Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 02 Dec 2013 (Monday) 19:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Birds and squirrels in the back yard

dansmail26
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 02, 2013 19:45 |  #1

Here's some pics my wife has taken over the last few days. Appreciate some constructive critiques!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

7D mark ii, Canon 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 f/4L non-is, Canon 10-18 efs, Canon 1.4x, Yongnuo 468 II

sponsored links
dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 02, 2013 19:45 |  #2

and a squirrel -

HOSTED PHOTO

7D mark ii, Canon 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 f/4L non-is, Canon 10-18 efs, Canon 1.4x, Yongnuo 468 II

devidjohn
88 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 03, 2013 01:45 |  #3

Lovely photo shoots, second image is really fabulous.

Attractive designer wedding invitations (external link)
My blog (external link)

dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 03, 2013 07:55 |  #4

Thanks! My wife is pretty [roud of them. She posts daily to a site, 365project, and these photo's have all made the 'favorites' page.
http://365project.org/​debihas27/365/2013-11 (external link)

recrisp
Goldmember
2,484 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined May 2008

Dec 03, 2013 09:42 as a reply to  @ dansmail26's post |  #5

I really like the bluejays together the best, that is a VERY good pose, in all of my time trying to get a shot that I liked, I have not ever gotten one that cool! :)
Your wife looks like she's having fun to me, and I'm jealous of your snow, hopefully we'll get some here this year.

If you look below in her EXIF information you will see that the setting using Aperture Priority chose settings that can detract from the otherwise excellent images. If she is happy with that, that's O.K., but she might consider trying out Manual shooting, that way, when she shoots the birds she can control the setting a lot better. The high f/13 aperture was not needed, (to me) and the high 1/3200 wasn't either, and I can't see a reason for the high ISO of 2000 either. Now, I wasn't there, so I can't say what the reasons were, but 'normally' the settings would be considerably lower than what is in the EXIF.

When the setting is above f/8 or a little more, you start to lose sharpness, sometimes it hurts more than others. (Usually, 'around' f/8 is the sweet spot, "usually")

The exposure of 3200 probably wasn't needed because although the Bluejays are fast, probably an exposure time of 800-ish would be fine.

An ISO of 2000 probably wouldn't be needed because there seems to be enough sunlight, so it should probably be around 400, at the most.

Like I said though, I wasn't there, she was, so I don't know the circumstances. The main thing is that she did get the shot, and they really are nice ones, and she does seem to have a good eye for this. :)

More than likely someone here that knows more than I do on all of this will chime in and give better help.
To get better help, if she really wants to get good constructive criticism, go to the Critique Forum, ask what could be done to help for the next time she runs across a similar situation.
Hopefully this helped some, and I am trying to help, not ruin her pictures that you posted. :)

Just for the record, I'm not the "Wildlife Forum Police", heheh, but birds are supposed to go in the Bird Forum, (see above in the Sticky) I know the occasional bird here isn't a big thing, but in case you weren't aware. I sure don't care, there could be birds in every forum here for all I care, I love 'em!:D

Randy

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: EF70-200mm f/4L USM +1.4x
Image Date: 2013-11-29 12:32:29 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 280mm
Aperture: f/13.0
Exposure Time: 0.0003 s (1/3200)
ISO equiv: 2000
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Manual
Flash Fired: No (enforced)

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 03, 2013 10:16 |  #6

No, don't be apologetic at all this is the kind of feedback she is looking for. When she gets home from work later I will def have her check out your comments.
She is working hard on doing more and more things in manual, thats one reason she updated to the 60d where she can easily make changes.
Did you get the exif info here or at the 365 site?
Thanks!

recrisp wrote in post #16498001 (external link)
I really like the bluejays together the best, that is a VERY good pose, in all of my time trying to get a shot that I liked, I have not ever gotten one that cool! :)
Your wife looks like she's having fun to me, and I'm jealous of your snow, hopefully we'll get some here this year.

If you look below in her EXIF information you will see that the setting using Aperture Priority chose settings that can detract from the otherwise excellent images. If she is happy with that, that's O.K., but she might consider trying out Manual shooting, that way, when she shoots the birds she can control the setting a lot better. The high f/13 aperture was not needed, (to me) and the high 1/3200 wasn't either, and I can't see a reason for the high ISO of 2000 either. Now, I wasn't there, so I can't say what the reasons were, but 'normally' the settings would be considerably lower than what is in the EXIF.

When the setting is above f/8 or a little more, you start to lose sharpness, sometimes it hurts more than others. (Usually, 'around' f/8 is the sweet spot, "usually")

The exposure of 3200 probably wasn't needed because although the Bluejays are fast, probably an exposure time of 800-ish would be fine.

An ISO of 2000 probably wouldn't be needed because there seems to be enough sunlight, so it should probably be around 400, at the most.

Like I said though, I wasn't there, she was, so I don't know the circumstances. The main thing is that she did get the shot, and they really are nice ones, and she does seem to have a good eye for this. :)

More than likely someone here that knows more than I do on all of this will chime in and give better help.
To get better help, if she really wants to get good constructive criticism, go to the Critique Forum, ask what could be done to help for the next time she runs across a similar situation.
Hopefully this helped some, and I am trying to help, not ruin her pictures that you posted. :)

Just for the record, I'm not the "Wildlife Forum Police", heheh, but birds are supposed to go in the Bird Forum, (see above in the Sticky) I know the occasional bird here isn't a big thing, but in case you weren't aware. I sure don't care, there could be birds in every forum here for all I care, I love 'em!:D

Randy

recrisp
Goldmember
2,484 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 03, 2013 10:28 as a reply to  @ dansmail26's post |  #7

I'm glad that y'all see it in the positive way. :)

She is going about it the correct way, and doing good along the way, it seems.
The EXIF was obtained by a Firefox browser Add-on I have, so I got it from the image here that you posted. To be honest, I have several EXIF readers, I am unsure as to which I actually use. heheh All I know is I use Firefox and I click on EXIF, but it doesn't show me which one I am using for some reason.

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 03, 2013 12:04 |  #8

Thanks, and sorry it is in the wrong thread!

dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 03, 2013 15:50 |  #9

We just talked about it. She was having trouble between the birds flying in and out quickly (there were 4-5 of them) and the bright (blue) snow. She did realize it wasn't perfect but like you said it was so rare to get two of them... She is going to do more experimenting with her aperture settings.

recrisp wrote in post #16498001 (external link)

Randy

recrisp
Goldmember
2,484 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 03, 2013 16:46 as a reply to  @ dansmail26's post |  #10

I know exactly how that is, you have to think fast, and sometimes I can't think fast enough to do what I need. heheh
Every year when I start shooting birds again, (usually when it's not so HOT!) I have to kind of re-learn what I need to do, 'if I don't use it, I lose it'...

It takes a little time to get in the groove, don't let her give up, like I said, she does seem to have a good eye, plus, she should see MY earlier shots, they were nowhere near as good as these.
Make sure she frequents the Bird Forum too, there's a LOT of good photographers there, plus, a lot of information too.

Tell her, "Good luck!". :D

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 03, 2013 18:17 |  #11

Thanks - did you get a look at her 365project pictures?

recrisp
Goldmember
2,484 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 03, 2013 18:28 as a reply to  @ dansmail26's post |  #12

I haven't gotten to look before, but I just did... :)

She's getting better, I think, I see a lot of potential, but to me, she picked the best to show us here, the bluejays and the squirrel! heheh
I have to say too, I apologize for not looking at the 365 Project earlier, I 'assumed' that the bluejay picture was really grainy, I just now viewed it larger and see that it is snowing (or sleeting, or powder from a tree). It makes it a LOT better looking, so I apologize for not looking earlier, I had stuff going on then.
Still, I would make sure that she try to not rely on the camera to make her picture's decisions, and the only way to do that is to shoot manual. Actual, a lot of people shoot other than manual, even some professionals, but they know what to do when they need to do it, that's all I mean.

She's doing good, and I saw several very nice shots on the 365 Project that I liked quite a bit, so she just needs to keep on doing what she's doing, meaning, shoot ALL of the time! :)

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 03, 2013 19:22 |  #13

I'll pass on ypour comments, she will like them.
Don't worry about telling her to shoot all the time, she averages 500 shots PER DAY!!!!

Thanks

Hazem
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 03, 2013 19:55 |  #14

Great colors on the first one, 50 shades of blue, lol :)

sponsored links

1,447 views & 0 likes for this thread
Birds and squirrels in the back yard
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.