Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 03 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 19:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Let sleeping dogs lie

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 03, 2013 19:06 |  #1

C&C welcome:

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/11198229584_20f5ceb25b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …47401703@N06/11​198229584/  (external link)
Sleepingdoglie (external link) by tmoore323 (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links
CactusJuice
853 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 03, 2013 19:55 |  #2

Adorable subject. The exposure is pretty good. Black or white pets can be tricky to expose.

Unfortunately, the image is a ordinary snapshot. The crop is awkward. You've got a couple pieces of paw that don't make any sense. There's no thought in the composition. Why shooting down at the dog. For example, get your camera down on the ground, down on his/her level.

tmoore323
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 03, 2013 20:08 |  #3

CactusJuice wrote in post #16499518 (external link)
Adorable subject. The exposure is pretty good. Black or white pets can be tricky to expose.

Unfortunately, the image is a ordinary snapshot. The crop is awkward. You've got a couple pieces of paw that don't make any sense. There's no thought in the composition. Why shooting down at the dog. For example, get your camera down on the ground, down on his/her level.

Thanks for the feed back, I was laying on my stomach when I took this shot and well that's where he put his paws, any thoughts on re-cropping?

chubbyone
661 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 03, 2013 21:18 as a reply to  @ tmoore323's post |  #4

Nothing special here as ^ pointed out.

Try resting the camera on the ground, move more to your right and fill more of the viewfinder with dog and less carpet. I fire at my dog a lot, and rarely get shots I'm in love with, it's hard to make anything sleeping on the floor too terribly interesting tho.

The light also looks quite harsh here, point the flash at the wall or ceiling and bounce it, or use PP to soften what you can.

Better yet, get him outside in natural light, pet shots always work better in the elements for me.

6D | EF 35 f2 IS | EF 50 f1.4 | EF 85 f1.8 | EF 135 f2.0

tmoore323
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 03, 2013 21:50 |  #5

chubbyone wrote in post #16499729 (external link)
Nothing special here as ^ pointed out.

Try resting the camera on the ground, move more to your right and fill more of the viewfinder with dog and less carpet. I fire at my dog a lot, and rarely get shots I'm in love with, it's hard to make anything sleeping on the floor too terribly interesting tho.

The light also looks quite harsh here, point the flash at the wall or ceiling and bounce it, or use PP to soften what you can.

Better yet, get him outside in natural light, pet shots always work better in the elements for me.

I'm happy to give your the raw to edit if your willing....

And this was bounced/dark dog hard to balance :)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,456 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 03, 2013 22:20 |  #6

The dog is cute, but give consideration to the background...the various colors and checkered pattern of the distracts from your subject. A neutral monotone setting would be much better. Sweet pup! :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

tmoore323
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 04, 2013 05:37 |  #7

David Arbogast wrote in post #16499879 (external link)
The dog is cute, but give consideration to the background...the various colors and checkered pattern of the distracts from your subject. A neutral monotone setting would be much better. Sweet pup! :)

Thanks!

shanehawley
89 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Dec 04, 2013 06:38 |  #8

I find best when shooting pets, get on their eye level. So in this case, you should be laying down too while taking the picture, if they are sitting, you crouch down, etc

tmoore323
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 04, 2013 14:12 |  #9

shanehawley wrote in post #16500414 (external link)
I find best when shooting pets, get on their eye level. So in this case, you should be laying down too while taking the picture, if they are sitting, you crouch down, etc

Thanks, yes as I said earlier I was laying down...

sticknpuck
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 04, 2013 15:03 |  #10

Cute little guy for sure but it's just another dog snapshot. Is this an image representative of your photography that you feel needs critique?

Matt
flickr (external link)

tmoore323
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 04, 2013 15:11 |  #11

sticknpuck wrote in post #16501607 (external link)
Cute little guy for sure but it's just another dog snapshot. Is this an image representative of your photography that you feel needs to be critiqued?

Well figured it was a cute pic and personally liked the leading lines on the carpet, but maybe I'm just showing off my new puppy :)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 04, 2013 17:31 as a reply to  @ tmoore323's post |  #12

I agree with David that the carpet busy for the shot and is a bit distracting. Too bad he wasn't lying on a cushion from the couch or small throw pillow for example. it would also have been nice to see more of the dog too.

BTW, did you follow that link I left for you in the other topic with the light beams and stone steps?

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

tmoore323
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 04, 2013 20:30 |  #13

navydoc wrote in post #16501958 (external link)
I agree with David that the carpet busy for the shot and is a bit distracting. Too bad he wasn't lying on a cushion from the couch or small throw pillow for example. it would also have been nice to see more of the dog too.

BTW, did you follow that link I left for you in the other topic with the light beams and stone steps?

It's on my list Gene, thanks!

sponsored links

1,358 views & 0 likes for this thread
Let sleeping dogs lie
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.