything being sharper on full frame. The 85 1.8 is known to have heavy fringing. Maybe u just got the wrong lenses

As for 5d2 vs 5d3 I assume the sensor on the newer camera has better dynamic range, lower noise, more bit depth, etc. but the level at which u see lens flaws should be the same.

It's all good though. Whatever it takes for u to like what u do is worth it

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,052 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 02, 2013 05:10 |  #4

The pixel density of the 40D and the 5DIII are actually pretty close (5D is about the same as an 8Mpix Cropper compared to 10Mpix for the 40D). But as said above if you are using the full frame (no cropping in post) then for the same sized reproduction the 40D images have to be enlarged 1.6 times more. This will always adversly affect image quality. As each camera sensor is different then the results will also vary, and I guess that there will be some that get a newer body and still prefer the results from the old, but there is a big difference in the technology between the 40D and 5DIII.

For any particular camera though good glass will always show through. If I had the choice between an older average body and good glass or a great body with rubbish lenses I'll take the good glass every time. Unfortunatly I'm stuck with average/poor glass and an old body too.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 02, 2013 05:57 |  #5

Not sure if this is the case of lens correction data applied in the 5D3 itself making everything look better.

Fringing and CA on my 16-35L used to be an issue with my 5Dc as it does not support on board lens correction.

Same lens, look different on different bodies.

I ­ Love ­ Cats
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 02, 2013 08:52 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Aswald wrote in post #16494708 (external link)
Not sure if this is the case of lens correction data applied in the 5D3 itself making everything look better.

Fringing and CA on my 16-35L used to be an issue with my 5Dc as it does not support on board lens correction.

Same lens, look different on different bodies.

That was my first thought.

I must say, however, that the 70-200 range is a lot more practical on FF than it is on APSC.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,583 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 02, 2013 09:05 |  #7

Time apart makes the heart grow fonder?

I didn't see the IQ between 5D2,3,6D to be drastic save the super high ISO's. Handing was drastic though. 5D3 via landslide although really love the size of the 6D. I have the older 5Dc, and it just feels like a tank, so heavy.

Sony A7siii/A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

davev
391 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 02, 2013 09:10 |  #8

BigAl007 wrote in post #16494673 (external link)
The pixel density of the 40D and the 5DIII are actually pretty close (5D is about the same as an 8Mpix Cropper compared to 10Mpix for the 40D). But as said above if you are using the full frame (no cropping in post) then for the same sized reproduction the 40D images have to be enlarged 1.6 times more. This will always adversly affect image quality. As each camera sensor is different then the results will also vary, and I guess that there will be some that get a newer body and still prefer the results from the old, but there is a big difference in the technology between the 40D and 5DIII.

For any particular camera though good glass will always show through. If I had the choice between an older average body and good glass or a great body with rubbish lenses I'll take the good glass every time. Unfortunatly I'm stuck with average/poor glass and an old body too.

Alan

The 5DMKII is the same as the 8mp crop cameras.

Dave, Flickr (external link) Smugmug (external link)
Canon 6D, 70D, Sony RX10M3, Panasonic FX1000.

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 02, 2013 21:28 |  #9

I Love Cats wrote in post #16494927 (external link)
That was my first thought.

I must say, however, that the 70-200 range is a lot more practical on FF than it is on APSC.

I do agree. The 70-200 (II) looks "uninteresting" on crop bodies...somehow.

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 02, 2013 21:31 |  #10

Charlie wrote in post #16494954 (external link)
Time apart makes the heart grow fonder?

I didn't see the IQ between 5D2,3,6D to be drastic save the super high ISO's. Handing was drastic though. 5D3 via landslide although really love the size of the 6D. I have the older 5Dc, and it just feels like a tank, so heavy.

It's unusual as the 5D3 is heavier than the 5Dc and yet the 5D3 just feel more secured in the hands, well, at least in mine and I don't have very big hands.

I didn't like how the battery door flexes and moves in the palm of my hands. Perhaps that explains the "insecure" grip.

Nevertheless, I still shoot with the 5Dc. Lovely pics every time...

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 03, 2013 04:46 |  #11

I hAted my 16-35 on my 7d.... On the 5d3.... A whole new animal

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 03, 2013 05:23 |  #12

Colt4570 wrote in post #16494015 (external link)
After film, I was using a 10d from 2003 for a good many years, and realized I had lost a little interest in photography. I started looking at the newer bodies, and found the 7d. I'm not sure why, but the 7d renewed my interest in taking photos.

Then 2 years ago, a friend introduced me to L glass, and it spiraled out of control from there!

Yep, glass is the sinkhole.

I see you own a 400 DO. How do you like it? I love mine.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,861 posts
Gallery: 2021 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 03, 2013 05:37 |  #13

kpjsy wrote in post #16493839 (external link)
I don't desire new lenses. Had a couple on the 40D that I loved (17-55) and hated (85.8). When I moved to the 5D2, I returned to the focal lengths I liked to shoot on film with the 50L (love), and 35L (learned to love equally).

The thing with the 40D and 5D2, I hated handling the files. People say image quality rests on lenses (I had the best, no excuses), lighting (became more aware), and the photographer's skill (reexamined my technique, settings, and post-processing heavily and constantly).

Eventually, I just stopped shooting, and unexpectedly found myself in a shop, and sold my body on the spot when offered more money than I could have sold it for back in the states.

After a few months of Instagram and shooting with my cellphone (horrible!), I had the itch to buy a new body. There is only one camera that came to mind: The 5D3.

I don't know what it is, but besides the SUPREME, effortless handling over both my old Canons. Whatever flaws I had with my lenses (fringing, CA, softness) simply disappeared or became unnoticeable, and the files from the 5D3 are so easy to handle and post process.

The camera does what I want it to do.
Shooting in color is easy now.
Photography is fun again!

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Switching bodies making all the difference?

Hrm,

I find it odd that it's any different to process your photos.
Fringing and CA disappearing, also just seems weird.

I think you might be suffering from a delusion that the 5D3 makes everything all better, like magic, which is what the internet will have you believe.

Or maybe not, maybe you just have more enthusiasm after buying such an expensive camera, that you're taking photos and paying attention and simply doing better photography as a result of your rekindled interest. And maybe the camera really isn't doing much different than you think.

Or maybe the 5D3 is literally just magic. At least until next year or so, when an even more magical camera comes out.

Nevermind if I came off negative, simply looking at it from another perspective.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,653 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 03, 2013 07:21 |  #14

MalVeauX wrote in post #16497573 (external link)
Hrm,

I find it odd that it's any different to process your photos.
Fringing and CA disappearing, also just seems weird.

I think you might be suffering from a delusion that the 5D3 makes everything all better, like magic, which is what the internet will have you believe.

Or maybe not, maybe you just have more enthusiasm after buying such an expensive camera, that you're taking photos and paying attention and simply doing better photography as a result of your rekindled interest. And maybe the camera really isn't doing much different than you think.

Or maybe the 5D3 is literally just magic. At least until next year or so, when an even more magical camera comes out.

Nevermind if I came off negative, simply looking at it from another perspective.

Very best,

I have to confess that my first reaction was similar... 'Is he shooting with the camera or smoking it?...'

I did a little digging...

http://www.lenstip.com …Chromatic_aberr​ation.html (external link)

Looks like at the current pixel densities, the crop sensors showcase CA better...:rolleyes:

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

I ­ Love ­ Cats
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 03, 2013 09:37 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

MakisM1 wrote in post #16497695 (external link)
I have to confess that my first reaction was similar... 'Is he shooting with the camera or smoking it?...'

I thought the exact opposite. My thinking was that a new toy really gets your interest. I felt the same way when I picked up my new (to me) lowly 5Dc.

sponsored links

2,433 views & 0 likes for this thread
The right body makes lenses shine?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.