Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 12:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to the biz, a few questions about gear and services to offer

Matrim33
268 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 03, 2013 12:52 |  #1

Hello. I have slowly been starting to get in to taking photos for money. Mostly family and friends, and minor events (kids b-days and such). I am not looking to do this for a living as I own a separate business, but I would like to do it on the side for a little extra cash and to try something new.

So far I have used my T4i with a Tamron 18-270mm and a Sigma 30mm 1.4. I like having a zoom and a prime. The prime works well for low light and bokeh, and I like the versatility of my Tammy.

I just ordered a 6D with a 24-105mm L lens. I was thinking of grabbing a 85mm 1.8 lens to pair with it and maybe a 50mm or 40mm. FF is totally new to me I hope it doesn't mess me up too much :D Would this be a good line-up for family photos, portraits, and small events? Any thoughts on any other lenses I should look in to? I am advertising myself as being a discount service so I am not looking to buy a bunch of super expensive glass.

I called a local free paper that gets delivered in my community twice a month to see how much they charge for advertising. They are going to print on Friday and need to fill some space. They offered a great price to advertise for me. They deliver to 12,000 homes in a mostly older community that I live in. I'm scared to death of running the ad though :) So far I have networked everything I have done through friends and family and don't have a ton of experience. I'm going back and forth on maybe doing free work for a while to get more experience, or making the plunge and selling a discount service while being honest with my customers about my experience. I am very friendly and outgoing and don't have much trouble working with people I don't know.

The plan so far is for me to take the photos and my wife will do edits, printing, books, etc. We were thinking of offering a photo scanning service for old photos. Then taking those photos and making books/albums, online albums, and DVD slideshows. Has anybody here done anything like this? If it got crazy we could also send the photos to an online scanning service, they seem pretty affordable and I have read some good reviews. They also can handle slides and negatives.

Any thoughts you guys have would be appreciated. Thanks.

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

sponsored links
Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 03, 2013 12:54 |  #2

Also, I was planning on selling my T4i with the Tammy and Sigma.

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 03, 2013 12:55 |  #3

Matrim33 wrote in post #16498509 (external link)
Also, I was planning on selling my T4i with the Tammy and Sigma.

If you are charging for your work, keep the t4I as backup. Nothing worse than being on a shoot and having gear fail without backup.

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 03, 2013 14:32 |  #4

gonzogolf wrote in post #16498516 (external link)
If you are charging for your work, keep the t4I as backup. Nothing worse than being on a shoot and having gear fail without backup.

Not a terrible idea. I would like to keep both, but would like more money for lenses too...

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 03, 2013 14:34 |  #5

Matrim33 wrote in post #16498775 (external link)
Not a terrible idea. I would like to keep both, but would like more money for lenses too...

Understandable. But things change once you start accepting work from the public. No excuses for not getting salable work every time out. Backup gear is one of the things that separates the pro from a pretender.

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 05, 2013 11:10 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #6

I went ahead and bought the 85mm 1.8 Canon lens. I will use my 50mm 1.8 for now to help decide if I want to work with that focal length or go wider with my next prime.

I will hold on to the T4i for now just in case, thanks for the advice gonzo. I wanted to get another lens, but after thinking about it maybe it is best to keep the T4i, plus I may want a crop here and there anyways. We'll see where I go from here.

sponsored links

746 views & 0 likes for this thread
New to the biz, a few questions about gear and services to offer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.