Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Jul 2008 (Sunday) 15:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manual mode using a Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2

Ian ­ Trott
21 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 06, 2008 15:48 |  #1

Yesterday, I set up my ST-E2 on camera (EOS 40D) with my two 550EX flashes on stands. I wanted to shoot the flashes in manual mode at 1/32 - 1/16 power settings, but discovered that the flashes will only work in ETTL mode with my ST-E2. :cry::confused:

I tried to set the flashes to manual mode but nothing happens - the mode won't change.

There must be some way to fire them manually with an ST-E2. Surely Canon, in their great wisdom, didn't set this up as an ETTL only system!?! Tell me it ain't so! Please!

Is there any way to overide this so that I can set my flashes in manual mode and have the ST-E2 trigger them?

sponsored links
PaulBradley
278 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 06, 2008 15:50 |  #2

I believe it's the same as my 580s - you have to hold down the mode button for a few seconds, then it will go into manual mode - the M will keep flashing, that is normal. With another press of the mode button you are in slave stroboscopic mode, and another push to go back to ttl.

Ian ­ Trott
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 06, 2008 15:54 as a reply to  @ PaulBradley's post |  #3

Thanks Paul Bradley. I'm going to go downstairs right now and try that out. Be back in a flash! :lol:

Ian ­ Trott
THREAD ­ STARTER
21 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 06, 2008 16:06 as a reply to  @ Ian Trott's post |  #4

BRAVO!!! :)

Absolutely just what the Doctor ordered. Works like a charm.

Again, many thanks to you, Paul.

Don't think I've ever had a question answered so quickly on any forum. :D

Lovecross
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 08, 2011 06:52 |  #5

Thanks so much Paul (and Ian)... This has bugged me for ages, and I'm certain there is nothing in the user manual regarding this.

isaacimage
73 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 01, 2013 22:55 |  #6

PaulBradley wrote in post #5860249 (external link)
I believe it's the same as my 580s - you have to hold down the mode button for a few seconds, then it will go into manual mode - the M will keep flashing, that is normal. With another press of the mode button you are in slave stroboscopic mode, and another push to go back to ttl.

Paul - Have no idea how I'm thank full !;)
Bless ya
G.

IsaacImage.com

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 02, 2013 06:50 as a reply to  @ isaacimage's post |  #7

Note that this isn't the normal remote flash manual mode - this is independent slave manual mode. In normal remote flash manual mode, you control the power setting from the camera. But that takes a remote controller capable of doing it, i.e. a camera like the 7D or a flash unit like the 600 EX-RT.
When you go into independent manual mode, your flash will still be a remote flash, that fires in sync with the E-TTl slaves, if any, but the setup (power setting) has to be done on the independent flash itself.

This is supported by several slave capable flashes, and allows for extending the different manual power levels used indefinitely, regardless of the controller, but you have to take a walkabout to your flashes to set them up.

To disappoint some, it's indeed described in the user's manual for the flash unit. :-)

Anders

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 03, 2013 09:36 |  #8

apersson850 wrote in post #16494760 (external link)
Note that this isn't the normal remote flash manual mode - this is independent slave manual mode. In normal remote flash manual mode, you control the power setting from the camera. But that takes a remote controller capable of doing it, i.e. a camera like the 7D or a flash unit like the 600 EX-RT.
When you go into independent manual mode, your flash will still be a remote flash, that fires in sync with the E-TTl slaves, if any, but the setup (power setting) has to be done on the independent flash itself.

This is supported by several slave capable flashes, and allows for extending the different manual power levels used indefinitely, regardless of the controller, but you have to take a walkabout to your flashes to set them up.

To disappoint some, it's indeed described in the user's manual for the flash unit. :-)

He clearly states he's using a 40D and two 550EXs with STE2.

badphoto
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 03, 2013 15:14 as a reply to  @ CAPhotog's post |  #9

I have 2 550ex's. When I use one on camera as the master to control the other as slave, I can set manual power setting by using the one on camera. It's not available in the body (5d mk II) menu.

I was going to buy the Yongnuo 622 radio slaves, but posts around the net with one from a Yongnuo rep said a 622 on camera as master cannot set manual power settings for the 550ex. Why can't it duplicate the same manual power setting function in the body of a 550ex?

Anyone has a clear answer on this?

If this were so and no firmware update to the 622 transceivers, then looks like the only hope for 550ex owners is to wait for the dedicated 622 transmitter only that is already late from the original release date announcement.

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,257 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 03, 2013 19:04 |  #10

badphoto wrote in post #16498888 (external link)
Why can't it duplicate the same manual power setting function in the body of a 550ex?

The older flashes, as slaves, can only receive instructions from the master through the optical sensor on the flash. The newer flashes can receive the same instructions through the hotfoot; that's why they will work with the 622s.

badphoto
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 04, 2013 01:53 as a reply to  @ oldvultureface's post |  #11

>> The older flashes, as slaves, can only receive instructions from the master through the optical sensor on the flash

If this were the case, then how could ETTL ratio settings from the Yongnuo 622 work at all with the 550ex? It is clearly instructions through the hot shoe to the slave 550ex, as various posts on the net confirmed that this worked.

The question, again, is if the 622 can sit on the camera hot shoe and "pretends" to be a master 550ex to control ETTL power ratios to the slaves, then why can't it do the complete job and "pretend" to be the whole 550ex with manual power settings capability?

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,257 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 04, 2013 02:17 as a reply to  @ badphoto's post |  #12

The 550EX is not in slave mode when attached to a 622.

badphoto
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 04, 2013 02:37 as a reply to  @ oldvultureface's post |  #13

You care to explain more than a one liner?

So what mode is it in? Regular, not master or slave? So when attached to the 550ex, the Yongnuo 622 pretends to be the camera?

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 04, 2013 02:55 |  #14

CAPhotog wrote in post #16497979 (external link)
He clearly states he's using a 40D and two 550EXs with STE2.

Yes, and?

So what mode is it in? Regular, not master or slave?

You already figured it out. Since the 622 doesn't use the normal master/slave protocol, but indeed pretend to be a camera, with a flash in standard E-TTL mode mounted, it can't switch the mode of the 550 EX, since the 550 EX doesn't support mode switching through the hot shoe. But it does support setting the flash power level in E-TTL mode. Thus you can implement ratios in E-TTL that way, if you want to.

Anders

badphoto
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 04, 2013 03:31 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #15

That makes sense. Thanks.

So the ST-E2 is an overpriced half a** thing that should have included manual power settings because it uses the master/slave protocol.

And since, like you said, the 550ex cannot take manual power instructions from the hot shoe, then the coming Yongnuo stand alone transmitter won't help either.

sponsored links

8,036 views & 0 likes for this thread
Manual mode using a Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.