Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 14:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 30 1.4 - what's the fascination?

this thread is locked
mwsilver
Goldmember
3,911 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 04, 2013 10:48 |  #61

I Love Cats wrote in post #16500838 (external link)
No, not quite wide enough. There is quite a difference between 18mm and 15mm, and my 15-85 is where I want to be. Tried the 24 2.8 IS on FF. Focal length is right. Too slow. 24L is just plain out of my price range. May Santa can help me out.

I understand, I have a 15-85 as well, but 18mm at f/1.8 sounds very appealing even without IS.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

sponsored links
adamo99
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 04, 2013 10:49 |  #62

I had to double-check the URL at the top of the page to make sure I hadn't accidentally stumbled onto the DPReview forums.

artyH
Goldmember
2,108 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 04, 2013 10:50 |  #63

Actually, Sigma recommended only getting F1.4 lenses if you have microadjust on your camera. Of course, this was before the new Art line and their dock. This limited the Sigma 30F1.4 to use on cameras like the 50D or 7D. I have crop bodies without microadjust, so I have happily used the Canon 35 F2s (old and now the IS version). The 35F2 is a fine low light lens, with excellent AF on any crop body it was mounted on.
I personally don't care what the typical user of a crop body buys, but whenever I see someone carrying a crop Canon, 9 out of ten times it is the 18-55. So what?
F2 is much better in low light than F2.8, but there are advantages at times if you can go wider. I generally want more depth of field when taking photos of people, but there is no doubt about the value of F1.6 or F1.8. Many reviewers said that the Sigma 30F1.4 was not so hot in the corners, so this was an additional reason for going with the new Canon 35F2 IS.
I still don't get the original question.

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 04, 2013 10:53 |  #64

Limbwalker wrote in post #16500828 (external link)
I've learned that folks who post condescending snarky remarks don't deal well with those who are willing and capable of defending themselves. They usually just end up hoping they leave the forum so the bad behavior won't be challenged. Sorry sport. Wrong guy.

whatever man. you think you are being so polite and respectful of people when you are being condescending and arrogant.

maybe it's because English isn't your first language? I don't know, maybe your posts are conveying an attitude you don't wish for them to convey, but multiple people in this thread feel you are coming off pretty crass.

you have to learn that if what you say can be perceived negatively, it will come off that way on a forum.

this thread is going nowhere positive, I'm out of here.

best of luck not coming off like an assh0le in future posts.

kipliq
752 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 04, 2013 11:15 as a reply to  @ Jerobean's post |  #65

I think you got heat because of the question, you advised you know a bunch about fast primes but you still ask the question? Hope this helps. But I purchased the 7D over 5D/5DII because of the new AF system and the speed not by the reach. I recently purchased the sig/canon 35 1.4 because I wanted more light in lower light situations and I would like to use more stop motion and IS will not help. I hate to say this the 50 1.8 is a horrible lens, I had it for a few weeks and I gave it to my brother. The build and af is horrible. It seems your are placing the people who buy crop or ff in categories that are not always the case, not sure what you are really asking. I was looking to by the 5DIII but found that I'm happy with my 7D.

"Space Mountain may be the oldest ride in the park, but it has the longest line." - Ric Flair

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 04, 2013 12:25 |  #66

Jerobean wrote in post #16500949 (external link)
...but multiple people in this thread feel you are coming off pretty crass.

I think it's more unintentional egocentrism. Either way...I think any point to this thread sailed awhile ago.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 04, 2013 12:42 |  #67
bannedPermanent ban

Interesting thread...

Limbwalker
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 04, 2013 12:43 |  #68

Sorry for the direction this thread went.

I think he's going out on a limb...

Sorry to say but your opinions are a bit naive...

Pretty sure that Gerry's comments early on were rather unnecessary, and of course, when a fellow goes about pointing those things out on a public internet forum, that's usually when things go downhill quickly...

Jero's brilliant contributions

.you really have no clue what you are talking about.

either check your ego at the door or figure it out for yourself.

Certainly did no good either. So Jero old buddy, enjoy life on my ignore list. ;)

ArtyH, it was an open-ended question to which I was hoping folks would fill in the blanks. In other words, users of the lens could explain why they seem to be so enthusiastic about it. A few here have, which I appreciate. It's actually a lens I wouldn't have really given much thought to before, but now I will. However, you make a great point too...

I have crop bodies without microadjust, so I have happily used the Canon 35 F2s (old and now the IS version). The 35F2 is a fine low light lens, with excellent AF on any crop body it was mounted on.

So in your opinion then, you'd rather have the Canon 35/2 than the Sigma?

Shoot first and ask questions later.

Limbwalker
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 04, 2013 12:45 |  #69

Facedodge, I love the photo by the way.

I ­ Love ­ Cats
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 04, 2013 13:05 |  #70
bannedPermanent ban

I just read back through this thread. The OP starts off saying he doesn't get the point of a particular piece of equipment ,THAT HE DOES NOT USE. Then gets defensive when people have opinions that don't agree with his. Simultaneously, he claims the search for knowledge and years of experience. My friend, the two are certainly quite unrelated. If experience implies knowledge, please tell my exactly how many years of doing something poorly does it take to master a task? In order to gain knowledge, one must be willing to admit ignorance. The sum total, as in every bit of it, of human knowledge is based on ignorance. Everything that anyone currently knows, was at one time, unknown. It was discovered by someone with the audacity to close his mouth and open his eyes. I believe it is The Cowboy Creed that says, "You will always learn more with your eyes open and your mouth shut, than the other way around." That and "Never squat with your spurs on." will always be good advice.

Jerobean
785 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 04, 2013 13:17 |  #71

Aww man, I'm on your ignore list?

I was really looking forward to your future 'questions' where you ask ridiculous things then yell at everyone for talking down to you because you are so knowledgeable.

maybe your next post can be titled "what's the deal with L lenses, they sure seem like a waste of money" and your question can be "my 50 1.4 takes better pictures than all the L glass I've seen people use." from there you can make a bunch of assumptions and attack everyone that attempts to help you through your confusion...the plot twist will arrive when you, in fact, are the one teaching everyone else and your question was just a trick to lure people into your thread so you can empower them with your knowledge.

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 04, 2013 13:20 |  #72
bannedPermanent ban

I think it was more of a weak jab at the Sigma brand

I ­ Love ­ Cats
269 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 04, 2013 13:29 |  #73
bannedPermanent ban

One thing it clearly was not: a quest for knowledge. This thread has 8,529 entries that quite adequately show how people use this lens, and what it is capable of.

https://photography-on-the.net …gma+30mm+f%2F1.​4&page=569

kipliq
752 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 04, 2013 13:54 as a reply to  @ I Love Cats's post |  #74

My first 35 1.4 art had horrible AF my second copy better but still had issues in different lighting. My refurb canon 35 1.4 L is spot on in all different lighting so far. I tested both the sigma and canon in the same lighting situations. Canon grabbed correct focus sigma backed focused in different lighting. Canon focus is faster.

"Space Mountain may be the oldest ride in the park, but it has the longest line." - Ric Flair

Limbwalker
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 04, 2013 14:20 |  #75

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #16501300 (external link)
I think it was more of a weak jab at the Sigma brand

Oh the internet clairvoyant's are on the loose again... :rolleyes:

Seriously, you guys should cash in on that ability. Or at least tune into Rush every day so he can feed your thirst for conspiracy theories...

I coudn't care less what brand my lenses are.

But I have learned very quickly how insecure and defensive some of the Sigma lens owners can be about their choices. That's a pity, since those behaviors alone make some folks suspicious of the brand, regardless of how good or bad their products might be. Since we're throwing old cliche's around, there is one that goes "where there's smoke, there's fire..."

I love cats, instead of spending all your bandwidth taking cheap shots, how about just posting the link to the thread? That would have actually been helpful.

Kipliq, thanks for the contribution. What's the difference between the 35 "art" lens and the 30? (and please don't say "5mm" LOL!)

sponsored links

9,720 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 30 1.4 - what's the fascination?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.