Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 04 Dec 2013 (Wednesday) 14:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Zenfolio Cust service issue, switch to SM?

digitalduck
599 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 04, 2013 14:27 |  #1

So long story short, so cyber monday sale.. i was 3 days away from my trial being over.. so i took advatnage of the 50% off and bought my ultimate $60 for $30.. then the next morning i loaded up my site and my custom logo was gone and all the text were was basic like times new roman etc.. :(

So apparently my ultimate package does not have custom fonts or logos.. its not even the cheapest package. I emailed a guy (no phone number) and all he said he would do (this was Tuesday) was give me a 20% making the 120 down to $96... I wanted to just go the 120 for 60 which i would have done the day before, he wouldnt honor the cyber sale discount or/upgrade.

So Smugmug offers custom logos on their 40 and 60 packages so even though i ike the layout of my site.. its a principle thing... Thoughts?

sponsored links
digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
599 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 04, 2013 22:39 |  #2

What im wondering is should i switch because of this?

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 04, 2013 23:09 |  #3

From someone who went from SM to Zen. I honestly prefer SM for my photos and customability but the downside is SM is way more $$$ than Zen. I just can justify the yearly expense from SM.

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 05, 2013 08:25 |  #4

digitalduck wrote in post #16502716 (external link)
What im wondering is should i switch because of this?

Only you can decide, I am at work right now and cant pull up the Zen site, but they have a long list of feature differences between the levels, did you look at that before purchasing. I am not sure if text is listed.

NYC2BGI
846 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 05, 2013 08:37 |  #5

I have had my problems with both Smugmug and Zenfolio but now prefer Smugmug since they re-launched the site with new features. The bottom line is that Smugmug now looks better than Zenfolio.

Canon 5D3, 5D2, 40D
EF 50mm f1.4, EF 85mm f1.8,
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
http://www.facebook.co​m/HightechPix (external link)

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 05, 2013 08:47 |  #6

NYC2BGI wrote in post #16503365 (external link)
...The bottom line is that Smugmug now looks better than Zenfolio.

Agreed but at near 3x the cost though. :(

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
599 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 05, 2013 09:01 |  #7

OuttaCtrl wrote in post #16503388 (external link)

Also agreed, however I just need the $60 plan at $48 with a coupon thy sent me. Has custom domain and custom logo and same plan at Zen is $98 with coupon.

My issue is SM doesn't even have a background transition of photos like my Zen site does on thr homepagd, Did I miss it? I know the customization is easier with Zen and all of the layouts with SM basically look the same but for the cost difference I'd like to find something on SM which is similar to what I'm using now.

NYC2BGI
846 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 05, 2013 14:14 |  #8

OuttaCtrl wrote in post #16503388 (external link)

Yep that is the bad part.

Canon 5D3, 5D2, 40D
EF 50mm f1.4, EF 85mm f1.8,
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
http://www.facebook.co​m/HightechPix (external link)

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
599 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 05, 2013 14:38 |  #9

True but I only need $48 to get my custom domain and logo vs $96 and Zen for same thing

mr2step
442 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 09, 2013 10:17 |  #10

I have had Zenfolio now for a few years and I too, took up the 50% off sale and upgraded to a premium level to allow me to sell my prints at my price, not stock. Honestly, customer service has ALWAYS been awesome with Zenfolio and am surprised to hear of the OC's problems. My only thought is that since it was a trial maybe it had something to do with the change over however , I would say that if the OC knew what template they used , it should be the same and should be saved in the template catalog. All that needs to be redone is reapply the template and voila! you should be close to where you were IF you created a custom template. if you used one of the pre made templates then it should be even easier as the fonts and colors are already built in. Overall, I'm pretty happy with Zenfolio. Only time will tell how the printing side of Zen plays out but I have been super happy with customer service. They've ALWAYS gotten right back to me in my e-mails same day including weekends.

Do what you love, and you will never work a day in your life.
www.Brettmissick.com (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/brettmissickphotogra​phy (external link)

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
599 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 09, 2013 14:49 |  #11

Mr2step: Yeah It was the cutom logo that I made and the ultimate package didnt allow that (which was what I "upraded" to) I spoke to the guy again via email and he still said all he would do is honor the 25% which is too bad because I can find that myself...

Bummer..becuase SmugMug base 40 and $60 both allow for custom logo and font...

ZenLaura
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 10, 2013 16:58 |  #12

As a Zenfolio employee I am sorry to hear that this happened. Where I think the misunderstanding took place is with the trial. The trial account you started allowed you to try the Premium subscription. So when you upgraded your Trial to a lower level subscription, you lost some of the Premium features. To make sure this is apparent there is an explicit permission box you have to check that lists what features you will be losing by upgrading to a lower subscription. Maybe you were in a rush and did not read this alert but in general we do our best to prevent any confusion with this kind of thing..

digitalduck wrote in post #16501474 (external link)
So long story short, so cyber monday sale.. i was 3 days away from my trial being over.. so i took advatnage of the 50% off and bought my ultimate $60 for $30.. then the next morning i loaded up my site and my custom logo was gone and all the text were was basic like times new roman etc.. :(

So apparently my ultimate package does not have custom fonts or logos.. its not even the cheapest package. I emailed a guy (no phone number) and all he said he would do (this was Tuesday) was give me a 20% making the 120 down to $96... I wanted to just go the 120 for 60 which i would have done the day before, he wouldnt honor the cyber sale discount or/upgrade.

So Smugmug offers custom logos on their 40 and 60 packages so even though i ike the layout of my site.. its a principle thing... Thoughts?

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
599 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 11, 2013 09:20 |  #13

Zenlaura,

Yes that is exactly what it was. Where the problem was for me however, from a customer retention aspect is that I realized I had upgraded to the wrong package and asked right away if I could be upgraded to the next correct package I had initially meant to choose. Yes it was my mistake completely, I'm not denying that however I asked since the sale was yesterday could I be upgraded to that package at that price since I meant to choose that package initially. That's where I figured there would be some leverage in allowing me to upgrade to the correct package. That's all :).

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,897 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Dec 12, 2013 00:00 |  #14

digitalduck wrote in post #16501474 (external link)
. . . the next morning I loaded up my site and my custom logo was gone and all the text was basic like times new roman etc.

So apparently my ultimate package does not have custom fonts or logos . . .

ZenLaura wrote in post #16517131 (external link)
As a Zenfolio employee I am sorry to hear that this happened. Where I think the misunderstanding took place is with the trial . . . when you upgraded your Trial to a lower level subscription, you lost some of the Premium features.

So, with Zenfolio, custom fonts are actually considered a "Premium" feature, one that you have to buy a more expensive plan in order to get? Really? A font? That is hard to believe.

I am glad I am with Smugmug. My site is very customizable (at least far more customizable than I will ever need or use), and is only something like $60 or something per year. And guess what? If I don't like Times New Roman, I am actually allowed to change it without paying an extra fifty bucks or whatever Zen is trying to get out of you!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
599 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 12, 2013 18:58 |  #15

So in an effort to try and make things work with Zenfolio I have decided to cancel and go with SmugMug.. Its too bad the CS couldnt work with me.. i know im small potatoes now, but im growing bigger and getting stronger and soon...well who knows lol..

Anyway regarding the SM change, can someone maybe help me out.. are there ANY themes with SM which allow you to not have your gallery images on the homepage but a slideshow of said images?

sponsored links

3,212 views & 0 likes for this thread
Zenfolio Cust service issue, switch to SM?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.