Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 15:00
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What is your preferred aspect ratio? Aspects below are exhaustive."
1:1 (square or most medium format)
7.2%
2:1(superwide pano)
2.4%
3:2 (35mm format)
48.2%
4:3 (micro 4/3rds)
3.6%
5:4 (8x10 or large format)
6%
7:6 (some medium format)
1.2%
16:9 (pano)
4.8%
other standard ratio
0%
however you feel like cropping that particular photo
26.5%

65 voters, 83 votes given (any choice choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What aspect ratio do you prefer and why?

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 04, 2013 03:37 |  #16

Mine tend to be subject related. I have an A3+ printer and paper, but cut my own mats so am able to mix and match. I don't print unless I want to frame and hang something, or have had a request to do so, when I will have received instructions on size/frame etc.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links
lsquare
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 04, 2013 04:58 |  #17

M_Six wrote in post #16499023 (external link)
I can't put a finger on why, but I usually crop to 4:3. Just looks better to me.

And what if you want to print?

Ashura
117 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 04, 2013 05:09 |  #18

I generally keep aspect ratio as shot (3:2) but when composition doesn't work I often go for 1:1

flickr (external link)
50D, EF 24-105/4 L, EF 50/1.4, EF 35/2.0, EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5, 430EX, D-Lite 4 It kit

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,052 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 04, 2013 05:49 |  #19

I mostly leave images in the native 3:2 ratio for uploading to Flickr. If I'm printing then the ratio is the one needed to fit the paper/frame combination. I print up to A4 at home, and usually crop to leave a 5mm border all round. For some subjects printed in B&W though I will trim the A4 to 10×8 with a 0.2" border, just like I would have made the print in the darkroom. I get cheap frames with a 16×12 mat so use that rather than 18×12 which would also fit the frame, but the only alternative mat locally costs nearly what I pay for the glazed frame with mat. I do also do some images in other ratios, mostly square if I think it looks "right" or fits with the final use needs.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

StayFrosty
407 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 04, 2013 06:35 |  #20

Most often I leave stuff at 3:2 as most people seem to. Having said that the 16:9 aspect seems to feel right to me, maybe because that's what computer monitors and TVs are? I also really like the 2.35:1 cinematc aspect ratio but generally does not work too well for stills unless panoramas which I really like.

Actually, on reflection I just crop it to whatever feels right without paying attention to the aspect ratio.

flickr (external link) Vimeo (external link)

Yno
863 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 04, 2013 08:50 as a reply to  @ StayFrosty's post |  #21

My ultimate goal with most pictures (as an amateur shooting for myself) is to print and frame the best shots. I mostly print 13" x 19", which is pretty close to 2:3. But lately a lot of my pictures, like bridges and sunrise/sunsets have looked better as 8.5" x 25" which I also print and frame. Red River supplies that size paper, I cut my own mats, and I buy custom cut frame parts to assemble myself.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,885 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 04, 2013 09:08 |  #22

I wonder if I can ask a moderator to restart the poll and split the last option:

whatever suits the photo, but still a standard ratio
whatever suits the photo, but ratio be-damned

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,312 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Dec 04, 2013 09:37 |  #23

I like 3:2.. I guess because like others, I've gotten used to it. 4:3 was my second favorite, because it fit nicely in monitors. But today, most monitors are 16:9.

I find that modern cameras have enough megapixels to let you crop and have enough PPI left to get quality prints at whatever aspect ratio you want or to fit into a 4:3 or 16:9 screen for the desktop or web.

scriveyn
Goldmember
1,846 posts
Gallery: 730 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 04, 2013 10:44 |  #24

Nathan wrote in post #16500695 (external link)
... whatever suits the photo, but ratio be-damned

that's me :D

For printing I just select the width, say 13cm from the classic 13x18 prints, and the lab does the rest.

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 04, 2013 13:22 |  #25

I usually adjust the composition to the camera frame (3:2) and A4 paper fits nicely.

When I shot 6x6 film, my compositions were often more squarish and I'd trim the paper accordingly.

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,885 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 04, 2013 14:41 |  #26

I like to frame as I take the photo... I think it'd be hard not to and I'm not a huge fan of cropping. I don't like the fact that the 5D2 is a 98% viewfinder, but oh well.

I didn't realize that I can pick different aspect ratios in-camera... gotta give that a try. Does anyone do that? Maybe I'll start a different poll another time to see if people use it.

Edit: Looks like in-camera aspect ratios is a newer feature on the 5D3 that I wasn't aware of because I didn't read the darn manual... Interweb says my old 7D had it, too.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,052 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 04, 2013 14:49 |  #27

Nathan wrote in post #16501536 (external link)
I like to frame as I take the photo... I think it'd be hard not to and I'm not a huge fan of cropping. I don't like the fact that the 5D2 is a 98% viewfinder, but oh well.

I didn't realize that I can pick different aspect ratios in-camera... gotta give that a try. Does anyone do that? Maybe I'll start a different poll another time to see if people use it.

No if I had a camera with that function I would not use it. Just shoot using the whole of the sensor, and at maximum quality. Of course if it were a DSLR or other camera that supported it that would be RAW. You can always reduce the data later, be that bit depth/quality or cropping away actual pixels.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,885 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 04, 2013 14:53 |  #28

Maximum quality is why I'd use the aspect ratio feature in camera. That way, I get into the habit of composing how I want the final image and I'm not cropping later. Probably useful for some situations more than others. Landscape would be a good use.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 04, 2013 15:58 |  #29

Nathan wrote in post #16501582 (external link)
Maximum quality is why I'd use the aspect ratio feature in camera. That way, I get into the habit of composing how I want the final image and I'm not cropping later. Probably useful for some situations more than others. Landscape would be a good use.

Changing the aspect ratio in the camera doesn't change the shape of the sensor. You're just using less of the sensor. Throwing away pixels that are outside the crop, same thing as cropping in post.

I don't think it will crop a raw file anyway? but I'm not 100% sure about that.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 04, 2013 16:00 |  #30

Nathan wrote in post #16501582 (external link)

Its not like the pixels that get cropped to change the shape of the image go somewhere else in the photo. Its a crop whether you do it in camera or afterward so its still a loss in total pixels.

sponsored links

4,105 views & 0 likes for this thread
What aspect ratio do you prefer and why?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.